Too tired of travel (1 Viewer)

roookie

HSC
It takes me about 2- 2.5 hours to travel to USYD (one way) every day, and I'm finding myself getting too exhausted. I know it's only been a week, but I think i'm already behind in work, and too tired to even think about doing anything :\

By the way, I'm completely broke, so no chance of finding a place close to uni (can't even afford textbooks). Also, it's very hard to study during travel, since I have to catch two buses and one train so always on the move (& don't get a seat).

Anyone have any advice for me?

witide

HSC
College scholarship.
Get used to it.
Centrelink.
Drop out.

Your options are thin.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Didn't you think about this BEFORE you signed up for uni?

Suck it up or quit. We can't solve the fact that you live miles from the city.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
You'll get use to it. Don't worry. :)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
You really do get used to it. It does suck, but once you get used to the longer hours, its not so bad.

Its the same when you first start full time work - the first few weeks are exhausting, but you get used to it. Just takes a few weeks to adjust.

You'll also figure out the most efficient way to do it - for example for me, it took longer to get to central station for my train than redfern, but from central I could get a Newcastle train (with comfy seats), which was only 1/2 hour trip (compared to 50 mins on the normal train).
You figure those things out as you go.

I also find that people who are busier tend to be more efficient - but again, this comes with time.

Stick it out for a semester - its only 12 more weeks, you can do it! And then reassess if you need to.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
which buses/trains do you catch?

sometimes getting on at a different station can help. I get on at redfern instead of central, because it means I always get a seat (north shore)

sleeping/resting/chilling out on the train is the best way to do it. perhaps see if you can catch an extra train instead of bus?

otherwise, consider transferring to another uni after first semester perhaps. or scholarships (are you in a situation where you can get youth allowance?)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
where do u live? sorry but you either have to deal with it, or learn how to apparate.

JustAnotherOne

HSC
Welcome to Uni!

It's not like school, and you probably are further away (having gone to high school in the middle of the city for six years, it didn't bother me much last year, but obviously not everyone is so lucky).

Everyone takes a few weeks to adjust. You simply aren't in the same environment that you've been in for the past six years. If you can adapt, then you're good. What I'd recommend is this:

*Hang in there. Eventually you get used to it.
*Make use of any time off during the day. If you have a 2 hour gap in the middle of the day, perhaps you could use it to study. If you've already got 2 hours out of the way, you won't have as much to do when you get home.
*Try and get a bit of rest during the trip.
*(My general advice for everyone): Start studying from day 1. Far too many people will do nothing until stuvac, only to realise they now have 1 week to learn a 13 week course. Not a good feeling.

The rule of thumb in second semester is this: If you haven't started studying when the Jacarandas bloom on Physics Road, you're stuffed.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
The rule of thumb in second semester is this: If you haven't started studying when the Jacarandas bloom on Physics Road, you're stuffed.
Yeah I've heard this too haha.

But I haven't had any exams for a few years now.

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
Welcome to Uni!

It's not like school, and you probably are further away (having gone to high school in the middle of the city for six years, it didn't bother me much last year, but obviously not everyone is so lucky).

Everyone takes a few weeks to adjust. You simply aren't in the same environment that you've been in for the past six years. If you can adapt, then you're good. What I'd recommend is this:

*Make use of any time off during the day. If you have a 2 hour gap in the middle of the day, perhaps you could use it to study. If you've already got 2 hours out of the way, you won't have as much to do when you get home.
*(My general advice for everyone): Start studying from day 1. Far too many people will do nothing until stuvac, only to realise they now have 1 week to learn a 13 week course. Not a good feeling.

What a fucking shit post. Straight out of some handbook authored by a dipshit that's not even a student. Piss the fuck off.

The only thin that's gonna help is hard drugs - start shooting up on the train to pass the time. Use ritalin to help study.

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
Welcome to Uni!

Also by this author:
* 101 Money Saving Tips!
* Men's guide to being an alpha male
* How to lose weight without exersize

And many more!

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Nah it's pretty solid advice.

Not that I ever followed it.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I have a long travel time as well (around 2 hours each way) but so far it hasn't been too bad. My sister works full time in the city too and commutes every day. Unfortunately it's just what we have to do if we live so far away from the city. (And the government wonders why people further out are less likely to attend uni. :rolleyes:) While it kinda sucks not to be one of the lucky ones who live close by I'm sure you'll get used to it - so far I've used a lot of my time to do my readings etc. (except on the days I've had zero sleep). I guess in that way the long trip can actually be SOMEWHAT productive if you let it.

What I AM sick of though is paying a billion dollars a week on train fares only to have the trains arrive late half the time, missing my connections etc. My train arrived at central 30 minutes late the other day (only my 3rd day of uni), I had to wait a further 10 minutes for a connection to Redfern and I arrived 25 minutes late to a lecture. I guess I consider myself lucky that I learnt the easy way before we have exams / assignments due though haha.

Anyway hold in there and I'm sure you'll be fine! There are way more people in a similar position than you may realise.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I have a similar commute time to both uni and work

You get used to it, or you move out. I chose the former because it's cheaper. It's really not that bad after a while.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
For the first year or so of uni I had a similar commute.

But then I bought a car and cut probably 40 minutes off the trip by driving to the train station instead of catching the bus.

So for the next 3 years it was a manageable 1.5 hours or so.

And then in summer I moved to Brighton so now the trip is 1 hour (including a 25 minute walk to the train station haha). Hurrah!

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
For the first year or so of uni I had a similar commute.

But then I bought a car and cut probably 40 minutes off the trip by driving to the train station instead of catching the bus.

So for the next 3 years it was a manageable 1.5 hours or so.

And then in summer I moved to Brighton so now the trip is 1 hour (including a 25 minute walk to the train station haha). Hurrah!
i'd rather an extra hour on the train over a 25 minute walk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)