• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

BSammy

HSC
I think it's actually about 80c more.

All my shifts are now at that rate, which is pretty awesome.

Once the head office cashier goes on holiday and I cover for a month, I'm going to be on the same rate as that from then on, which I think is another 80c an hour more.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Yay finished my 2 grocery shifts.
Probably going to be back in bakery 36 hrs/week from now on :)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
i got a couple of qs...

what is the 1st wage i will get as im 17 and would be working as a casual...(im aware ill get like 3 raises within 2 months)

and how many hrs is a normal shift?
What state are you in?

No such thing as a 'normal' shift. Your manager will roster you anywhere between 3 hours and 11 hours.

kahlanei

HSC
Have been lurking for a bit and thought I'd post...

Last shift at the supermarket tomorrow... Got my 6-week evaluation today with the comment "I don't know why I bothered when you're leaving already, but thought I'd better do it properly..."

Stocktake on Friday at the servo, and starting on Monday with open on Friday! So excited, but really not sure what to expect... Anyone work in petrol and know what exactly the 2IC does? I have no idea what to expect. My woolies job is the only one I've had in my life and I've only been there 6 weeks...

quick90

HSC
The new shirts are done in shirt measurements, not body measurements right?

gypo101

HSC
When performing repetitive tasks it is easy to become bored and overlook important details. Please outline in 100 words or less, what would you do in this situation to ensure the job gets done properly?

so for this question
i wrote i would do my utmost to concentrate on the job and that i would try to do one section then complete it, then switch to a different section to ensure that boredom wouldn't ensue...

but that is all i wrote and i need more and i can't think of any could someone plz help and also check if what i wrote is good? thanks

im guessing that taking a short 2 minute break ever hour to ensure u don't get bored is a no go so i shouldn't write it down, right?

HSC
really? supervisors have different rates?
not all supervisors claim it, but i do coz i'm greedy like that. and you only get it when you are the "in charge" supervisor, not just floating around coz you can.

is it right that my overtime should have been charged at normal rates when my last three hours (which put me over 38) were done on a sunday?

MMacka

HSC
N/A
not all supervisors claim it, but i do coz i'm greedy like that. and you only get it when you are the "in charge" supervisor, not just floating around coz you can.

is it right that my overtime should have been charged at normal rates when my last three hours (which put me over 38) were done on a sunday?
You should be paid an overtime rate for the hours that took you over 38 on Sunday. You should also get time and a half (for Sunday trade) and your casual 20% loading on top of that overtime rate.

If you weren't paid then you need to chase the people up in cash office and they will put it in your pay for next weeks.

twelvemonths

HSC
Does anyone have the morning SCO attendant routine that's on Storenet? It's the really simple one with the Step and Action columns: the 'actions' are in dot points. I've got the evening one but I think I threw the morning one away :(

SS-champion

HSC
Does anyone have the morning SCO attendant routine that's on Storenet? It's the really simple one with the Step and Action columns: the 'actions' are in dot points. I've got the evening one but I think I threw the morning one away :(
I don't actually have it but the steps are:

1. Put the notes from the dispenser bag in the note dispensers. (Under the scanner) eg. $5, $20 and $50 notes.
2. Sign in to the POS.
3. Do store log in and turn the lane light on.
4. Go back to the welcome screen.
5. Do a change order for the coins on the SCO's that need doing for that day. i.e write down how many bags of each coin denomination you need for each SCO. Hand it to the cash office.

And basically it's as easy as that because you no longer need to type in the quantity of notes/coins. This is done on the comp in the cash office.

twelvemonths

HSC
What are the criteria that CSMs usually look for to become a supervisor? I'd imagine something like this:

1. Been at the company for 1 year +
2. Over the age of 18
3. Good attitude and great customer service

bensneddon

HSC
...and i'm meant to do all that in 30 mins? gah!
30 minutes is usually allocated for the pre-opening procedures for a SCO Attendant for a store with 5 or 6 SCOs.

With practise, you should be able to do 5 SCOs in 15 mins.

bensneddon

HSC
What are the criteria that CSMs usually look for to become a supervisor? I'd imagine something like this:

1. Been at the company for 1 year +
2. Over the age of 18
3. Good attitude and great customer service
1. My partner was hired as a CSM from another non-supermarket company
2. I was 16 when I was appointed Duty CSM of the biggest store in our area group
3. Ideally yes, but often your CSM/service supervisors won't have as higher standard of customer service as others in the store. (I'm a culprit of this!)

Service supervision seems to be one of those things that people just fall into! If you're interested, defintely speak to your CSM, SSM and Store Manager. Your line manager is supposed to do a performance appraisal for EBA staff once a year. In this, you are given opportunity to state how you would like to progress with the company, and how the company can help you achieve your goals.

If you're really keen, ask your SSM if you can go into the store on your day off and look at some of the policies and procedures that relate to the front end on StoreNet. You can learn so much about store services on StoreNet! Or, ask us questions on here - we've already put in the hard yards and know far too much!

bensneddon

HSC
Right. The problem is, I get only a couple of SCO openings a month.
I've only done about 3 SCO openings before (in a year) and I can do it in 20 mins. It's fairly straightforward, and they've streamlined it even more since Store Release 9.3, because you no longer need to enter the quantity of notes you are inserting to each SCO (it is done in invoice now by an SSA)

I know of stores where the opening supervisors (who starts an hour before trade commences) put in all the floats (20) and do the opening procedure for 5 SCOs, and change orders for all registers!!! Insane or what?

twelvemonths

HSC
Thanks Ben.

That yearly appraisal... when does it come? Is it the same for all employees (e.g. in June each year) or on your yearly anniversary of service?

I think I'm a little too young at the moment to become a supervisor... maybe 2010 or 2011 (hopefully I'm not still there in '11). I would say a stint on SCO would help as it's a bit of a transition. You're not a supervisor but it's better than being an operator.

bensneddon

HSC
Thanks Ben.

That yearly appraisal... when does it come? Is it the same for all employees (e.g. in June each year) or on your yearly anniversary of service?

I think I'm a little too young at the moment to become a supervisor... maybe 2010 or 2011 (hopefully I'm not still there in '11). I would say a stint on SCO would help as it's a bit of a transition. You're not a supervisor but it's better than being an operator.
Appraisals are supposed to be done on your yearly anniversary, but my SSM told me I had to do one on all staff this week because HR asked him to... so I'm confused!

If you think you're too young to be a Duty CSM, perhaps talk to your CSM about being just a service supervisor (in other words, you support the Duty CSM). If you're lucky, you'll learn a lot from whoever is running the front end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)