Train / ticket question (1 Viewer)

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
If I get a weekly ticket to the city (not Redfern), would I still be able to use this to get in/out at the Redfern ticket gates? I come from Campbelltown way so Redfern is (sometimes) a station between my origin and the city if that helps - depending on whether the particular train goes via Sydenham or Airport / East Hills line.

I know there's all the crap about 'breaking your journey' but the site indicates it SHOULD be allowed with a weekly ticket... Still thought I'd check to see if other people do this and hopefully avoid any awkward moments with rude CityRail employees at Redfern if the gate doesn't open.

Just seems silly for me to pay so much for a weekly ticket to Redfern then pay on top of that for other tickets when I'll want to be going to central and the city circle sometimes as well. Thanks if anyone knows the answer.

EDIT: I was going to link the CityRail page with ticket conditions but the site is "temporarily unavailable". Just like their trains are half the time.

Last edited:

danz90

HSC
I'm pretty sure you can get off at any station in between your origin and destination shown on the ticket. I've tried it before - ticket barriers opened for me.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Yes, you can~
I do it all the time.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
best to ask station staff, and get it in writing.
Lmao, thanks for the advice. I'll have one of the staff whip up a letter for me tomorrow morning pronto which I will proceed to wave at anyone who says I'm getting off at the wrong station.

Thanks for the help everyone.

bio_nut

HSC
Lmao, thanks for the advice. I'll have one of the staff whip up a letter for me tomorrow morning pronto which I will proceed to wave at anyone who says I'm getting off at the wrong station.

Thanks for the help everyone.
They'll think you're a moron if you do that. I just told you, I did it every day and have had my ticket checked and it was fine as you're ALLOWED TO DO IT.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, lol - for tickets that you actually buy (such as weekly/return/flexipass whatever) you can get on/off at any station in between. Hence if it doesn't cost any more money, just buy it to the City. I've done it for the past fortnight or so, and it's convenient in that if you're going to the city afterwards, and want to catch a train from say, Town Hall, you don't have to buy a new ticket.

Getting it in writing will be pretty hilarious though.

witide

HSC
I've always wondered how this applies to the October changes for the Northern line. Since the trains go both ways, via Strathfield or via Chatswood, I can pretty much get off anywhere on the line as long as I have a city ticket.

HSC
Yeah I buy my weekly tickets to Central since it costs the same as Redfern, but allows me to get off at Central if I dare.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Lol if anyone actually thought I'd try to get the CityRail staff to write me a letter. I'm not a crazy person. Sarcasm doesn't work well online.

But yeah, a weekly city ticket is only a dollar more than the Redfern one so I just got that since I'll end up saving more that way.

witide

HSC
What if I'm coming from Pennant Hills? I can choose to go to Redfern via Chatswood or Epping. I have to interchange at Epping if I go that route, but it's a shorter distance. According to CityRail, getting off at Central would not be within my path and shouldn't be allowed, but they still accept my ticket in the machine.

It's madness. I should try getting a ticket to Eastwood and taking the long route via Chatswood and City and see what happens if I get off early.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)