Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer (1 Viewer)

hopscotchiscool

HSC
Out of all the texts to choose from...Twilight. I'm sure there is not an English teacher who has not knitted their brows in a little frustration or felt slight disdain for the series. I too agree that choosing Twilight as related material or even slight reference would be too risky. I wouldn't try that myself.

Last edited:

Brontecat

HSC
i disagree with some of the comments, i think that if you can use twilight and explore an abstract angle of belonging that shows enormous depth it can end up being much more worthwhile than a text that has 'literary quality' where you explore the simplest concept.

jennieTalia

HSC
jonosup said:
Which book represents the clearest ideas of Bella belonging to the Cullens?
a) twilight
b) new moon
c) eclipse

and any themes that can back up this idea. :)

I would suggest not doing any unless you can do them REALLY well. A lot of people are going to be clinging onto them as the only books they have ever really read -.-

There is not enough depth imo. But good luck, if you are good at it then it shouldn't matter too much.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
fucking lol.

retardation meets new levels.

HSC
please please please dont use any of the twilight series as a related text.

not only are they too shallow to analyse, they are way too long and it will be a pain in the arse to use.

trust me.

N

Nicola1616

Isnt' a bit snobby to say someone's reading choices are crap? My own view is that the purpose of related texts is to explore the ways belonging is explored in a variety of texts. If you are using the Twilight Series to show that Belonging is an important concept which underpins many texts even those from pop-culture constucted for a teenage audience then I think that's insightful - maybe another text up your sleeve wouldn't be a bad idea - even the Dracula movies (the original maybe). Maybe if you are doing Advanced you might have some elitist teachers who label literature as 'worthy' and 'not worthy' so perhaps you should check but in general, for the area of study, as many text types as possilbe is a great thing AND if you love the books and you've already read them I wouldn't be turned off them by what other people say. The best thing in the world is to have a related text that you love and know well. Just acknowlege the type of text and intended audience and stear away from some of her more outrageous similies.

EvilRobotMan

HSC
I believe that Advanced students shouldn't even considering using teen popular fiction, you're supposed to be proving how suave you are with literature so then why ram some 14 year old fantasy novel down an English teachers throat. EVERYTHING relates to belonging. Choose something clever!

morganjane

HSC
Hey there.

Don't call me harsh, I love the twilight series don't get me wrong, but I don't think they are a good choice for other related material. IMO you should think about having something else seriously.

All the best
God Bless
Morgan
xXx

N

Nicola1616

I believe that Advanced students shouldn't even considering using teen popular fiction, you're supposed to be proving how suave you are with literature so then why ram some 14 year old fantasy novel down an English teachers throat. EVERYTHING relates to belonging. Choose something clever!
If you are doing 4 unit english you should at least have a working knowledge of current thoughts in Literary Theory. It is considered extremely authoritarian and elitist to be grouping texts into crap and 'suave' literature. If a text speaks to you then it speaks to you! Also in Belonging you aren't studying suave texts, you are studying a concept - so a mature and sophisticated understanding of the concept of belonging is the aim and any texts that broaden that knowledge are worthy. Also you need a stong personal response so if the Twilgiht series is one way in which you do that - I say, more power to you.

HSC
Isnt' a bit snobby to say someone's reading choices are crap? My own view is that the purpose of related texts is to explore the ways belonging is explored in a variety of texts. If you are using the Twilight Series to show that Belonging is an important concept which underpins many texts even those from pop-culture constucted for a teenage audience then I think that's insightful - maybe another text up your sleeve wouldn't be a bad idea - even the Dracula movies (the original maybe). Maybe if you are doing Advanced you might have some elitist teachers who label literature as 'worthy' and 'not worthy' so perhaps you should check but in general, for the area of study, as many text types as possilbe is a great thing AND if you love the books and you've already read them I wouldn't be turned off them by what other people say. The best thing in the world is to have a related text that you love and know well. Just acknowlege the type of text and intended audience and stear away from some of her more outrageous similies.
I know, it does seem a bit unfair dosen't it :(

But that's how the world goes. If you want the marks, you have to please the markers.

And not many english teachers markers are twilight fans. Or would be. I'm just saying.

Unless you're not really looking to get a uai or a good uai I would still suggest you stay away from Twilight. If you just want a HSC but not a UAI by all means do Twilight for your own enjoyment!

min-tee

HSC
Everyone is pretty predjudiced here. :mad1:
I asked my teacher if Twilight was a bad choice or not, she cringed.
I then asked if the marker would judge me for choosing Twilight and she said NO.
As long as you are doing everything right, have the right quotes, TEE etc. (and can relate the topic of belonging as much as you can to it) you'll be fine.

If I were you go for Twilight.
Its shorter and has a lot of quotes (particularly in the early chapters) on not belonging. The early chapters have a lot on Bella's distaste for Forks, her insecurity about not knowing anyone there and her relationship with her father and her sense of alienation from Forks and the sense of belonging she feels in Phoenix.
If you want to do belonging you can talk about how Bella feels that she belongs with Edward and how he, Angela and the Cullens (sans Rosalie) provide her social security (needed for belonging) and the contrast of Bella's feelings about belonging at the beginning (when she is dejected about living in Forks) to the end (when she is happy in Forks)

In the end the decision is up to you, do something you like and will remember well.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
neg repping everyone in this thread

if you pick twilight as a supp tex, you shouldnt be doing advanced

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
If you are doing 4 unit english you should at least have a working knowledge of current thoughts in Literary Theory. It is considered extremely authoritarian and elitist to be grouping texts into crap and 'suave' literature. If a text speaks to you then it speaks to you! Also in Belonging you aren't studying suave texts, you are studying a concept - so a mature and sophisticated understanding of the concept of belonging is the aim and any texts that broaden that knowledge are worthy. Also you need a stong personal response so if the Twilgiht series is one way in which you do that - I say, more power to you.
I'm sorry, but that's the way the world goes. No [smart] teacher or HSC marker would ever consider suggesting a book from the Twilight series as a supplementary text - yes, it may deal with concepts of belonging, but how strongly supported is it by truly good writing (not trying to be elitist here, just honest) or techniques [for the student to analyse]? Furthermore, the markers may not respond well to the fact you have chosen such a text; they really do expect you to choose an 'intelligent' text.

So really, really think hard before you make a choice.

red-butterfly

HSC
Breaking dawn would be the best text out of the Twilight series with the most belonging... as she starts off as just a weak pawn, but then becomes the strongest, the queen hence the cover.

I highly do not recomend the Twilight series for a related text for belonging... Sure its a good read as it does connect with us, but ... comparing Twilight with a classical sophisticated series of poems like from Rosetti or Dickinson doesn't really compare as it is mostly in 1 perspective and there is barely any depth. The story isn't baised around a plot or structure (except for breaking dawn but still) its character based which makes these texts different from the others and believe me... its too hard to compare.. o__O

N

Nicola1616

Anyone who wants to do Twilight but is terrified by all this crap about 'intelligent' texts can email me if they want and I'll help you. The rest of you are presumably doing Proust so have fun with that.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
It's just bias.
Just like you can do a song, but noone does because most lyrics have a somewhat shallow meaning.

English teachers generally think that if someone is going to do Twilight as a related text, they are idiots. Because it is contemporary literature, and you're supposed to show SOME kind of literary knowledge.

Do something obscure. Do poetry. Do a speech. Do a documentary.

Just don't do Twilight.

TheSaviour

HSC
i personally think that twilight will be a bad idea cuz teachers might see u as being lazy and not reading the big and difficult texts around. It is like doing ur essay on harry potter or ugly duckling- very very bad idea.

actually my teachers used the ugly ducking for belonging , it has alot of belonging themes through out the story and who cares if they think your lazy , the teacher marks your work and how well your able to put forward on idea and as long as you can support whatever your saying then youll be ok. enlgish is one of those subjects where as long as you can provide evidence to support what your saying you will do good , because theres no right or wrong answers.

sitara93

HSC
Would somebody be able to explaiin to me WHY twilight is bad for belonging?
And is it true to pick a more Sophisticated text say like.."Titanic" to pull you extra marks for your HSC?

Personally i think Twilight would be great to do for belonging, Edward & Bella belong in so many ways, just not as one but as individuals, also it fits into the interest area of the person whos doing it, like our certain age group, i advise if you really are interested in something, it is definetly possible to go in depth with it.
There is so much to explore in Twilight for belonging, especially with Techniques which can be backed up by Quotes.. It can't really be that hard? If you really know what you are talking about?

Right? :angel:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)