The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
KaaN10 said:
But I don't have a TFN how do they know?
Woolies know how much tax has been deducted from your pay and at the end of the financial year when you get your Group Certificate that states this amount, it's your task then to fill in the form/do your tax online - thus, it'll be your TFN applied to a certain amount tax.

Don't worry too much about how or why - just know that it doesn't matter, and it'll all work out as long as you do get that TFN eventually.

HSC
Oh - and the question I originally came here to ask...

I want to take time off for the HSC, so I got one of those Leave Applications. At the top it asks you to tick what kind of leave it is. Is this considered study leave or annual leave? If I choose study leave, can I still get paid for the duration of my leave? (I'm part-time)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
makemearedcape said:
Oh - and the question I originally came here to ask...

I want to take time off for the HSC, so I got one of those Leave Applications. At the top it asks you to tick what kind of leave it is. Is this considered study leave or annual leave? If I choose study leave, can I still get paid for the duration of my leave? (I'm part-time)
study leave is unpaid leave, which you are entitled to under the award agreement, but as the name suggests, is unpaid

annual leave is paid leave, max of 4 weeks.

i'd suggest you take annual leave (if you have some accumulated) or a mixture of both (like first 2 weeks study, next 2 weeks annual something like that)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
KaaN10 said:
Is it true that if I earn under $15,000 a year I don't get taxed?
not strictly speaking, no, but in effect, yes.

Here's how it works, every week, a certain amount is taken out of your pay to pay taxes. If you have provided a TFN, paying tax kicks in at about $180 p.w.

Every june 30th, you MUST file a tax return for the previous year. the tax office works out how much you've earned in the year, and how much tax you should have paid.

If your employer has taken out more tax than you need to pay, u get a refund, if they've taken out less (impossible unless your employer is dodgy, OR you have other sources of income e.g. rent, shares, etc.) you have to pay the tax office.

For total year earnings, tax is paid on every dollar earnt over $6,001 dollars (starting at 15c in the dollar), HOWEVER for low income earners there is a tax offset (i.e. that tax you should have paid is made less) making the EFFECTIVE amount over which you pay tax as $15,000.

efhat

HSC
woot i am hopefully getting a new job 2moro so i can say fuken goodbye to woolies after two looong boring years.....! so sick of this place its not funny

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
KaaN10 said:
Hi. Really helpful but I still don't understand fully. I don't have a TFN yet but it should arrive soon. I'm 15 and work casual, do I get taxed or not and do I still file a claim since I don't get as much as older people and stuff.
everybody pays tax if they earn enough money per week, regardless of age or employment status.

if you have tax taken out of your pay you need to file a tax return, but you dont need to worry about this untill July 1st, 2009

Black Heart

HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

Hello,

After handing in my application form in 2 weeks ago, I got a phone call 2 days ago, seeing if I was still open to work there etc. She went on to say that there will be an induction on Monday, and upon reading your little thread, it looked like the induction comes after the interviews etc, so why do I get the induction first? My friend has gone through this where she went through the Induction and then the interveiws etc.

What should I actually expect from the 1 hour induction? I know it basically says that there are videos etc, but I don't want to mess up (if it's even possible to mess up), so could someone please tell me exactly what the induction is?

(I could ask my friend this stuff, but seeing as we are on school holidays and I don't have her phone number and she is never on MSN.)

And this will be my first possible job, so I don't want to mess up and stuff.

EDIT: It would be great if someone gave me some highly likely interview questions as, knowing me, I will be stumped if I make it to the interview, so a little practice now won't hurt.

Last edited:

yobob

HSC
KaaN10 said:
Hi. Really helpful but I still don't understand fully. I don't have a TFN yet but it should arrive soon. I'm 15 and work casual, do I get taxed or not and do I still file a claim since I don't get as much as older people and stuff.
Basically tax is taken out of everybody's wages as a "provision"

ytrbut

HSC
Epicness happening at our store.

Last week our Regional Manager waltzed down from Head Office for a nice two hour chat cos we had a shit safety rating. OK, that's cool enough, a broken leg is sorta bad.

But this two hour safety "meeting" with the Regional Manager, SM, SSM, STM, DM's and 2IC's, during a mid-morning on a trading day, only achieved in creating a "Safety Hero" box where we nominate safe people, and an emphasis on retraining staff.

Seriously...bloody joke if you ask me.

greekgun

HSC
ytrbut said:
Epicness happening at our store.

Last week our Regional Manager waltzed down from Head Office for a nice two hour chat cos we had a shit safety rating. OK, that's cool enough, a broken leg is sorta bad.

But this two hour safety "meeting" with the Regional Manager, SM, SSM, STM, DM's and 2IC's, during a mid-morning on a trading day, only achieved in creating a "Safety Hero" box where we nominate safe people, and an emphasis on retraining staff.

Seriously...bloody joke if you ask me.
That doesnt sound too bad. Getting paid to sit around and listen to some guy talk about shit all. Sure as hell beats working.

btw, what do the SM, SSM, STM, DM and 2IC's stand for?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Store Manager
Store Service Manager (?)
Store Trading Manager (?)
Department Manager
2nd In Charge

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Sounds complicated in Aus o_O We only have

Area Managers
Store Managers
Admin Managers
Dept. Managers
Assis. Dept. Managers (2ICs)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
mkay, well i talked to 2IC about the whole staff not doing their job with chicken open. They tried to explain it to her (you have to check if the stock is off before putting it in the window) ..and she didn't understand. hmm. maybe coz she's old.. but seriously; it's common sense.

Roga

HSC
How do you become 2IC and/or dep manager? Apart from the obvious such as experience, are there any other needed qualifications?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
babikakez said:
What's the difference between Store Services Manager and Store Trading Manager?
Just wondering.
The easiest way to look at it is this, the Store Trading Manager is resposible for the following departments: Liquor, Deli, Produce, Perishables, Longlife, Variety, General Merch, Bakery etc. In bigger stores there are two STM, one for like fresh stuff and perishables and one for long life.

The Store Services Manager is reponsible these departments: Service, Nontrade (which includes systems, cash office, backdock)

so STM's are like assistant store managers, SSM are like all about the administrative stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)