To drop or to keep? (1 Viewer)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
This might be getting a little ahead of myself, but here's the story.

I currently do accelerated 3unit maths and will be doing the MX2 course next year (well at least attempt it). I am currently doing Year 11 Physics and finding it "not fun" >_< It's rather not what i thought it would be and the teacher isn't helping us improve. The dilemma is I don't know if I should drop Physics this year or fight it out for the preliminary (probably the best idea for my units and lines wise)

Next year, when it comes around, I will have to attempt MX2 and if I want to keep it I will need to drop something (because of the workload and difficulty).

When the times comes should I take MX2 for the whole course and drop Physics or keep Physics? I am quite good at maths and it's just that Physics is boring at the moment and I'm finding it a little frustrating. What are some benefits if anyone has been in a similar situation?

All help is appreciated.

N.B. Apologies for the lengthy story.

K

khorne

I think your best bet would be to find a year 12 physics text book, or look up some physics notes online, and decide for yourself if you will find year 12 physics fun. Mind you, I've been looking at it, and it has a lot more interesting topics than year 11 physics.

Additionally, it might be wise to have an extra 1 or 2 units for the HSC, as a back up.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
drop it. more than ten units is crappy.

although, you;d only have eight then. that would be good. concentrate on your other subjects.

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
12 units is the minimum for Prelim...

You could drop physics and take up extension2 something

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I'd stick with physics for now seeing as you need a minimum of 12U anyway.

Decide in yr 12 after you've picked up a physics text book and a maths extension 2 topic. Then decide whether or not you like/find it easier to do physics or math and then drop one if you can't cope with the workload.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
he's talking about next year....... so he only needs ten.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I was referring to next year by the way :D.

I think it's a good idea for me to wait and see how I go. Physics isn't all that bad I kinda picked it up today a bit better because the teacher just doesn't explain it. P.S. I'm in love with the excel book. It made me understand.

HSC
ive gotta to say..physics does suck
especially when te teacher is so immersed into what he's teaching he doesnt really know whether we know what he's talking about..

on second thoughts..it's probably because physics is the subject im worst at

Schoey93

HSC
12 units is a waste of time.

The reason you only have to do 10 units = 600 h class time for the year, is because the Board of Studies only expects dumbarses who need extra units 'as a safety net' to do 11 or more units.

I mean, honestly. If you cannot be fucked to put enough effort into five subjects, so much so that you are at risk of jeopardising your shot at a a UAI greater than 60.00, you really should not be doing the HSC at all. Having extra subjects is not going to help you. You should be responsible enough to make a decent attempt at all your examinations - if you stuff one up, you're a fool - either you are have a legitimate learning difficulty or you're just a lazy sonofabitch.

:D

allira92

HSC
Your probably better off stickin with it and see how u go as u need 12 units for prelim then that way if the workload bcomes 2 much next year then drop it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
The workload won't be too much next year with maths out of the road! :) Just that I could have MUCH more time on the rest if I dropped it next year...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I hope so. It's just that motion is boring (over and over) + the teacher makes very complicated questions and little sense on the board. Yet I read the Excel book and it's on the page what to do in simple english.... I am replacing my teacher with a book :D

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I hope so. It's just that motion is boring (over and over) + the teacher makes very complicated questions and little sense on the board. Yet I read the Excel book and it's on the page what to do in simple english.... I am replacing my teacher with a book :D
If you're going to do that (I do it myself, only 'cause my teacher's a nutjob.. Hard to find a good Physics teacher these days), make sure you use more than one textbook. Jacaranda/Surfing Physics/Excel/Dotpoint. Also, textbooks are terrible for practical-based assessments, so make sure you listen in class for them, and any other hints that your teacher gives for assessments.

By the way, if you want to look at Year 12 Physics, I can send you an electronic copy of Jacaranda Year 12. If interested, PM me.

Brooke369

HSC
If you're going to do that (I do it myself, only 'cause my teacher's a nutjob.. Hard to find a good Physics teacher these days), make sure you use more than one textbook. Jacaranda/Surfing Physics/Excel/Dotpoint. Also, textbooks are terrible for practical-based assessments, so make sure you listen in class for them, and any other hints that your teacher gives for assessments.

By the way, if you want to look at Year 12 Physics, I can send you an electronic copy of Jacaranda Year 12. If interested, PM me.
Hey i've been looking for an electronic copy of yr 12 jacaranda physics, and noticed that u had one when came along this thread. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sending me a copy. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)