too many people aiming for 99.95? (1 Viewer)

bangladesh

HSC
lol, trust me when i say this but not many of the .95ers would spend much time on bos, so most of the ones here probably won't get it

enoilgam

HSC
how many of these people are being realistic.
Not many, but that shouldnt stop people from aiming high.

so am I not allowed to ponder about society and others in general? am I only allowed to think about myself and my own goals? jeez me asking about other people getting 99.95 just leads to all these assumptions that "I want 99.95 and no-one else can get". give me a break.
We are disagreeing with you, it isnt personal.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
hmm I agree. :D

so am I not allowed to ponder about society and others in general? am I only allowed to think about myself and my own goals? jeez me asking about other people getting 99.95 just leads to all these assumptions that "I want 99.95 and no-one else can get". give me a break.
It's not personal and I just disagree with the fact one shouldn't have a 99.95 aim even if they are off.
You can have your opinion and I respect that so cool beans.

mreditor16

HSC
Post made: 11.38 am, are you sure you weren't supposed to be in physics then? :p

I think its a psychological thing to aim for the highest, because goals generally set the boundaries for capabilities either consciously or subconsciously. For example, if I was to have an ATAR aim of 60, its very likely that my work ethics and attitude would mirror my goals regardless of whether or not I was capable of more, simply because I had set the boundary of that goal. Surpassing a goal is supposed to bring 'satisfaction' and so theoretically I would be satisfied with 60.35 haha

Similarly, our goals often do define our boundaries and thats why its always best to aim for the highest possible, though I agree with you in that the goals should be realistic i.e. by all means aim for 99.95 to leave no room for regrets (you know, aim for the highest and even if you fall short you'll have surpassed your expectations) but be conscious that this goal is simply there as a symbol of your motivation, rather than one to be achieved. I'm sure that majority of people with the 99.95 goal are perfectly conscious of what they're actually going to get (I hope so, haha) but the 99.95 is there to symbolise the need to achieve the maximal outcomes, and what better outcome than to be in the top 48 students out of 70-something thousand?

For example, my personal atar goal is around 99.7. I'm perfectly aware that my actual atar will be much lower than that, but why should I limit myself to what I'm 'capable' of? There's no fun in that– the true beauty lies in challenging yourself rather than simply achieving what you already know you can, and being rewarded for your efforts :)

Edit: Also BOS (its a student forum in the end) and the people at our school represent a sample population with much higher ATAR goals than perhaps the rest of the state. I think when we associate with high achievers, we start to take for granted other things that other people would aspire for, e.g. today someone was saying something about how 98.7 was nowhere near good, but reality is that you'd be top 1.3% of the state haha and for most people that would be simply beyond their reach. So maybe that explains the excessive "I'm going to get 99.95" aims :)
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to harrypotterfan again. :D

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I'm sorry, its just getting out of hand.

In the sense of this popcorn, I'm running out, so keep on topic please.

hecticated

HSC
I say that I'm aiming for 99.95 but there is no way I'm expecting it.
People aim higher so that they can achieve higher.
It's like setting limits, say if I aimed for 90, I will probably get 80 if you get what I mean.
Personally, I like aiming for the impossible so that no limits are set for me.

sugartits

HSC
99.95 = in top 0.05% of the cohort, usually there's about 50,000 and there needs to be a significant change for there to be just 1 more person admitted to that band, so its been set at 47-48 people per year.

just get into that group :p May the 74th hunger games begin

emilios

HSC
Since everybody's telling me to aim as high as I can, 100 ATARS here i come

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)