• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (5 Viewers)

twelvemonths

HSC
Wow, I think I'm too young for supervision too... however, in terms of length of service, I'm something like second in line amongst the operators, which is one thing that works to my benefit (although my current CSM thinks I just joined the company... weird). Plus I think I'd just get a flat out no from my CSM :)

HSC
What are the criteria that CSMs usually look for to become a supervisor? I'd imagine something like this:

1. Been at the company for 1 year +
2. Over the age of 18
3. Good attitude and great customer service
Haha not in my store.

1 - We've had operators made supervisors after about 2 months
2 - Youngest supervisor I've seen was 15, funnily enough she's the best supervisor I've ever come across.
3 - Yeah, I think thats kind of a given.

I dunno, I was never really offered supervision, it kind of fell in my lap. CSM barely knew me, she only knew what I'd been trained to do under another CSM as I was only working in Nontrade at the time. Its taken me a long time to prove myself, and a year later, I don't think I'm that good.

twelvemonths

HSC
Aww... I've been with the company for a year and something like the second or third longest serving non-supervising operator in terms of length of service in years/months. I've received some service award thing many times and I think the only thing holding me back is my age :( Unfortunately (or fortunately...) by age 17 or so I won't be at Woolworths! Any way to get noticed by the managers for a supervisory role?

HSC
Aww... I've been with the company for a year and something like the second or third longest serving non-supervising operator in terms of length of service in years/months. I've received some service award thing many times and I think the only thing holding me back is my age :( Unfortunately (or fortunately...) by age 17 or so I won't be at Woolworths! Any way to get noticed by the managers for a supervisory role?
I honestly have no idea. I was in the same boat as you, I think out of the weekend pt/casual staff I was the second longest serving staff member, and was smokeshop operator before I started doing more training in systems (not that that has ever led to anything). In the end, I overheard a conversation between the CSM and another supervisor about her leaving, and basically put myself forth. I wasn't the first choice, the first choice wanted to remain mostly in Perishables with just one weekday front end shift. So yeah, the fact that I knew stuff is very handy.

For those following my week, this is what I'm hoping will happen to my bakery assistant who's supervisor trained :angel:. But I doubt it, his manager isn't happy letting him do front end shifts, let alone take up some responsibility there.

My CSM seems to be promoting newer staff who are older, well say 18+, because most of our longer serving operators are quite young (last year we hired so many 13/14 year olds, and to their credit quite a few are still here).

Off to Melbourne tomorrow night, so see you Safeway kids then :p

twelvemonths

HSC
oh. Is there a minimum smokeshop age in WA (babikakez's state :))? Looks to be an interesting segway into supervision (wow, I just used the word 'segway').

If anyone else has ideas on how to get noticed for a supervision role by managers that would be much appreciated.

HSC
You mean segue? haha

um there's no legal minimum age, its more at the whim of the csm/ssm. My store used to have a 16+ rule, I was the first person to break that. But this was after getting a new CSM, when the old CSM came back as SSM she upped it to 18, but this didn't last long.

Basically, work hard, but don't try too hard. We notice the tryhard operators and stick them on number 1. For instance, I will put a brand new operator on smokeshop over one particular girl.

twelvemonths

HSC
I know that it's spelt 'segue' but I prefer 'segway' because a segway is that funny motor thing that i've only seen about three people use. I know it's bad English but I don't care :)

HSC
haha thats allright. just teasing.

i'm bulkly bored while waiting for qantas check in to open. flying on the red eye tomorrow night. whoo for repeats of 7pm project :p

HSC
nope. edr has locked my account so i'm not even a qff member. got a nice letter in the mail about it but i cbf ringing customer care to get it fixed.

and online check in won't work, even though its well past 11.30. boo.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I have progressed on my smokeshop login dilemma!

We just got a new CSM right. So I was at the service desk with her before my shift. I explained how the previous 2IC/CSM stated there was a rule that <16 couldn't have login privileges on the 2 smokeshiop computers.

She's like, "what? rubbish, there's no rule". *runs to computer to fix it for me*. I stood near a smokeshop pc serving smokes under her login while she did it. She comes around, "hmm I cant see any blocks on your account, should be able to log in".

"USER NOT ALLOWED"

Another smokeshop operator: "How old are you?"
Me: 15
Another smokeshop operator: "Ah thats why, need to be 16"
CSM: ..15? :\ - (gives me a strange look as to why i want to serve cigarettes)

So that block must come "hard-coded" so to speak, nothing they can do to remove it. Oh well, almost 16 anyway.
Funny thing is, when I was on register later, I found I had supervision lmao. She must have added it accidentally supervision whilst trying to """"unblock"""" s/s computers, hahhaha.

Otacon2009

HSC
Isn't user priviliges determined by a single checkbox on one of the admin programs?

bensneddon

HSC
Isn't user priviliges determined by a single checkbox on one of the admin programs?
You need to log into StoreLine Office as Service Manager or Office Cashier and go to Operator/Supervisor Maintenance.

In the Operator's properties, go to the Link to Checkout Bank tab and add the Smokeshop bank to the operators banks (Other banks include Standard checkouts, express checkouts, smokeshop, liquor, bakery, self serve and homeshop)

Hope that makes sense...

lololomg

HSC
got a question about ordering the new shirts....
just before you pay you can enter the shipment address...it auto fills it with the store address...
just wondering if anyone has changed it to their home address so that it gets shipped there and did it arrive at their house??
or should i just leave it and pick it up form the store =/

ekul444

HSC
N/A
got a question about ordering the new shirts....
just before you pay you can enter the shipment address...it auto fills it with the store address...
just wondering if anyone has changed it to their home address so that it gets shipped there and did it arrive at their house??
or should i just leave it and pick it up form the store =/
it wont let you change it. you have no choice.

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
I have progressed on my smokeshop login dilemma!

We just got a new CSM right. So I was at the service desk with her before my shift. I explained how the previous 2IC/CSM stated there was a rule that <16 couldn't have login privileges on the 2 smokeshiop computers.

She's like, "what? rubbish, there's no rule". *runs to computer to fix it for me*. I stood near a smokeshop pc serving smokes under her login while she did it. She comes around, "hmm I cant see any blocks on your account, should be able to log in".

"USER NOT ALLOWED"

Another smokeshop operator: "How old are you?"
Me: 15
Another smokeshop operator: "Ah thats why, need to be 16"
CSM: ..15? :\ - (gives me a strange look as to why i want to serve cigarettes)

So that block must come "hard-coded" so to speak, nothing they can do to remove it. Oh well, almost 16 anyway.
Funny thing is, when I was on register later, I found I had supervision lmao. She must have added it accidentally supervision whilst trying to """"unblock"""" s/s computers, hahhaha.
No,There is no hard block. I am 15 and my Number works on Smokeshop. I have only worked in there once,but I have logged in many times to collect tills at the end of the night and to grab extra change for people.

Craven

HSC
Even so, it's unlikely your office cashier is anal enough to put your birth date etc into Storeline as none of that information is shared between People Planner/Back Office/Storeline.... ours aren't anal enough to even bother USING checkout banks, lol.

From my experience, being iniative and taking an interest are good ways to progress to supervisor. I would watch how they did refunds etc so I had pretty much learned my way through the SVR menu long before I even got privileges, lol. It got to the point where I'd be in smokeshop and it'd be the 5th refund of the day that I'd have to call my CSM over to put through because I couldn't when she's like "I was supposed to give you privileges before!".... haha. But just asking questions and using some iniative shows you're capable of running the front end. I only ever got an actual service shift because they were desperate and had no one one night so it was me, and you get thrown in the deep end but if you survive, you'll definitely get more.

BSammy

HSC
Pretty much that. I got my super privileges when one super was working and went to break, or lunch.
He told me I was in charge while he was away and it turned out he gave me the privileges.

Told my CSM the next day, half expecting him to take them off me, but he got someone to show me around the super menu, so I'd know what I was doing.

I did my back in at one point, and was on light duties, so had to stay in the smokeshop. Often when it got busy I was on smokeshop and super, while my CSM was on register.
I was sort of forced to become a decent supervisor at that point, as I was full time, and pretty much spent the whole time supervising.
Kept it up with checking storenet for things I wasn't sure of, etc, and became our 3ic by being the most competent person there, often being better than CSM or 2ic, but without the stress. :p
Didn't need to do it by assertion, I don't feel threatened or annoyed when other supervisors take charge over me, unless I'm in a shit mood to begin with.
They usually come asking me how to do something relatively simple anyway, stuff isn't something most are trained to do.

Also finally finished my Certificate II in retail operations the other day, so now I have a pretty good chance of being promoted to 2ic somewhere, but I'm not sure if I really want that, as now I spend half my time in cash office, and I don't want to lose that.

It was out CSM's 30th anniversary with woolies today. Came in to work to attend, and for the free food. To work that long at I'd have to keep working there for as long as I have already lived in addition to my already 4 years.
Told him that and he felt old. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)