• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Titration Comp (1 Viewer)

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
oh ! me and my friends are thinking of entering, except i haven't even started learning about titrations yet. i didn't even know there was a titration competition until just a few days ago, so i have no idea how it works. my questions are [and i might have more later]:

does anyone know where i can get the past questions?
isnt there another round? and that's calculations? how about past questions for those? or just any typical questions they might give you?
what do i need to know beforehand?
do i need to bring anything? can i if i wanted to? is there a list of what they give you?
do the supervisors walk around and watch you? if so, what will they be looking out for? will they deduct any marks or anything? and what for?
any good sources i can use to learn more about titrations? eg, er..somebody scan stuff from their textbook and post it up? eg, some site devoted only to titrations?
which schools should i be looking out for? [i heard the teacher from fort st is really obsessed with winning this yr, cos they got 2, 3, 4, 5 but not first. or something. that's what someone told me]
any other tips, hints?

any help is appreciated. :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
OMG dun tell me u r from fort too =)

yeh mr butt is goin on all abt on how to kick shore's ass in their own game...
equation for good titration scores:

knowledge + practice + good team mate + luck = first place...

edit:
i heard they mark by :
a) subtract ur result with actual result
b) multiply the difference by 10000
c) sq it...

and that's ur score...
clearly, the lower the better...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
xiao1985 said:
i heard they mark by :
a) subtract ur result with actual result
b) multiply the difference by 10000
c) sq it...

and that's ur score...
clearly, the lower the better...
Yep, that's how you get the score.

The score grows quadratically so minimise errors at all costs.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
table for 1 said:
oh ! me and my friends are thinking of entering, except i haven't even started learning about titrations yet. i didn't even know there was a titration competition until just a few days ago, so i have no idea how it works. my questions are [and i might have more later]:

does anyone know where i can get the past questions?
isnt there another round? and that's calculations? how about past questions for those? or just any typical questions they might give you?
what do i need to know beforehand?
do i need to bring anything? can i if i wanted to? is there a list of what they give you?
do the supervisors walk around and watch you? if so, what will they be looking out for? will they deduct any marks or anything? and what for?
any good sources i can use to learn more about titrations? eg, er..somebody scan stuff from their textbook and post it up? eg, some site devoted only to titrations?
which schools should i be looking out for? [i heard the teacher from fort st is really obsessed with winning this yr, cos they got 2, 3, 4, 5 but not first. or something. that's what someone told me]
any other tips, hints?

any help is appreciated. :)
Yea - I want answers! :D

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
OMG dun tell me u r from fort too =)
no no... i wish i went to a selective school. and since i don't, i'm like, probably no competition, but i still want to do the best i can. someone else told me that he's really obsessed with winning this yr.

anyways, another question: i read somewhere that ideally, you should read from half way between the bottom and the top of the meniscus. but everyone always says to read from the bottom, so which one is it?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
table for 1 said:
anyways, another question: i read somewhere that ideally, you should read from half way between the bottom and the top of the meniscus. but everyone always says to read from the bottom, so which one is it?
Read from bottom.

As for past questions, there are no such thing. The only thing is to do lots of practice.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I've got no chance - but hey, winning isn't everythig... right?

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
Read from bottom.

As for past questions, there are no such thing. The only thing is to do lots of practice.
ok thanks.

so nobody remembers the kind of questions they got? all they ask you to do is to tirate something and find the molarity? then is there a final round? is that another titration [but harder], or does that only involve calculations? i have no idea. geez... i have a lot of preparing to do

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
It's alot harder than you think, and it is easy to run out of time.

remember to record plenty of decimal places.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
table for 1 said:
so nobody remembers the kind of questions they got? all they ask you to do is to tirate something and find the molarity? then is there a final round? is that another titration [but harder], or does that only involve calculations? i have no idea. geez... i have a lot of preparing to do
There are no questions. You're given the solutions and you titrate to find the molarity. Top one or two from each venue then proceed to the national level or something like that, you only have one comp on the day.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
It's alot harder than you think, and it is easy to run out of time.
oh yeah, i forgot to ask how much time they give you......

Templar said:
There are no questions. You're given the solutions and you titrate to find the molarity. Top one or two from each venue then proceed to the national level or something like that, you only have one comp on the day.
only top 1 or 2? how many venues are there? but what if like 3 ppl from one venue all get better than the top person in another venue, wouldn't that be a bit slack to cut that 3rd person out?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
table for 1 said:
only top 1 or 2? how many venues are there? but what if like 3 ppl from one venue all get better than the top person in another venue, wouldn't that be a bit slack to cut that 3rd person out?

then it would be unfair to other schools

don't remeber the time, it was only a few hours

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
but it's unfair to the students who have actually gotten a better score. it's like they're being nicer to the 'dumber' [for lack of better word] schools, and slack to the students with the skills/knowledge/etc

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
table for 1 said:
no no... i wish i went to a selective school. and since i don't, i'm like, probably no competition, but i still want to do the best i can. someone else told me that he's really obsessed with winning this yr.

The old fella in fort st is one of my phys teacher's best friends, he is really^n obsessed in winning this year-his students are trained for titration since junior years :p

by the way, has any1 heard of some digital stuff which can measure the concentration of solution directly?hehe, that'll be v. cool if it exists

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
table for 1 said:
but it's unfair to the students who have actually gotten a better score. it's like they're being nicer to the 'dumber' [for lack of better word] schools, and slack to the students with the skills/knowledge/etc
No, because the best team will win in the end

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
No, because the best team will win in the end
i guess, but still.... those smarter students would have missed out on their only chance to compete in the nationals

Sirius Black said:
The old fella in fort st is one of my phys teacher's best friends, he is really^n obsessed in winning this year-his students are trained for titration since junior years
trained since junior years?? the competition and experience...my group has no hope.

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
table for 1 said:
i guess, but still.... those smarter students would have missed out on their only chance to compete in the nationals

trained since junior years?? the competition and experience...my group has no hope.
there is always hope :p remember luck is sometimes more important than anything else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)