Tony Abbott new opposition leader (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
I think that Tony Abbott will have greater electoral success than people think. There is a vacuum in Australian politics for a credible, conservative alternative that is not backwards and extreme. Regardless of what left wingers may say, Abbott is neither backwards, (He is a Rhodes Scholar and has a double degree in law and economics) or extreme... he is simply conservative. He is the voice that will ignite the conservative, moral spirit in the average Australian voter, particularly those who think there is some need to keep the cavalcade of left wing "progress" in check. He is the people's voice against another tax in the form of an ETS, he is the voice supporting life, he is the voice that balances reason and spirituality, somthing that may you people on BOS forget that people in the real world do as well. He is likeable, he is popular, he is not a bureaucrat by nature and he will scare Rudd like you wont believe. Young people are not dumb either, and not all of the new voters are drawn to Rudd's "quasi-modern-with-the-times " appeal...and many, young and old, with half a brain are begging for an alternative that is working in the interests of the common person, rather than acting like a show pony on the world stage. People want action not symbolism. Rudd loves symbolism and acting like he is a leader (eg Apology, Kyoto and now Copenhagen), but Abbott is about getting the job done.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
I think that Tony Abbott will have greater electoral success than people think. There is a vacuum in Australian politics for a credible, conservative alternative that is not backwards and extreme. Regardless of what left wingers may say, Abbott is neither backwards, (He is a Rhodes Scholar and has a double degree in law and economics) or extreme... he is simply conservative. He is the voice that will ignite the conservative, moral spirit in the average Australian voter, particularly those who think there is some need to keep the cavalcade of left wing "progress" in check. He is the people's voice against another tax in the form of an ETS, he is the voice supporting life, he is the voice that balances reason and spirituality, somthing that may you people on BOS forget that people in the real world do as well. He is likeable, he is popular, he is not a bureaucrat by nature and he will scare Rudd like you wont believe. Young people are not dumb either, and not all of the new voters are drawn to Rudd's "quasi-modern-with-the-times " appeal...and many, young and old, with half a brain are begging for an alternative that is working in the interests of the common person, rather than acting like a show pony on the world stage. People want action not symbolism. Rudd loves symbolism and acting like he is a leader (eg Apology, Kyoto and now Copenhagen), but Abbott is about getting the job done.
lolno

philphie

Banned
HSC
they should change the way elections are run.

instead of voting who u want to run, we should all be able to vote for who we dont want to run in numerical order
we don't vote for who we want to run, in the sense directly to voting for a prime minister. We vote for our local MPs, and whatever party has the more seats, the party leader is prime minister, it's proportional representation. That's why we have so many pointless parties

philphie

Banned
HSC
Not great at all. The new right-wing has now taken control. So much for moving to the centre for the Liberal Party. But since their moving to right-wing based even more ,their only going to isolate the young modern-minded voters with their spastic ideas and bullshit excuse again. I was hoping Malcolm Turnbull would change the Liberal Party. We'll miss him and the other Left-winged Liberal party members.
Maybe Rudd will pull another stunt and offer Turnbull a job like with Costello. I don't see the point in having a left wing Liberal, that's just a self confliction like Paul Keating. Keating undoubtedly many would claim to be one of the greatest Labor leaders, but really when you look at his economic policies, they were very Liberal, ordinary voters simply just overlooked this because of his working class roots. Then with Brendan Nelson, the man has Labor roots and he was leading the Liberal Party, and look how that turned out. Turnbull and Hockey have to be the only Centre moderates in a long time in the Liberal Party. That's the best kind of Liberal leader, going any further is just stupid, we might as well have the one Labor Party

philphie

Banned
HSC
I personally believe we should extend the Act of settlement 1701 to the post of Prime Minister to prevent this catholic Monk from ruining this country :(
Yeah you would say that Prince Harry, don't want some Irish fella playing hardknocks and going knackers against the new head of the Church of England. Jeez Harry, isn't a governor general enough for you royal lot?

philphie

Banned
HSC
Tony Abbott was only voted in because Hockey still spared loyalties with Turnbull, any Liberal will tell you Hockey is the better man. Abbott not backwards? Oh please, him and Nick Minchin don't even believe in climate change, if Galileo was here today they probably would have burned him at the stake. As for the credentials, most high profile politicians share the same CV, Kim Beazley and Malcom Turnbull are the two that come to my mind first when I think usyd graduate and Rhodes scholar. You talk about the ETS tax addition when you haven't even Abbot's own alternatives which Hockey has worked out to costing about $40 million, filled with old environmental policies which were tested and could never pe perpetuated or sustained. I am not a full supporter of the ETS not because of the tax but because of the risk it entails, that in the future big companies will become ambivalent towards the environmental destruction around them when they can simply buy their guilts away, I can only hope the scheme will scare them from losing money. Your criticisms on Rudd, some i agree on but to have someone like Abbott on the higher pedestal?

The man has become nothing more than the founder of a London Gentlemen's Club christened as 'The Howard Years'.

Lentern

HSC
Maybe Rudd will pull another stunt and offer Turnbull a job like with Costello. I don't see the point in having a left wing Liberal, that's just a self confliction like Paul Keating. Keating undoubtedly many would claim to be one of the greatest Labor leaders, but really when you look at his economic policies, they were very Liberal, ordinary voters simply just overlooked this because of his working class roots. Then with Brendan Nelson, the man has Labor roots and he was leading the Liberal Party, and look how that turned out. Turnbull and Hockey have to be the only Centre moderates in a long time in the Liberal Party. That's the best kind of Liberal leader, going any further is just stupid, we might as well have the one Labor Party
I remember, shortly after he became leader, Mark Latham saying something to the effect of You cant force a change of government without standing for something and giving the people a genuine alternative shortly after he was thrashed at the polls my brilliant local MP Laurie Ferguson gave a little talk at one of the schools we're voting had occurred and said something like obviously we're dissapointed with the result and could have done things more politically effectively but what's the point of becoming prime minister if you don't stand for anything and are no different to the bloke before you.

Two years later Kevin Rudd became leader, ran what was dubbed as the "me too" campaign, stacked the key portfolios with Wayne Swan, Stephen Smith, Stephen Conroy, Penny Wong, Robert McClelland, made few major electoral undertakings, converted msot of his policies to platitudes and now the labor party are happy as larry. How's the liberal party?

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
we don't vote for who we want to run, in the sense directly to voting for a prime minister. We vote for our local MPs, and whatever party has the more seats, the party leader is prime minister, it's proportional representation. That's why we have so many pointless parties
Proportional representation has nothing to do with what you just described.

In fact, the house which determines which party forms government, and hence becomes Prime Minister, is not even proportionally elected! :rolleyes:

Bond/Catalyst

HSC
Tony Abbott was only voted in because Hockey still spared loyalties with Turnbull, any Liberal will tell you Hockey is the better man. Abbott not backwards? Oh please, him and Nick Minchin don't even believe in climate change, if Galileo was here today they probably would have burned him at the stake. As for the credentials, most high profile politicians share the same CV, Kim Beazley and Malcom Turnbull are the two that come to my mind first when I think usyd graduate and Rhodes scholar. You talk about the ETS tax addition when you haven't even Abbot's own alternatives which Hockey has worked out to costing about $40 million, filled with old environmental policies which were tested and could never pe perpetuated or sustained. I am not a full supporter of the ETS not because of the tax but because of the risk it entails, that in the future big companies will become ambivalent towards the environmental destruction around them when they can simply buy their guilts away, I can only hope the scheme will scare them from losing money. Your criticisms on Rudd, some i agree on but to have someone like Abbott on the higher pedestal?

The man has become nothing more than the founder of a London Gentlemen's Club christened as 'The Howard Years'.
The way you write "believe in climate change" makes it seem like its a religion of its own and that those who dont believe that man-made emissions of carbon are the driver of increases in temperature are destined for eternal damnation or something...their is still MUCH debate about the extent to which humans are to blame for this and Abbott and the Liberal Party has stood up in response to a tremedous grass roots uproar against a apoliticially fuelled tax that threatens to severly put Australia at a comparative disadvantage in comparison to the rest of the world for now real purpose anyway as we emit less than 1% of the worlds bloody carbon anyway! So even if any increase in tempeature IS due to man made carbn pollution, we would be doing jack all by harming our economy to dent our carbon emissions. I say dumb move. Not in the interest of Australians but Rudd's false populism.

Perhaps the correct move for Australia should be towards nuclear power...and if Australia was really into tackling "climate change" then we should at least be seriously looking at this option. But in any case, Tony Abbott has principles and he is not afraid to stick by them, Australians dont want a clone of Rudd, they want a proactive alternative that will challenge the government's flaws, of which there are many.

In regards to Abbott's own alternatives, he has stated that the opposition is drafting an official climate change policy which will be released early next year. He has already committed to match Labors carbon reduction targets. So regardless of what YOU think HE thinks, he has already committed to match Labor's carbon emissions target, and is yet to formulate a coplete policy on achieveing that aim.

But its all bull anyway. Read Ian Plimer's "Heaven + Earth" if you want the facts of todays climate change propaganda, but then again that is not what this thread is about...

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
The way you write "believe in climate change" makes it seem like its a religion of its own and that those who dont believe that man-made emissions of carbon are the driver of increases in temperature are destined for eternal damnation or something...their is still MUCH debate about the extent to which humans are to blame for this and Abbott and the Liberal Party has stood up in response to a tremedous grass roots uproar against a apoliticially fuelled tax that threatens to severly put Australia at a comparative disadvantage in comparison to the rest of the world for now real purpose anyway as we emit less than 1% of the worlds bloody carbon anyway! So even if any increase in tempeature IS due to man made carbn pollution, we would be doing jack all by harming our economy to dent our carbon emissions. I say dumb move. Not in the interest of Australians but Rudd's false populism.

Perhaps the correct move for Australia should be towards nuclear power...and if Australia was really into tackling "climate change" then we should at least be seriously looking at this option. But in any case, Tony Abbott has principles and he is not afraid to stick by them, Australians dont want a clone of Rudd, they want a proactive alternative that will challenge the government's flaws, of which there are many.

In regards to Abbott's own alternatives, he has stated that the opposition is drafting an official climate change policy which will be released early next year. He has already committed to match Labors carbon reduction targets. So regardless of what YOU think HE thinks, he has already committed to match Labor's carbon emissions target, and is yet to formulate a coplete policy on achieveing that aim.

But its all bull anyway. Read Ian Plimer's "Heaven + Earth" if you want the facts of todays climate change propaganda, but then again that is not what this thread is about...
You do know god is a lie, right?

The Bible was a fairytale written to keep the plebs in line thousands of years ago. Hilarious that it is still doing its job with you here today.

Bond/Catalyst

HSC
You do know god is a lie, right?
If there was no God there would be no atheists ahahahaha

And regardless even IF there was no God, you cannot deny that the premise of His existance has shaped the world in a way which atheists can only be jealous of...as most of the world does believe in God or some Divine Being I daresay that I answer in all confidence that God is nothing but the greatest and most perfect truth, one worth fighting for and one which will continue to shape the world.

bio_nut

HSC
If there was no God there would be no atheists ahahahaha

And regardless even IF there was no God, you cannot deny that the premise of His existance has shaped the world in a way which atheists can only be jealous of...as most of the world does believe in God or some Divine Being I daresay that I answer in all confidence that God is nothing but the greatest and most perfect truth, one worth fighting for and one which will continue to shape the world.
Fuck off.

Bond/Catalyst

HSC
And not all of the Bible exists in the form of myths and legend, there are first and historical accounts, particularly in the New Testament. The Bible is not one book, but many and incorporates different writing styles and different techniques in illustrating the truth of God's goodness.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Not really, no. Sorry.

bio_nut

HSC
And not all of the Bible exists in the form of myths and legend, there are first and historical accounts, particularly in the New Testament. The Bible is not one book, but many and incorporates different writing styles and different techniques in illustrating the truth of God's goodness.
Through the flawed words of man?

Bond/Catalyst

HSC
Inspired by which divine being? Mr Hanky The Christmas Poo, perhaps?
The discussion was about Tony Abbott. Not about the Bible or God. I am currently having one on the Does God exist thread if you wish...how bout you actually respond to my last statement before you wrote "you know God is a lie"... thats not wat this thread is about...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)