Uni students pay dearly for cutbacks (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by xanthanotus
why doesnt the government remove the dole and then put that money into the education system and health system...its not like half of those lazy fuckers couldnt get off their arse and get a job?
well, what if ur seriously out of a job, such as those ansett airlines employees.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah a lot of people genuinely need the dole. fuck, i know my parents would rather pay twice as much tax if it was all going towards welfare, health, etc and not increasing australia's military power :rolleyes:

Generator

HSC
N/A
It isn't that big when uai entrance ranks are much higher than they should be. It may be big in terms of ranking between students, but in terms of who can actually succeed in the degree there is no difference at all.

happy_smirk

I hate this new idea of the govenment it is soo short sighted, I want to be a vet and there was only 45 spots in it to begin with(only 4 unis is Australia do it as well) there arent enough spots left to take away

xanthanotus

HSC
im not saying that some people dont deserve the dole, but maybe the money that is put into the dole would be better spent re-training these people to work in hospitals etc.....it would be nice to have a government that could for once use its brain!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
im not saying that some people dont deserve the dole, but maybe the money that is put into the dole would be better spent re-training these people to work in hospitals etc.....it would be nice to have a government that could for once use its brain!
yeah,as my teacher was telling me, why don't we just give these dole guys a job in like city rail or somethin'....so the government can pay wages instead of the dole.:)

aps

Johnny didn't pay for his tertiary ed. Either did most of the present government. How much more will the gov. stuff up before the australian public speak out. Selling off national assets (telstra), creating a two tiered system (seems to be the norm with this ultra cons. lib party) and now screwing around with medicare. Social welfare is going down the drain in this country. I think ill move to canada.

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's the dole. A new name will never change that.

maniacguy

Ironically, the name 'dole' is most likely a relic from the days of politician Bob Dole in the good ol' US of A, who became forever attached to this form of welfare :D

Kittycat

HSC
Why can't the Government spend more money on Education and health care (which we all need!)
Now I am totally unsure whether or not I will make it in!
& aps, I don't think you are the only one that wants to move to canada! I wanted to get my ass over there for ages and if I can go now, I would!

Last edited:

alyce

If it is gonna be any harder, i will never get in! unfortuately i keep hearing that the scores for getting in are going to skyrocket. Why must we have to deal with this?!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!so frustrating!

ruella

Originally posted by happy_smirk
I hate this new idea of the govenment it is soo short sighted, I want to be a vet and there was only 45 spots in it to begin with(only 4 unis is Australia do it as well) there arent enough spots left to take away
yeah, me too - although i dont' think they'll be taking away spots, i think the uai entrance scores will just increase slightly...so the uai for vet's been decreasing over the past three years - i think it'll go up this year - which is not good news for me!! :S

Originally posted by aps
Johnny didn't pay for his tertiary ed. Either did most of the present government. How much more will the gov. stuff up before the australian public speak out.
obviously much more - considering he's been voted in for three fucking terms already...but just think, next election, we'll get to vote :D. although your vote won't really make much of a difference, unless you're in a swinging electorate...unlike me... :S :(
however, i'm sure he appreciates his free law degree (i don't think he could've afforded paying fees), but obviously not enough to want to grant all australians the same right

sad really...

Ribbon

This statement is uninformed - once you've been on the dole for a certain amount of time the government forces you to go to training seminars on interview techniques, how to get a job ect. and forces you to do unpaid work experience, or else they cut you off. This system does work, for the majority of people who would rather be working. It doesn't work (and no system ever will) for people who want to laze around on the dole for the rest of thier lives.

A testament to this: My b/f was on the dole for 6 months after dropping out in year 11, but, despite applying for everything and sending out heaps of canvasing letters he couldn't get a job. Centrelink made him do a weeks unpaid work experience at a business of his choice, and the great reference he got from this got him the next traineeship he applied for. Now hes finished that traineeship and hes been put on as a fulltime, fully paid worker (its very rare for a business to hire a trainee at full wage after they finish thier traineeship!) - hes paying enough taxes to pay back what he got on the dole in 6 months - a year :rolleyes:

I think the dole system works fine, although I do agree more should be done about dole cheats and the lazy buggers that just WONT get a job (like, you have to report that you applied to a certain amount of businesses for a job each fortnight, and everyone just makes them up out of the phonebook, centrelink never checks). As for the people that think we should kick everyone off the dole - look at america, one of the richest countries in the world but because of the lack of a social security and public healthcare there are people straving in thier streets and dying of curable medical conditions.

=> Unrelated comment about america - They should look after thier own citizens before they go barging into the affairs of other countries.... state soverignity? pfft! :rolleyes:

adamj

Re: Stuff dat

Originally posted by D_E_A
Fuckin government. those dumbass cant tell the diffrerence between their heads and their asses and all they can do is to cut us students off....seriously...FUCK THOSE FUCKERS :chainsaw:
It is perhaps better to string together a more sophisticated argument rather than "dumbasses". The cuts will cause concern, not doubt about it, having said that, not all careers are fulfilled at Universities, nor should there be a continual burden for students to go to university - TAFE for example provides some great alternatives with more practicality to some extent.

I believe there should be more Private Universities, they can run their own deferred payment system as well, but what we need to do is the releave the pressure from unis. UAIs in my opinion aren't truly representational of a course's content, when law for example is 99.6 at USyd and 80 in New England.

adamj

Originally posted by ruella
yeah, me too - although i dont' think they'll be taking away spots, i think the uai entrance scores will just increase slightly...so the uai for vet's been decreasing over the past three years - i think it'll go up this year - which is not good news for me!! :S

obviously much more - considering he's been voted in for three fucking terms already...but just think, next election, we'll get to vote :D. although your vote won't really make much of a difference, unless you're in a swinging electorate...unlike me... :S :(
however, i'm sure he appreciates his free law degree (i don't think he could've afforded paying fees), but obviously not enough to want to grant all australians the same right

sad really...
Yes, after all it was Labor that introduced University Fees. What we have here is a strain, a Government that opens up an avenue of revenue means more funding available, when these avenues are being closed becuase of the strain, we jump, but do remember the money poured into the Government sector.

adamj

Originally posted by melbournian
Um, and you think that you will get the right to 'free education' under the ALP. The ALP's alternative does not suggest having 'free education'. Having free education is not sustainable at all, as good as it socially would be if it could be sustained.
Well you are right, it would be great, but it is not feasible, economically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)