• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Titration Comp (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You get 90 min. This is for everything ie titration, calculations etc. You're looking at about 8 titrations all up per person so time is pretty tight.

And yes, velox, our school got owned, but more as a result of being unlucky than lack of skills. But I don't recall anyone running out of time...

As for those thinking of sneaking in a pH meter, forget it. Titration is so much more accurate than any pH meter you'll come across (and manual titration by professionals is the most accurate way to determine molarity).

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
You get 90 min. This is for everything ie titration, calculations etc. You're looking at about 8 titrations all up per person so time is pretty tight.

And yes, velox, our school got owned, but more as a result of being unlucky than lack of skills. But I don't recall anyone running out of time...
what? only 90mins? for some reason, i thought it was 3 hrs....don't ask me why, i just seemed to think that.

and what do you mean "8 titrations all up per person " ?? are you saying we do it individually? don't you only need to tritrate 3 times?

and why does everyone keep saying its to do with luck??

sorry, i think i'm being annoying now

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
table for 1 said:
what? only 90mins? for some reason, i thought it was 3 hrs....don't ask me why, i just seemed to think that.

and what do you mean "8 titrations all up per person " ?? are you saying we do it individually? don't you only need to tritrate 3 times?

and why does everyone keep saying its to do with luck??

sorry, i think i'm being annoying now
you need to titrate lots of times to get the required accuracy (4 d.p i think)

if you win titrating 3 times you are lucky.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
so you have to titrate a total of 24 times?? isn't that too much for only 90 mins. meh.. i haven't done a titration so i don't know.

question: do they tell you which indicator to use, or so you have to choose? if you have to choose, can you bring in a table of the change in colour to pH values?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
you need to titrate lots of times to get the required accuracy (4 d.p i think)

if you win titrating 3 times you are lucky.
So basically, repeating the titration as many times as possible is merely to improve the accuracy of your results?...i.e. it's not necessarily required?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@ sirius black: roy butt his name is =) but he's a kick ass teacher!!! =)

90 min for 4 titrations are tight...

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
haha, not good if he's kicking himself :p

i'm going for the titration comp this year too. if i can manage to clear my weekend schedules for training, i'll keep it.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
xiao1985 said:
That man has great energy. Very enthusiastic.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You are given a known solution of HCl, a stock of NaOH and the unknown solutions of acetic acid, A, B and C, each with different molarity.

There are 3 people in a team. You all use the communal HCl and NaOH. There are a finite amount of each so it is important not to waste any (450mL for HCl and 1L of NaOH I think). You standardise the NaOH solution with the HCl. You must do this titration and obtain at least two useable (ie not rough) results per person or you will be penalised or disqualified.

Then you titrate your solution of acetic acid with NaOH. You must also obtain at least two useable results per person for this titration. On the sheet you have space for four results per titration, it is advised you do so, if you have enough time, to maximise your accuracy.

Each of the team member does his/her own titration. Therefore a team may do up to 24 titrations in total, 8 per person.

You are supplied with phenolphthalein. You may not bring any indicators of your own.

Hope that helps

Xiao: Not sure if it's the training, but 4 titrations in 90min seem pretty relaxed.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Templar said:
You are given a known solution of HCl, a stock of NaOH and the unknown solutions of acetic acid, A, B and C, each with different molarity.

There are 3 people in a team. You all use the communal HCl and NaOH. There are a finite amount of each so it is important not to waste any (450mL for HCl and 1L of NaOH I think). You standardise the NaOH solution with the HCl. You must do this titration and obtain at least two useable (ie not rough) results per person or you will be penalised or disqualified.

Then you titrate your solution of acetic acid with NaOH. You must also obtain at least two useable results per person for this titration. On the sheet you have space for four results per titration, it is advised you do so, if you have enough time, to maximise your accuracy.

Each of the team member does his/her own titration. Therefore a team may do up to 24 titrations in total, 8 per person.

You are supplied with phenolphthalein. You may not bring any indicators of your own.

Hope that helps

Xiao: Not sure if it's the training, but 4 titrations in 90min seem pretty relaxed.

You did crap all training :p But still more than us, we ended up confusing the substances and not titrating one and then screwing up the calculations.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
anyone doing the comp at macq uni??
and which school you from?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
xiao1985 said:

90 min for 4 titrations are tight...
mr butt!!! lol
i have ms eastment though... mr butt's class is way ahead of us.

oh my god... i had a dream about titration. we needed fire in the burette for some reason and i had none. i didn't even have a retort stand :confused:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
mr butt!!! lol
i have ms eastment though... mr butt's class is way ahead of us.
I'm willing to bet that you guys are still ahead of Ms Jamble.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Templar said:

Hope that helps

yeah, acetic acid is a bitch cause the equilibrium point isn't very clear

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
@Templar

Templar said:

Hope that helps
are we allowed to talk to team members during the titration? and Does everyone have a supervisor/examiner around to watch you doing the titration?
if you break any equipment after the titration is done, will u be penalised?
thanx

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Sirius Black said:
are we allowed to talk to team members during the titration? and Does everyone have a supervisor/examiner around to watch you doing the titration?
if you break any equipment after the titration is done, will u be penalised?
thanx
Yes you are permitted to communicate with your fellow team members, so only one rough titration has to be done for the NaOH solution, and you can check if your NaOH result is a bit off. There are supervisors but I think they only care about proper lab procedures (we were told not to suck on pipettes and use the bulb, and they were enforced). You can't really 'cheat' that much.

As for equipment breakage after titration...don't know, but it's very hard to break equipment after a titration since you won't be using it.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
KFunk said:
I'm willing to bet that you guys are still ahead of Ms Jamble.
lolz omg such an insult...

but then again, a very justified one... =p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)