• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Titration Comp (1 Viewer)

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I think there are cash prizes for the National Finals though...only a medal for the Regionals.
we need confirmation. who has been to the finals and can confirm whether or not there are cash prizes?

NoOb_ceNtRAL

HSC
i know this mught sound sad
but iz every1 really competitive and stuck up??
or r they nice n actualli smile

cos im thinkin of some intense surgery room wif high school ppl doin titrations
OH N R THERE ANY COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH IT????

sigh...i got no chance so ill go down a happy noob!

NOOB PRIDE!!!

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
NoOb_ceNtRAL said:

OH N R THERE ANY COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH IT????

sigh...i got no chance so ill go down a happy noob!

NOOB PRIDE!!!
$21 in total for one group (3 ppl) so each one costs $7 only

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
NoOb_ceNtRAL said:

People won't be stuck up, but they won't necessarily communicate with you either....time is precious in the comp and nobody will bother to talk to you.

Plus titration comp can't really be done for fun...those who go want to do it to win.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
it's coming up soon. i'm panicked, because my group hasn't really been practising.

that's it, there's no hope anymore

i can't be bothered going anymore, except i paid already, so yeah

who thinks they're ready ?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Don't panic :) (Corny may I sound) it's not the outcome that matters! You must go and "have fun" because it's a very good experience..

Besides, you've already paid for it, at least you must go and waste some of the chemicals you've paid for and watch pretty colour changes ;)

I'm pretty sure that you don't need to practise unless you can't do the following:

- read the graduation on buretts/pipettes
- fill pipettes/burettes properly
- write and balance simple chemical equations
- gyrate your hand to the point where it's about to fall off

well, it's a good idea to do *some* practise titration questions that have lots and lots of calculations involved, because the most daunting thing, as you will find (if you go), is NOT the actual titration but the calculations. (Unless you're going in for fame and glory :p then you will need lots of practise on the actual thing as well - i.e. ignore your friends and disappear to the lab during lunchtimes. Well.. and a tiny bit of luck but I'm not going to elaborate on that..)

Just go!

Last edited:

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
Is the comp state wide or is it just for the region? I know there's one coming up in Newcastle in a couple of weeks but I'm not sure if you go further if you win that.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
mitochondria said:
Don't panic :) (Corny may I sound) it's not the outcome that matters! You must go and "have fun" because it's a very good experience..

Besides, you've already paid for it, at least you must go and waste some of the chemicals you've paid for and watch pretty colour changes ;)

I'm pretty sure that you don't need to practise unless you can't do the following:

well, it's a good idea to do *some* practise titration questions that have lots and lots of calculations involved, because the most daunting thing, as you will find (if you go), is NOT the actual titration but the calculations. (Unless you're going in for fame and glory :p then you will need lots of practise on the actual thing as well - i.e. ignore your friends and disappear to the lab during lunchtimes. Well.. and a tiny bit of luck but I'm not going to elaborate on that..)

Just go!
eck.. guess what...

.... my school is going to another school to do the titrations competition !!!

that's crap. ruins the point of it. i wanted to go to a uni to do it !!

so much for fun experience. oh well. =] i still intend to try my best

i so think that my group is going to break our glassware. we are so going to get confused on the day and titrate the solutions the wrong way around. we are so going to contaminate our solutions.
i can so see us doing something wrong.
i just hope some other groups do worse.

but anyways, a bit early, but i'll just say good luck to everyone participating !

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
mitochondria said:

Just go!
You remember professor Hibbert's statistics!! You can't possibly say who has won without confidence intervals ~ the whole thing is a lottery of the capable! :p

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
thunderdax said:
Is the comp state wide or is it just for the region? I know there's one coming up in Newcastle in a couple of weeks but I'm not sure if you go further if you win that.
It should be the same thing, the comp is nationwide.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
We have ours at macq uni next week, hmm, not prepared, haven't practiced and we did Acidic Environment last year, so hmm what's titration again? :p

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
Newcastle region one was on yesterday. 9 teams from Merewether High and 1 from sydney (wtf???). My team only placed 3rd. My advice: get the concentration of your indicator right. My friend was using too much and he had a too acidic solution while I wasn't using enough phenopthalein (2 drops) and therefore it was really hard to tell the endpoint.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
We haven't even done a proper practice and it's tomorrow.
=S

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Yeah they were running it at the UNSW SoChem FY labs today. You know what that means; you probably get stuck with some trollop first-year's burette; who has mysteriously managed to grow a silica garden in the nozzle ... or thought is would be interesting to poke into an acetylene flame! But don't worry, the whole ordeal is a big waste of time (not meaning to dishearten anyone). So many people get so close to the "right answer" that the winner is essentially the person who's errors sum the most favourably.

I wish Lavenderpup a fun weekend; and don't forget to pay homage to luck gods.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
close to the "right answer"?
please elucidate.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Jumbo Cactuar said:
who has mysteriously managed to grow a silica garden in the nozzle
I particularly hate those who leave NaOH in the burette and the tip fuse as a result.

Jumbo Cactuar said:
So many people get so close to the "right answer" that the winner is essentially the person who's errors sum the most favourably.
So true. It's not about who's closest, it's about whose errors just miraculously manage to cancel each other out perfectly.

HSC
Lavenderpup said:
i'm doing titration tomorrow at sydney uni
likewise, im likely to get my ass handed to me, im used to putting NaOH in the flask :p

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
me too, but you know the base goes into the burette now.
and u know the indicator phenopthalein, does it fades back to clear so u have to wait for a few minutes in order to ensure the titration has reached the endpoint?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)