The Woolworths Thread (4 Viewers)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
The other day I didn't have any cash and lots of people were asking for cash out. So what I was doing was telling them: sorry, I dont have any, but after they have paid for their groceries they can go over to self serve and do a cash withdrawal there. Then like after the 4th person the supervisor comes over and asks me if Im sending people to self serve to get cash out - tells me not to do that, and that I have to save the transaction and get the supervisor to take them to smokeshop and do it. Why!?
Strange, we are allowed to send people to the SCO's for self serve (with or without a saved trans.)

Craven

HSC
Either because they would have to line up and wait again (a no-no!) or because they want people to take cash out from manned registers first rather than from SCOs because it means less work, in the grand scheme of things for the office cashier. I'd say the first since Service rarely gives a shit about cash office concerns, lol.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Back on my Checkout days someone actually asked me for $1000 cash out. Uhmmm hello this is a Supermarket not a bank.

Craven

HSC
One time a lady was closing her Ezy Banking account and withdrew $5000 cash. We took her out the back to give her the cash so no one would see her taking that much money!

SS-champion

HSC
Don't some people have bank accounts where they are charged if they go over a certain number of transactions for the month?

Or is that only at ATMs and not supermarets?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Don't some people have bank accounts where they are charged if they go over a certain number of transactions for the month?

Or is that only at ATMs and not supermarets?
Yeah some banks do that, some charge each transaction. Almost every bank has an "eftpos special" account though, like unlimited transactions for example.

HSC
We have people in our store who have sup. privileges JUST to spot tills, they are by no means supervisors themselves (prob two casuals, though one does spend a lot of time in smokeshop so we've been teaching her refunds as well). Its only because we have so much to do in such a limited time at close though.

Either because they would have to line up and wait again (a no-no!) or because they want people to take cash out from manned registers first rather than from SCOs because it means less work, in the grand scheme of things for the office cashier. I'd say the first since Service rarely gives a shit about cash office concerns, lol.
I agree. My CSM had a go at me yesterday because 40 minutes before close I was trying to get rid of my 10c coins (ie, not giving anyone 20c coins) - when I counted the till later on there were still 60+ loose 10c coins.

I wish all operators realised how annoying it is when they open their change just to make their drawer 'neater'.

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
We have people in our store who have sup. privileges JUST to spot tills, they are by no means supervisors themselves (prob two casuals, though one does spend a lot of time in smokeshop so we've been teaching her refunds as well). Its only because we have so much to do in such a limited time at close though.

I agree. My CSM had a go at me yesterday because 40 minutes before close I was trying to get rid of my 10c coins (ie, not giving anyone 20c coins) - when I counted the till later on there were still 60+ loose 10c coins.

I wish all operators realised how annoying it is when they open their change just to make their drawer 'neater'.
I did that when I first started the job, I opened them when it probably wasn't an essential, then realised.. fuck the supervisor is going to have to count all these :x - Thankfully I used just about all of them on the day I did that.
From that point on, I put spare change under the float so it actually opens/closes properly instead of crunching against the roof of it lol

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Haha I never do that.
I mean, it's a waste of time, and tbh I don't give a damn what my drawer looks like as long as I can pull out the change I need to pull out, lol.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
We're not allowed to open change rolls unless the coin trays run out.

Even if there's 1 50c piece in there we have to wait until we use that 50c before we open up a roll.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
We're not allowed to open change rolls unless the coin trays run out.

Even if there's 1 50c piece in there we have to wait until we use that 50c before we open up a roll.
That's quite ridiculous. If you are standing there because it is a weird 5 minute dead zone in your store, and you have for example:

2 $1 coins
3 $2 coins
1 50c coin

You're obviously going to use those almost immediately, so why make you hold everyone up and open a new change bag when you're going to use it asap. Some stores have stupid rules....

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
re: spot checks, the best way to remember them is just NO, NO, YES at the end of them, thats what we all use anyway.

re: monday mornings, this is odd, at our store the SSA on the sunday night purposely adds EXTRA change into the drawers just so the SSO doesnt have to do a monday morning change run, she just clears out the excess $50's. But then the total of all our drawers is normally only 6k-8k (for 10 registers, 2 of which only get used this week and the week before christmas, and 2 others that rarely get used), and authorised holdings are 15K (which the safe gets taken too on sunday nights)

we were suprisingly quiet today, does not bode well for the next 3 days.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
That's quite ridiculous. If you are standing there because it is a weird 5 minute dead zone in your store, and you have for example:

2 $1 coins
3 $2 coins
1 50c coin

You're obviously going to use those almost immediately, so why make you hold everyone up and open a new change bag when you're going to use it asap. Some stores have stupid rules....
it may be stupid, but lordtopcat is actually following official policy.

Craven

HSC
There's no way I would have made our authorised holding (95k) without stripping as much excess as I could. They have way too much money in those tills normally... 1500-2000$ worth after clearing excess 50s... most of the tills were sitting at $600 last night after I had my way with them lol. But normally on a Monday morning our floats are around 45k (we have 5 SCOs and they have around 5k in each).

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC

2 $1 coins
3 $2 coins
1 50c coin

You're obviously going to use those almost immediately, so why make you hold everyone up and open a new change bag when you're going to use it asap.
Our CSM is quite strict about following proper procedures, for example where some stores break the rule of having only 1 person spot check a till, she always has one spot check and one watching them. Always launches an investigation if the till is short/over $20 or more. She is not only protecting the company, she is protecting herself as the person who is ultimately in charge of the Checkouts. I don't blame her either, if I were in her shoes I would do exactly the same.

Last edited:

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Fuck you guys can talk in the space of 24 hrs. I had to read like 6 pages.

YES, YES, YES!!! I actually have a second login purely for logging in when i'm still signed on somewhere else and cant be bothered to go sign off because it is so freaking annoying.
V. good idea:monkey:

Wow, odd. imagine doing a close with your mum :s
From a purely Tasmanian perspective, this sounds vaguely sexual.

One time a Mars bar came down into the shuttle box....
HAHAHA that's funny as. I tried to rep you but I'd already repped you for being gay so it wouldn't let me.

OK so first day of 2ICing and new store was pretty grand (they gave me #20 on WoWPos btw)
But, MANY questions i hope i can be assisted with:
1. I now have Service Manager and Dpt Mgr priviledges in Office, but I can't seem to find the additional functions!? E.g. viewing sales and scanning rates, can anyone give me instructions on how to view these on Office?
2. The CSM taught herself how to do Bulk Gift Card (she was made SV Mgr without ANY training, she was just taught how to use the register!!!) and when a recipient of one of the cards tried to use theirs (they were Xmas presents from a nursery mgr) it said it had $0 on it and the SSM looked it up on StoreNet and it said that a 48 hr delay had been applied to their activation. Is this normal?
3. Both the CSM and the Head Cashier (the former CSM) tried to set up Citrix accounts for Mobile and Everyday ID checks, but whoever they spoke to WOULDN'T LET THEM!? So the entire store only has ONE account for it and we're not allowed to use it! So the current system is writing down all the necessary info on a piece of paper and we have to enter it all en masse when we get some accounts. Why would this be!?! I find this ridiculous and highly non-compliant. I'm thinking about talking to CSM tomoz about calling up SSS to sort it out.

Also Reg 2 is out of action until Wednesday, which is a big problem at store with only 7 registers. And I'm doing Xmas eve close, i have like five staff including another svisor, yay! (non-sarcasm, its amazing for this store).

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
But, MANY questions i hope i can be assisted with:
1. I now have Service Manager and Dpt Mgr priviledges in Office, but I can't seem to find the additional functions!? E.g. viewing sales and scanning rates, can anyone give me instructions on how to view these on Office?
Yeah. I was browsing Office on Saturday night, it was logged in under both "Department Manager" AND "Service Supervisor. There was nothing too interesting in Dept. Manager at all. I could view sales via Supervisor though, thats about it.

Earlier that night, it was logged in as "Office Cashier", and it had heaps of options like "send message to registers", "scan reports" and such. I would have thought as the restriction levels were lowered (dept. manager), it would allow more and more as opposed to 1 set access for each account type.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)