• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

TV's Neighbours is 'too white' (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
HIT Australian TV soap Neighbours has been branded "too white" by black and Asian viewers in Britain.

A report by the nation's racial equality chief found many ethnic viewers felt were under-represented in some of Britain's most popular shows.

Neighbours, which is screened on the Five network, and the BBC comedy The Vicar of Dibley starring Dawn French were singled out for being "all white".

Other popular soaps including the BBC's Eastenders and ITV's Coronation Street also came under attack for including stereotypical characters such as Asian shopkeepers and black single mums.

However reality TV shows including the X Factor and Strictly Come Dancing were commended because people who appeared on those shows were defined by their talent not their ethnicity.

Equality and Human Rights Commission chairman Trevor Phillips said many of Britain's major broadcasters remained "hideously white" when choosing programs.

"I don't think anybody here is saying British TV is racist," Phillips said.

"There are minority faces on TV, but it's that we're not quite getting it right, because we do not really have any minority decision makers.

"White people who live next door to Asian neighbours will see a representation of an ethnic minority family and they will say, `I don't think so, it doesn't ring true with the people I know'."

The report was commissioned by Channel 4 following last year's race row involving reality show Celebrity Big Brother.

During the program, screened early in 2007, Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty found herself under attack from two fellow female contestants.

A senior non-executive BBC director, Dr Samir Shah, also recently accused the public broadcaster of rampant tokenism in its programs.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24035502-23109,00.html

People realise this now? I've been saying this before, what happened to that Asian chick who rooted Connor? :)

HSC
chicky_pie said:
People realise this now? I've been saying this before, what happened to that Asian chick who rooted Connor? :)
Asian chick was booted out because she was Asian. Sound logical to me.

LOL! Kidding! :p

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
chicky_pie said:
They killed her off for being too Asian

EDIT: explosions got in first with his asian call :(

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
it means who the fuck cares

so some little fictional suburb has only white people. THIS IS NOT SO FAR REMOVED FROM THE TRUTH.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
i can't wait until we get like america and legally have to have a certain number of non whites in every show, advertisement and all other media :D

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Will Shakespear said:
i can't wait until we get like america and legally have to have a certain number of non whites in every show, advertisement and all other media :D
i cant wait till we can legally shoot the shit out of mexicans for stealing our neighbours shit

thats a true democracy

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
katie tully said:
i cant wait till we can legally shoot the shit out of mexicans for stealing our neighbours shit

thats a true democracy
where are we going to get the mexicans from? :confused:

Zrap

glock9
HSC
Put sudos in the neigbourhood yo so they can steal stuff and bash Toadie

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
Maybe people don't realise that just because 10% of the population is Asian, that doesn't mean 10% of the acting industry is Asian. Seriously, where do people get the idea that racial ratios of populations translate to workforce racial ratios? It's like saying there is a 1:1 gender ratio in every god damn industry.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
10% translates to 1 or 2 "non-white" (whatever that means, are wogs white or not? they're european but not anglo, so...) cast members per show, which is roughly what you see anyway

on the other hand there are individuals (some on bos) who seem to have never left their particular suburb of sydney and believe the whole population is about 50% ethnic which isn't the case either

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
She gave birth to a sheep, she was Kiwi remember.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Snaykew said:
Maybe people don't realise that just because 10% of the population is Asian, that doesn't mean 10% of the acting industry is Asian. Seriously, where do people get the idea that racial ratios of populations translate to workforce racial ratios? It's like saying there is a 1:1 gender ratio in every god damn industry.
It's because its part of the media, and often people's ideas of society are shaped by it. I still get a fuckload of racist comments (like the bad, sinister ones, not the playful and sometimes witty ones) from people, and I still apparently "shock" people with my aussie accent. You think I'm exaggerating, but if you hung around me enough, you'd be pretty shocked at what I cop.

It would be a nice step if certain popular australian shows could acknowledge our existance, but all in all, I'm fairly apathetic. It's as much apathy as the fact that the majority of the western world can agree that eurasians are beautiful, yet they don't appear very much in the media.

Neighbours/Home & Away etc just makes me think they're in the sunshine coast, or some other heavy-anglo populated place. It doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)