to what extent is ranking important? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
your ranks aren't likely to change much

you aren't first

if first is 95

then you will (obviously) be below 95

theycallmebob

HSC
what are you talking about? i havnt entered yr 12 yet so how can i not be first?

HSC
Uni Grad
what are you talking about? i havnt entered yr 12 yet so how can i not be first?
"are you saying strictly 1st? in EVERY unit? what about 2nd and 3rd? i doubt I'm THE smartest person in all my subjects"

you are not first and it is unlikely that you will be

theycallmebob

HSC
you make less and less sense, its likely that more than one person will perform very well

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My school was ranked 540 or so. We had two people who got over 95 ATAR. Next person after us was 89.50. Don't expect miracles from your school.

theycallmebob

HSC
and anyway, what if i come second overall in internals, and then the people ahead of me do badly in externals while i get full marks?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
and anyway, what if i come second overall in internals, and then the people ahead of me do badly in externals while i get full marks?
Then you get a very good external HSC mark and a very good moderated assessment mark. The people who do crap ahead of you get a better moderated assessment mark than you because they're ranked higher, but as they do crap - they get crappy external marks.

so im assuming you were one of the over 95s, what were your ranks?
1st in everything except 2nd in all my Englishes.

mark H

HSC
Then you get a very good external HSC mark and a very good moderated assessment mark. The people who do crap ahead of you get a better moderated assessment mark than you because they're ranked higher, but as they do crap - they get crappy external marks.

1st in everything except 2nd in all my Englishes.
What was ur ATAR mate?

mattyr1

HSC
my rankings in all my subjects are horrible.. and my marks are in the 60s and 70s one in the 90s.. can i score in the 90s if i get 80s and 90s in the hsc??

lukasheights

HSC
If you're first then you automatically get the top external mark as your internal mark. If you're last then you automatically get the lowest external mark as your internal mark.
I know this is true about the top mark. But what about the bottom mark? If you're the bottom of a class, will you automatically get the lowest despite the fact that you may end up beating some of your competitors?

That hardly sounds fair at all.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know this is true about the top mark. But what about the bottom mark? If you're the bottom of a class, will you automatically get the lowest despite the fact that you may end up beating some of your competitors?

Of course it's fair. You seem to forget you get TWO marks: one external HSC mark which is whatever you get in the HSC, and one school moderated mark which is based on how your cohort does and where you are ranked in it.

So if you are ranked last and get a good HSC mark, you get your good HSC mark as your own external HSC mark - but the lowest HSC mark achieved by your entire class becomes your moderated school mark. Average these and you get your final HSC mark.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Moral of the Story: Don't come last.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)