Trial past paper- Belonging? (1 Viewer)

beb

HSC
I'm looking at a trial past paper for english that my teacher gave us..and i do not understand this picture at all :| . i was wondering if anyone could help me figure it out. the questions are:
"identify clearly ONE idea about belonging suggested by Leunig in this cartoon"
"explain how visual features support this idea about belonging"

and fml, it doesn't let me copy and paste or attach the pic here :|
well if anyone has the barker 2009 trial it's in that ..thanks guys:S

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad

personally, I have no idea. but that's the cartoon, yes?

Brontecat

HSC
the guy running out doesn't really belong in the house 'cause the dog is trying to run him out & he's carrying a pillow & swag - kind of has no intention of coming back... lady at the door belongs there, feels unthreatened by the environment (evident through facial expression, friendly gesture)... maybe belonging is restrictive, the other guy did belong there but had to break out (through the grass entrance; grass suggests it was easy to break out of his restrictive environment) to get away from the order and structure... the caption 'The magnificent all powerful Neville Smith' is criticising the mans running away as weak - it's weak to not belong... the car belongs on the street.... fences are boundaries - boundaries of belonging...

...and basically i have no idea, that's just my general ramblings/brainstorm lol :)

b0redAsian

HSC
LOL english... hate it with a passion x 10^8 (hate it more than the speed of light :p)

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
I would answer that Barker cannot write a reading task.

But seriously, the notion that in order to belong, one may have to compromise?
The contrast between the immaculately presented 'mother figure' and the dishevelled 'child' suggests that their connection (shown by her friendly gesture) transcends the fact that they are radically different people.

Fuck, I'm bad at this. TBH I cannot see belonging in it. And thanks to 2U English, I notice belonging in everything (FML).

PS Because it is 2 marks, you'll need another technique.

twistedrebel

HSC
lady belonging at front door, waving goodbye like a good housewife?
bin belonging outside on the street?

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, it's a bit of a bitchy question, isn't it? at the moment, I'm thinking the neatly manicured house and lawn and woman contrast to the disshevelled appearance of the man, emphasising how he does not appear to belong within the setting. and his departure through the whatever-the-shit-that-grass-wall-is is symbolic of him breaking free of the conformist mould, insert cliche conclusion here.

:uhoh:

beb

HSC
haha ye good ideas guys
i was full looking at this for like an hour
it's so stupid :|
thanks for your help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)