Typing vs writing notes (1 Viewer)

marlow415

HSC
N/A
Just wondering what your opinions are on typing notes, is it less efficient in terms of memory? better? the same? 25 pages later for biology my hand is killing me and I know heaps of people who type notes, but I just figured it wasn't as effective in terms of memory and stuff so even though i can type fast I've never done it.

So yeah, what do you guys think about it?

bleakarcher

HSC
you just figured out it isn't as efficient in terms of memory huh marlow?

btw, the scorpions suck.

Anonym0us

HSC
Writing it out is much better, in terms of understanding it...but that may just be me

planino

HSC
I type my notes, but writing them out is really good for your hand. However typing gives you the flexibility of easily editing your notes, whether they be big or small changes.
Plus, my handwriting is less than satisfactory so it's probably easier on my eyes if I read times new roman/calibri rather than my own disgusting font. Different things work for different people but typing them out really helps with editing

HSC
I prefer typing, it's faster and easier to change stuff, add things in between, make tables, change layouts, font, boldness, colours and doing other random stuff to my notes. But I guess you can always type up your handwritten notes afterwards.

Ever since year 7, I neglected writing so much that I think I'm screwed for the HSC :(

nightweaver066

HSC
I prefer typing, it's faster and easier to change stuff, add things in between, make tables, change layouts, font, boldness, colours and doing other random stuff to my notes.
Agreed. Exactly why i do it.

marlow415

HSC
N/A
I agree with the editing and speed and everything but what about in terms of your memory? Maybe its just me but if I hand write something out it does take longer but it tends to stick in my memory more though I havent actually done proper notes before thats why I'm asking I guess :p

nightweaver066

HSC
I agree with the editing and speed and everything but what about in terms of your memory? Maybe its just me but if I hand write something out it does take longer but it tends to stick in my memory more though I havent actually done proper notes before thats why I'm asking I guess :p
What i do is type up my notes, read over them and answer questions.

HSC
I guess you can always do both, type notes and then handwrite them, or vice versa. Experiment and try out whatever that works best for you, preferable before year 12! :)

marlow415

HSC
N/A
What i do is type up my notes, read over them and answer questions.
Yeah i'm doing the same at the moment for biology but I hand wrote them.. Maybe i should just type them then I've just always assumed hand writing would be better

Magical Kebab

HSC
Typing. It's easier to revisit and strengthen ur notes, u can edit them easily, do neat graphs, insert photos etc.
Typing for sure.

Good luck.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I type for most of my notes, although there are a few occasions where I write up my notes. This occurs generally in science where I draw up diagrams. I also draw up a lot of mind maps for subjects when I'm studying. You can say I use both writing and typing when creating notes.

enoilgam

HSC
I typed my notes - I found it easier to format, add stuff in etc. Also, it was more organised which made it easier to learn. However, this is really a personal preference thing - I know many people would disagree with me on this one.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Didn't really waste time with notes for my HSC, there were already so much out there. I used the saved time to write exam responses and had them checked against marking criteria.

If I had to choose, I'd pick writing notes over typing them =]

qianjixin

HSC
I find it really depends on which subjects I'm writing notes for. For content heavy writing subjects I type because it's a lot easier and faster to revise (unless you have perfect handwriting, which I don't :smile: ). But for Physics and Maths I just write because in those subjects its more important to have a deep understanding of the concepts

superSAIyan2

HSC
Well i prefer to hand write my notes, even though its obviously slower. I think that writing out notes is better for memorising and it gives you a better idea on how much you're writing. E.g. if you include a 4mark question in your notes for practice you would know how much you would be writing in an exam if the same or similar question was asked.

Also i hate looking at typed notes; i dont really feel like i learn anything by typing stuff. It looks plain and makes you look like you've done less work. But thats just my opinion.

nightweaver066

HSC
Well i prefer to hand write my notes, even though its obviously slower. I think that writing out notes is better for memorising and it gives you a better idea on how much you're writing. E.g. if you include a 4mark question in your notes for practice you would know how much you would be writing in an exam if the same or similar question was asked.

Also i hate looking at typed notes; i dont really feel like i learn anything by typing stuff. It looks plain and makes you look like you've done less work. But thats just my opinion.
You're obviously forgetting pictures + colour + different font styles + diagrams.

superSAIyan2

HSC
You're obviously forgetting pictures + colour + different font styles + diagrams.
I dont really use/need pictures for mynotes. And diagrams can be done by hand. How else would you do it in an exam. As for colour you can use different colour pens. And whats the point of changing font style.

Besides this is just a matter of opinion. Everyone has their own style of learning and besides in the end it doesnt matter if you have typed or written notes. Its the marks yo get with that notes isnt it.

marshmallow23

HSC
N/A
I think it's personal preference. For me, I usually like writing my notes. That way, I can practice my handwriting (speed as well LOL) and the information sinks in my mind. Sometimes, I type things and I don't even know what I'm typing. But then again, sometimes I get lazy and start typing haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)