Trial Discussion Thread. (2 Viewers)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
My exams are FINISHED!!!!1!

Good luck for everyone doing Extension History!

My mate does IPT and Extension History. lol. Exams are at the same time

(Actually another one of my friends had a drama and 3u maths clash today as well)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay guise, need some advice.

Venting frustration/depression/whatever here:

So I've been really devo - from completely bombing out of 4U trials like quite possibly under 50% (no, I'm not exaggerating or being a 'snake') - all the other subs have been fine so far hopefully but I have 2 more trials to go - anyways, if you KNOW you stuffed up real bad in a trial, what's the best way to mentally prepare yourself when you get the results back without being too negatively affected by it? (right now, I fear more that I'll be completely devo/ demoralised upon receiving the result compared to the actual result)

Should I avoid speculation and think that I did better than I actually think I did? [However, getting hopes up = chance of feeling much worse cause my hopes would get crushed if results are actually shocking when I receive them] --> Short term - I feel better but when I get result = worse off possibly.
Should I speculate (expect the worst)? If I indeed get shocking results back, I'll probably feel less shit since it was expected but in the short term --> feel paranoid and negative [like I currently am].

As for afterwards, which option is the best (let's assume it was very detrimental and I'm realistically capped at low 80s final mark at BEST for 4U - pretty much the absolute worst case scenario. Yes I know that low 80s in 4U is still pretty good in terms of scaling and ATAR equivalence but lets just say I'm giving myself a hopeful shot to do better in externals):
- Work much harder for 4U for externals (however, it'll probably draw time away from my other subjects).
- Partially give up on 4U without dropping it (basically going to assume it won't count since I do 12 units but tbh, it might still outscale something...)
- Attempt to drop 4U (I doubt I can do so at this stage though since 2U trials are over) - so I end up with 11 units (a big minus is that 3U becomes only 1 unit whereas keeping 4U means my 3U, which is still good atm, is worth 2 units)

But I guess before a decision is made, I need to assess the extent of the impact of bombing out in a test weighing 45% for 4U.

Last edited:

Makematics

HSC
i reckon dont drop it. as for mental preparation, just forget about it. If you go to selective school and your rank is above average, you will get scaled the fk up, so don't worry too much. you still have externals to go!

Don't give up here bro, you've come so far! what would federer do? hahaha

enoilgam

HSC
But I guess before a decision is made, I need to assess the extent of the impact of bombing out in a test weighing 45% for 4U.
It's all idle speculation until you get your results really - I would say dont worry too much, but I will spare you (because it's easy to say, but hard to do). Just do some stuff to take your mind off things.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
i reckon dont drop it. as for mental preparation, just forget about it. If you go to selective school and your rank is above average, you will get scaled the fk up, so don't worry too much. you still have externals to go!

Don't give up here bro, you've come so far! what would federer do? hahaha
Easier said than done - even if I forget about it - most likely will have a long vent (at home) once I get the results back :cry:

Actually, the shock of just seeing the mark and friends asking for my mark = already dreading it. [even if I don't tell, people can see it when ranks/marks sheet that goes around the class is to be signed off by everyone].

Since its 45% weighting, it'll probably make my above average rank go towards the bottom. [I hate the weighting so much]

A young prime Federer would probably bounce back and rip externals (god-mode).
An old declining Federer would hope to do something but realistically, he can't rip it~~

Yeah, I will most likely keep it - as for not giving up - it'll depend on my post-results thoughts, we'll see.

It's all idle speculation until you get your results really - I would say dont worry too much, but I will spare you (because it's easy to say, but hard to do). Just do some stuff to take your mind off things.
Yeah I'll try to - but then again, part of me wants to immediately start practising 4U maths, after trials are finished, to better prep for HSC whilst part of me wants to not do 4U until later in the term because I don't want to be reminded of it.

Last edited:

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Rivalry, you pretty much said my life.

I'm only dreading one exam.

I guess what I do is try to think of the positive and not the negative, and just put things into perspective. Don't over think it, especially before you get the result.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Rivalry, you pretty much said my life.

I'm only dreading one exam.

I guess what I do is try to think of the positive and not the negative, and just put things into perspective. Don't over think it, especially before you get the result.
Yeah, I've been trying to do so:
E.g. 4U scales really well - bombing out in 4U isn't as detrimental as bombing out in let's say Business Studies.
or I do 12 units so if 4U is actually terribly horrendous then it just won't count to my to 10 units.
or externals can make the difference (easier said than done though).

Marc26

HSC
Easier said than done - even if I forget about it - most likely will have a long vent (at home) once I get the results back :cry:

Actually, the shock of just seeing the mark and friends asking for my mark = already dreading it. [even if I don't tell, people can see it when ranks/marks sheet that goes around the class is to be signed off by everyone].

Since its 45% weighting, it'll probably make my above average rank go towards the bottom. [I hate the weighting so much]

A young prime Federer would probably bounce back and rip externals (god-mode).
An old declining Federer would hope to do something but realistically, he can't rip it~~

Yeah, I will most likely keep it - as for not giving up - it'll depend on my post-results thoughts, we'll see.

Yeah I'll try to - but then again, part of me wants to immediately start practising 4U maths, after trials are finished, to better prep for HSC whilst part of me wants to not do 4U until later in the term because I don't want to be reminded of it.
You know as much as I do about tennis. You know what Federer did. Sure 2013 hasn't been too great for him. But after 2011, everyone said he wouldn't win another slam. What did he do in 2012? He won Wimbledon.
Come on Rivalry, put in the hard yards like so many others do- like Federer did - you will see the results come. Think smart.
When you screw up a test, use the anger/frustration that you have as motivation to do better.
What happened during your 4U exam is in the past. Do NOT dwell on this. You can do better. You know you can if you put your mind to it..

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
It'll be fine bro
you're over thinking it... just let it be and focus on your upcoming exam
It's already finished now, there is no reason for you to dwell on it - 4U is already good enough, don't drop it this far into the year

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I've been trying to do so:
E.g. 4U scales really well - bombing out in 4U isn't as detrimental as bombing out in let's say Business Studies.
or I do 12 units so if 4U is actually terribly horrendous then it just won't count to my to 10 units.
or externals can make the difference (easier said than done though).
Good points.

Remember that externals are theoretically 50%, but they account for much more.

Also, it's all relative. People around you could've underperformed too.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
You know as much as I do about tennis. You know what Federer did. Sure 2013 hasn't been too great for him. But after 2011, everyone said he wouldn't win another slam. What did he do in 2012? He won Wimbledon.
Come on Rivalry, put in the hard yards like so many others do- like Federer did - you will see the results come. Think smart.
When you screw up a test, use the anger/frustration that you have as motivation to do better.
What happened during your 4U exam is in the past. Do NOT dwell on this. You can do better. You know you can if you put your mind to it..
Easier said than done but thanks bro.

It'll be fine bro
you're over thinking it... just let it be and focus on your upcoming exam
It's already finished now, there is no reason for you to dwell on it - 4U is already good enough, don't drop it this far into the year
Let's hope so.

Good points.

Remember that externals are theoretically 50%, but they account for much more.

Also, it's all relative. People around you could've underperformed too.
Yeah, but general consensus was that test wasn't that bad for most people compared to how I found it.

Rank-wise, my bombing out is pretty detrimental.

But yeah, thanks guys for the support.

Hopefully, I won't shed too many tears that night (for the day I receive the 4U trials result).

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

Let's hope so.

Yeah, but general consensus was that test wasn't that bad for most people compared to how I found it.

Hopefully, I won't shed too many tears that night (for the day I receive the 4U trials result).
Cheer up bro :)

lightingbolt

HSC
N/A
bro,

I am here to support you.

Don't drop, don't be lazy, I got 30/100 in my 4U ( I serious did no study, I bombed the exam), there was noone to support me, or tell me to keep 4U, then I decided to drop it. I am still happy, because I did good in 2u and 3u.

Just relax, there is always some problems in our life, you just have to forget about the past, think how you can do better.

Your are smart, we all know that, you can do it, go get that E4, bro!

Good luck,

Here is my brothers true story who went to Sydney boys, as a motivation for you.

My brother was smart, very smart, since his chem teacher give him a lower mark, he ranked 50 that was only his first assignment for chemistry, he worked harder from there on, got full marks in all his other chem assessments and in his other subjects he was ranked 1st. Closer to trials, he ended up smashing everyone in his class, came first in chemistry with 99% in his trial, in math ext 1 he got 98%, maths ext 2 100%, Physics 100%, English Advanced 97% overall. He was very luck to state rank two sciences, maths ext 1 and 2.

He still did pretty well in english as well, don't know why he didn't get a state rank in English Advanced!

He was the biggest beast ever! I use my brothers story as my motivation to get 99.95 Atar.

This shows just how important is to work hard, stay focus, you will achieve you goal!

Last edited:

Focus is Key

HSC

Let's hope so.

From my experience, when people say things like that they usually do much worse than they expected. I know personally, a girl who's very good at Legal said the Legal trials were so easy and she finished with so much extra time and I found it difficult. I was in the same boat as you, thinking I'd bombed it. Turns out everyone found it difficult and I ended up thrashing her when we got the final results back. Same thing could happen for you.

Or you could take a different approach. For me, Extension 2 English probably won't count and since I did 13 units (you do 12) you still have lots of other backups if it doesn't work out. Don't drop 4U Maths!

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
From my experience, when people say things like that they usually do much worse than they expected. I know personally, a girl who's very good at Legal said the Legal trials were so easy and she finished with so much extra time and I found it difficult. I was in the same boat as you, thinking I'd bombed it. Turns out everyone found it difficult and I ended up thrashing her when we got the final results back. Same thing could happen for you.

Or you could take a different approach. For me, Extension 2 English probably won't count and since I did 13 units (you do 12) you still have lots of other backups if it doesn't work out. Don't drop 4U Maths!
This happened to me in the Legal half yearly.

The first guy moved to third, and he was telling me how much he wrote and how easy it was.

Turns out he got 11/20 for multiple choice which pulled him down significantly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)