Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Q7) (B)
RC= Academy Award
RC= < $20 million
(some) SS=> $20 million

Not (A) because a SS movie may star RC, and anything starring RC will win an AA.
Not (C). The second part of the first sentence is explicit in contradicting this statement.
Not (D). The first part of the first sentence explains why not, also.
Therefore, (B); nothing in the passage disproves this statement.

Q8) I too was divided between (B) & (C)
But I choose (C) to be the most correct.

Here are my reasons: We can't just assume that he has started physio with her yet, nor can we assume that '...no longer needs her help' means that he has already received help; 'no longer' can mean you reject the help being offered, like in class and you ask someone for help and they are busy at that moment and then you realise the answer yourself, then you could reply, 'I no longer need your help'; you haven't received the assistance though. The passage mearly states that she was on rounds and that he needed to daily exercises to recover. It doesn't say that he had done the exercises and that they were painful, it says the physio exercises are painful (general statement, also, not in past tense).
He could have been sitting in hospital for several weeks waiting to seek her assistance in physio and that one day she got to him on rounds he finally gave in; in the mean-time he may have developed depression waiting for her and developed this frame of mind that he 'will never play again'- his career is over, and in turn become depressed from long waiting period for the physio therapy he sought for recovery, seeing no progression by himself. .. his solemn waiting may have been the ignition source for the depression, a depression that would cause such negative talk of 'no longer needing her help'. (C).

I'm probably wrong, but that's how I see it. From House you learn never to assume what something has/is causing but rather what could be the cause of the complication...
Lol I think you are thinking too much into it. Personally, I don't think that is the right approach to section 2. It's more about reading a passage and empathising. Not saying that ur wrong in saying the answer is C.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh, I think the UMAT is just an elaborate scam to make money for both ACER and all the tutoring centres which run over-priced programs. Generally speaking the smart kids who will end up getting the high UMAT scores will also get high ATARs but go to the prep courses because of their parents and a false cause and effect relationship is created making everyone think that paying $1000 will ensure success. I really think the best way to assess would be it to set a stricter interview process with similar ATARs to now.
Very true. The UMAT is an incredible market. Though there needs to be an intermediate exam to assess the applicants social intelligence apart from the arduous interview. The UMAT is partly good because it was designed for this purpose.

Please reply ASAP if u r interested in doing the Medentry group discount package course for UMAT training - see their website for details.
Sorry, I think I'm okay.

7-B
For option A there is no mention of the relation between Spielberg's movies and academy awards just box office stats. For option C the text has ruled out any possibility of movies starring Crowe getting more then $20 million in ticket sales (but no movie starring Russel Crowe will ever earn more than $20). In the text option D is ruled out as it says, 'Any movie starring Russel Crowe will win an Academy Award'. Hence option B is most viable as it says SOME movies may star crowe and be directed by spielberg, as it says in the text only some movies by spielberg make more then $20 million, thus meeting the condition for Crowe which states that any movie he stars in cannot make more than $20 million in sales.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit too incoherent

will post my attempt of question 8 a bit later
It is readable, I suggest trying to have a more explicit 'cause and effect' style of answer e.g. There is no direct correlation between Spielberg's movies and academy awards hence A is incorrect.

agreed.
for q7 - venn diagrams ftw.
Do you think you could draw it up and post it for everyone to see?

I think "depressed" is too strong a word and frustrated is more suitable.
Also, I think the fact that his reaction seems sudden - "One day" shows that its more a frustrated, circumstantial reaction rather than depression which to me is associated with an extended period of time/chronic illness.
"One day he tells her that his knee is not gettingbetter, so there is no point putting himself through the pain and effort of the exercises."
If he were depressed, it would be more likely that he show less enthusiasm and more of a gradual decrease in effort rather than suddenly one day giving up.
Both of you are correct, depression is a chronic disease.

7) B

8) C (could be B though), but I don't believe that frustration would lead to quitting, let alone in such a polite manner. If he was frustrated he probably would of taken it out on the physio. Being depressed however makes him passive and thus why he wasn't rude or anything to the physio and his tone has a sense of "hopelessness".
You are one of the nicest frustrated person I have ever seen.

Q7) (B)
RC= Academy Award
RC= < $20 million
(some) SS=> $20 million

Not (A) because a SS movie may star RC, and anything starring RC will win an AA.
Not (C). The second part of the first sentence is explicit in contradicting this statement.
Not (D). The first part of the first sentence explains why not, also.
Therefore, (B); nothing in the passage disproves this statement.

Q8) I too was divided between (B) & (C)
But I choose (C) to be the most correct.

Good layout, direct and concise. Keep it up =D

Here are my reasons: We can't just assume that he has started physio with her yet, nor can we assume that '...no longer needs her help' means that he has already received help; 'no longer' can mean you reject the help being offered, like in class and you ask someone for help and they are busy at that moment and then you realise the answer yourself, then you could reply, 'I no longer need your help'; you haven't received the assistance though. The passage mearly states that she was on rounds and that he needed to daily exercises to recover. It doesn't say that he had done the exercises and that they were painful, it says the physio exercises are painful (general statement, also, not in past tense).
He could have been sitting in hospital for several weeks waiting to seek her assistance in physio and that one day she got to him on rounds he finally gave in; in the mean-time he may have developed depression waiting for her and developed this frame of mind that he 'will never play again'- his career is over, and in turn become depressed from long waiting period for the physio therapy he sought for recovery, seeing no progression by himself. .. his solemn waiting may have been the ignition source for the depression, a depression that would cause such negative talk of 'no longer needing her help'. (C).

I'm probably wrong, but that's how I see it. From House you learn never to assume what something has/is causing but rather what could be the cause of the complication...
It is very good that you are thinking and actually identifying flaws in the passage and potential places where you can be tricked. However, compared to your extensive analysis, this question is quite simple. With the majority of UMAT questions you only need to look at their choice of words to identify the answer. Failing that, then you can look deeper into the text. Good effort though.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Answers

Because some movies directed by Steven Spielberg earn less than $20 million in ticket sales, and Russel Crowe only stars in movies that earn less than $20 million, some movies directed by him may star Russell Crowe. Choice A is incorrect because there is no link between Spielberg and Academy Awards. Choices C and D directly contradict the first sentence, so they are incorrect.

It is clear from the scenario that the patient is frustrated that his knee is not getting better, and he feels he will not be able to play again. Option A is a secondary concern. Option C may not be true; he may be able to recover, but feels this is not possible because his knee is not responding to treatment. Option D cannot be inferred from the scenario.

Questions

Question 9

A Roman poet wrote, 'It is sweet and noble to die for one's country'. It is hard to see how any sensation of sweetness could be involved in the experience of dying in battle, in excruciating pain, in a muddy ditch miles from home and family. Therefore, we may doubt that nobility is in the act of dying itself.

Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

a) It is the consequence of the act of dying in defence of one's country that is important, not that act of dying itself.

b) The political and military objectives may not be evident to each individual soldier.

c) The consequences of war have changed little since ancient times.

d) Dying in defence of one's country is an action that may or may not be noble depending on whether the cause of the war is just.

Question 10

Doctor: Your recent tests were negative and everything looks normal. You will put on some weight as the pregnancy progresses, so you shouldn't be too worried about that. Have you managed to stop smoking?

Patient: You don't know how hard it is, doctor. I feel anxious and irritated, and uncomfortable about the pregnancy. I don't like what it's doing to my body and my mood. My husband doesn't offer much support.

Which of the following is the patient's main concern?

a) That she is unable to quit smoking

b) That she is putting on weight

c) That the pregnancy is affecting her in a negative way

d) That her husband is unsupportive.

Last edited:

mike12345678

HSC
question 9- A

'Therefore, we may doubt that nobility is in the act of dying itself.'

question 10 C

I don't like what it's doing to my body and my mood.

sandradoo0

HSC
N/A
If you didn't make it into Medicine or Dentistry this year, my advise is to get a UMAT tuition from www.umataustralia.com.au
Their tutors are actual accredit teachers by the department of Education and Training. They sit UMAT every year and they know what to teach you. They are the only company that provide a professional preparation. Good luck

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
If you didn't make it into Medicine or Dentistry this year, my advise is to get a UMAT tuition from www.umataustralia.com.au
Their tutors are actual accredit teachers by the department of Education and Training. They sit UMAT every year and they know what to teach you. They are the only company that provide a professional preparation. Good luck
ban dis guy

spamming every thread

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Answers

The writer draws a distinction between the simple fact of death, which s/he argues can in no way be pleasant, and the result accomplished by that act. This is summarised in (A). Options B, C and D may be correct, but cannot be determined from the passage.

All of the answers are possible, but the patient’s main concern appears to be that the pregnancy is affecting her negatively, both physically and psychologically. Her inability to quit smoking (option A) appears to concern the doctor more than it does her. Although the doctor mentions the issue of weight, and the patient alludes to it (‘I don’t like what it’s doing to my body’), it is not accurate to say this is the patient’s main concern (option B). Option D is not the best answer for a similar reason. Option C sums up the patient’s concerns accurately. The patient states that she feels ‘anxious and irritated’ and ‘uncomfortable’ about the pregnancy, and does not like the effect it is having on her body. Thus option C is the best answer.

Questions

Question 11

Brand A washing powder claims to be the best washing powder available because it cleans clothes faster than Brand B and it prevents colours running, unlike Brand B.

If Brand A's claim is true, then which of the following can be properly concluded?

a) Brand B is much cheaper than Brand A

b) Brand B is better than any of the other competing brands that were not mentioned in the advertisement

c) Brand A and Brand B combined sell more bottles than all other brands combined

d) Brand A probably sells more bottles than Brand B

Question 12

Mr Lindsay Roe went to see his local GP about the general tiredness he has been experiencing. On examination, she found a lump in his lower abdomen. There is a possibility that it could be cancerous.

Doctor: Mr Roe, we need to run some tests to find out what is wrong.

Mr Roe: I know what you think it is, doctor, but you're wrong. My brother is a doctor and he also said I might have cancer. But I know I don't.

Mr Roe finally agreed to the tests, which showed that he had cancer.

Doctor: Mr Roe, you have cancer.

The doctor's comment, 'Mr Roe, you have cancer', can best be described as:

a) Appropriate, since the doctor is telling the truth in a direct way

b) Inappropriate, because it displays no empathy

c) Appropriate, because it leaves less room for Mr Roe to disagree

d) Inappropriate, because it is phrased harshly

Sorry for the late reply, I hope you can understand.

MW4521

HSC
N/A
Answers

The writer draws a distinction between the simple fact of death, which s/he argues can in no way be pleasant, and the result accomplished by that act. This is summarised in (A). Options B, C and D may be correct, but cannot be determined from the passage.

All of the answers are possible, but the patient’s main concern appears to be that the pregnancy is affecting her negatively, both physically and psychologically. Her inability to quit smoking (option A) appears to concern the doctor more than it does her. Although the doctor mentions the issue of weight, and the patient alludes to it (‘I don’t like what it’s doing to my body’), it is not accurate to say this is the patient’s main concern (option B). Option D is not the best answer for a similar reason. Option C sums up the patient’s concerns accurately. The patient states that she feels ‘anxious and irritated’ and ‘uncomfortable’ about the pregnancy, and does not like the effect it is having on her body. Thus option C is the best answer.

Questions

Question 11

Brand A washing powder claims to be the best washing powder available because it cleans clothes faster than Brand B and it prevents colours running, unlike Brand B.

If Brand A's claim is true, then which of the following can be properly concluded?

a) Brand B is much cheaper than Brand A

b) Brand B is better than any of the other competing brands that were not mentioned in the advertisement

c) Brand A and Brand B combined sell more bottles than all other brands combined

d) Brand A probably sells more bottles than Brand B

Question 12

Mr Lindsay Roe went to see his local GP about the general tiredness he has been experiencing. On examination, she found a lump in his lower abdomen. There is a possibility that it could be cancerous.

Doctor: Mr Roe, we need to run some tests to find out what is wrong.

Mr Roe: I know what you think it is, doctor, but you're wrong. My brother is a doctor and he also said I might have cancer. But I know I don't.

Mr Roe finally agreed to the tests, which showed that he had cancer.

Doctor: Mr Roe, you have cancer.

The doctor's comment, 'Mr Roe, you have cancer', can best be described as:

a) Appropriate, since the doctor is telling the truth in a direct way

b) Inappropriate, because it displays no empathy

c) Appropriate, because it leaves less room for Mr Roe to disagree

d) Inappropriate, because it is phrased harshly

Sorry for the late reply, I hope you can understand.
11. D
12. A

not too sure about these :| i never have a definate answer when doing umat questions -_-

mike12345678

HSC
question 11 - A

due to my business studies background i would have to say that they are using a premium pricing strategy so charging a high price for 'higher quality'

question 12- D

the way the doctor said it would just give of the fact that it is phrased harshly. the doctor has to tell the patient that he has cancer but couldve reworded it to sound more sympathetic. something like:
' im sorry Mr Roe, the tests results have come in and unfortunately give a positive reading to cancerous cells'. or something like that.

Last edited:

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Q11. B
I seriously don't see why other people are saying D and A and so on... The only thing that can be properly concluded is B.

Q12. A

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
11. D
12. A

not too sure about these :| i never have a definate answer when doing umat questions -_-
Thank you for your answer but next time please don't quote my whole message.

Dylanamali

HSC
11. D
12. A

I agree,

B then A..

but q12 is definitely a tricky one =/

edit: after reviewing it again, study-freak is defs right.. 11 is B.

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC
11)C
12)B
Thats what I thought of it anyway. For 11 it would be close between B and C id say. Not too sure about 12...

Ryan_T90

HSC
11 - B
12 - A.

For question 11 I went with B. I say this because Brand A claims to be the "best washing powder available". Because of this, if it is the best washing powder available then to justify this claim they would have to compare their washing powder to the next best washing powder available to take the title as the best. Now that Brand A has taken the title as the best, Brand B would be runner up and be better than the other washing powder brands available.

Although for question 12, I was tossing up between both A and B. I thought maybe B because Mr. Roe originally lacked the convincing earlier from his brother. That made him seek help from another doctor and because of this, being empathetic might have helped in this case. However, in saying that, because Mr. Roe had questioned his brother, a doctor, it might have been an eye opener to Mr. Roe that he did actually have cancer following the doctors direct, truthful comment considering this is the second time he has heard this news.

I'm not too sure. I am new to this, don't hate!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)