• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Thoughts on iPads for school? (2 Viewers)

wollongong warrior

HSC
lol thats what i do and i have a long commute.

wdym tho, the book i carry is wayyyy lighter than an ipad
fair lol
that was the first thing that came up to mind when I wrote that but it isn't really true
In hindsight, better reasons are: convenience, unis upload everything online and courses change twice a year (or thrice for unsw) so you wouldn't really want a book for each one

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
I mean I had no real choice since I couldn't do the hast or edutest last year.... I'm not in any way shape or form rich, so like... There are lots of reasons why someone would attend a private school- not solely because they were rich as there are many ways to push those fees out--> such as scholarships. AND if ur an old boy/girl, you get a pretty huge discount asw
that’s why i said if you go to one without a scholarship. i’m saying if you’re able to pay the fees of a private school (which are objectively quite expensive) without any reduction, then you’re rich. what do you mean by “old boy/girl”?

arcadian

HSC
that’s why i said if you go to one without a scholarship. i’m saying if you’re able to pay the fees of a private school (which are objectively quite expensive) without any reduction, then you’re rich. what do you mean by “old boy/girl”?
old boy/girl is lingo for alumni of a particular school e.g. scomo is a sydney boys old boy

youraverageangel

HSC
N/A
theres many people vouching for ipads n stuff, but what do we think about andriod tablets?
Also, ipad users, do yall have laptops too? How tf are you saving your eyes? (no genuinely bc my parents asked me this same question - like permanently switching to devices is gonna screw your eyes over as they said)

katiekms

HSC
old boy/girl is lingo for alumni of a particular school e.g. scomo is a sydney boys old boy
ohhh okay thank you! - so i don’t get the use in this situation, how would you be an old boy/girl to a school you’re currently going to? and if they mean something else, why would that mean you get a discount like what is the reasoning behind it. i’m confused

arcadian

HSC
ohhh okay thank you! - so i don’t get the use in this situation, how would you be an old boy/girl to a school you’re currently going to? and if they mean something else, why would that mean you get a discount like what is the reasoning behind it. i’m confused
If you have a parent who went to the school for their education, usually their children will receive discounts because the parent is an old girl/boy e.g. say theoretically sydney boys is private and scomo theoretically had a son, scomo would receive an old boy's discount if he enrolls his son there

katiekms

HSC
theres many people vouching for ipads n stuff, but what do we think about andriod tablets?
Also, ipad users, do yall have laptops too? How tf are you saving your eyes? (no genuinely bc my parents asked me this same question - like permanently switching to devices is gonna screw your eyes over as they said)
i’ve had devices since i was four, my eyes are fine! 😍 (my eyes are not fine and i now have amblyopia). i think you’ll be all good if you take an eye break like every 20 mins to just look at physical things both far away and close to you to keep them strong or something. that’s what i heard.

katiekms

HSC
If you have a parent who went to the school for their education, usually their children will receive discounts because the parent is an old girl/boy e.g. say theoretically sydney boys is private and scomo theoretically had a son, scomo would receive an old boy's discount if he enrolls his son there
ohhhhhh that makes sense thanks. that’s dumb imo, but good for them lol

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
If your family had gone to that school before you. You may be eligible for discounted school fees

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
highkey didn't look it up & js assumed it was $$
okay sure, maybe not the school fees. but the ipad pro 13". not even 11" or air. your degree doesn't even need anything that only the pro model would offer. idk, doesn't seem very middle class-y.
Yeah, fair enough, it is a little overkill for what my degree I suppose.

I just work hard and decided to reward myself.

youraverageangel

HSC
N/A
i’ve had devices since i was four, my eyes are fine! 😍 (my eyes are not fine and i now have amblyopia). i think you’ll be all good if you take an eye break like every 20 mins to just look at physical things both far away and close to you to keep them strong or something. that’s what i heard.
if u don't mind me asking, was the amblyopia caused by your devices?

iloveeggs

HSC
Hello,

I was wondering if iPads are a good option for school use? I was thinking about buying an iPad 10th gen and apple pencil (with my scholarship money hehe) to use for studying, notes, revision, etc. i think it would especially be useful for me for maths where it is so annoying wasting so much paper rewriting working out/diagrams/etc when it would be so much easier on an iPad. i honestly think it would motivate me to study more, like having it all in one place. there are a few people in my year as well as my maths teacher, who uses an iPad and it looks so much easier to do stuff imo.

does anyone have any experience with using an iPad for school, and what is your opinion on it + how did it affect your study? Thanks :oldsmile:
guys i have this exact question but about touchscreen laptops with a stylus - i dont have an apple anything and ipads are out of my family's budget rn so i dont feel like ipads are the right choice for me but i love the idea of using a stylus??? any suggestions

katiekms

HSC
if u don't mind me asking, was the amblyopia caused by your devices?
i don’t really actually know (i’ve never been to a proper optometrist, we just had an optometrist come to our school so i did that) but he said my eye was abnormal from birth, it just wasn't corrected and was allowed to worsen over time. i’m sure having a device from such a young age certainly didn’t help my case lol

katiekms

HSC
guys i have this exact question but about touchscreen laptops with a stylus - i dont have an apple anything and ipads are out of my family's budget rn so i dont feel like ipads are the right choice for me but i love the idea of using a stylus??? any suggestions
i don’t have any suggestions bc i’ve only used a hp one, but we used them in maths for the school laptops and it was pretty good!! it was a bit tricky at some points but i’m sure it would be just as good as an ipad + apple pencil!

iloveeggs

HSC
i don’t have any suggestions bc i’ve only used a hp one, but we used them in maths for the school laptops and it was pretty good!! it was a bit tricky at some points but i’m sure it would be just as good as an ipad + apple pencil!
thanks!

wollongong warrior

HSC
I use a s8 ultra for uni since I got it for like ~900 off and it's pretty good; it does everything I need it to do
Just get whichever one you can get cheaper and it'll do alright
Also, ipad users, do yall have laptops too?
Laptops are situational in stem; if you do a lot of coding, carrying one around can be very useful since you can work while on transit or what not
How tf are you saving your eyes?
Study hard now, get a good paying job when you graduate and then get lasik, problem solved

shoulfer

HSC
Hello,

I was wondering if iPads are a good option for school use? I was thinking about buying an iPad 10th gen and apple pencil (with my scholarship money hehe) to use for studying, notes, revision, etc. i think it would especially be useful for me for maths where it is so annoying wasting so much paper rewriting working out/diagrams/etc when it would be so much easier on an iPad. i honestly think it would motivate me to study more, like having it all in one place. there are a few people in my year as well as my maths teacher, who uses an iPad and it looks so much easier to do stuff imo.

does anyone have any experience with using an iPad for school, and what is your opinion on it + how did it affect your study? Thanks :oldsmile:
just get an iPad pro???

HSC
Hello,

??? wdym waste of paper, you do standard math what typa diagrams are you doing? you could use connect the dots worksheets and achieve the same results. If you need extra resources i can provide them to you, i'll attach a high band 6 question for Standard Maths below1719272358540.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)