Union Board Election 2010 (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think her campaign seems quite elitist. she's mainly targetting law students, her stall is on the law lawns and her slogan "a candidate of callibre"??? CMON!
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that most of the stalls were on the law lawns area ish.

canterbury434

HSC
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that most of the stalls were on the law lawns area ish.
today I spoke with one of james flynn's candidates and he told me that she was trying to be 'the law candidate' and she keeps talking about how shes an independant but her campaign is actually being run by another union board member called Rossi or something... so all that independence talk isnt actually true. im a first yr though so i'm not that sure about student politics at usyd yet

Scorch

HSC
Which candidate is the absolute moron that wants to introduce a religion officer to the union or some such idiotic bullshit?

izzy88

HSC
today I spoke with one of james flynn's candidates and he told me that she was trying to be 'the law candidate' and she keeps talking about how shes an independant but her campaign is actually being run by another union board member called Rossi or something... so all that independence talk isnt actually true. im a first yr though so i'm not that sure about student politics at usyd yet
by 'independent' they generally mean they are not affiliated with any political group on campus (ie. NLS, labour, liberal etc). However, these are sometimes applied very loosely.

Georgia Rossi is an a current board director, and she also ran as an independent. Her campaign was also very centered on being the 'law' candidate, and in the end it worked very well. Candidates don't need to be appealing to a mass audience to get on board, they just need to get one section of campus on their side, and get that section to actually bother to vote, and it can be enough.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just wondering, anyone know who's affiliated with whom? [Political parties etc]

canterbury434

HSC
oh ok... i thought independent just meant youre running your own show but its just political links.

either way im not really convinced, i couldnt really see the passion behind sibella's campaign. She seemed nice in the lecture but i couldnt really see her passion for the union. Viv, Deb and Ben all gave really passionate speeches about what they wanted changed about the union and why they loved student life but I felt that Sibella was just running for the CV or something.

also alistair has the best posters around!

melanieeee.

HSC
i think james flynn will get in. he's got almost everyone covered -
1. EU (heaps of people in EU)
2. liberals
3. commerce students (he does com (lib) he must have friends in arts and sci as well)
4. college students
5. students without access cards

canterbury434

HSC
I think he'll get on too... shame though he's a crazy right wing religious fanatic

all the female candidates this year are pretty hot!

bio_nut

HSC
i think james flynn will get in. he's got almost everyone covered -
1. EU (heaps of people in EU)
2. liberals
3. commerce students (he does com (lib) he must have friends in arts and sci as well)
4. college students
5. students without access cards
Is Flynn a college kid, I can't keep up anymore?

I'm a liberal supporter and a college student, but I sure as fuck aren't voting for him.

melanieeee.

HSC
Is Flynn a college kid, I can't keep up anymore?

I'm a liberal supporter and a college student, but I sure as fuck aren't voting for him.
idk but this is what is written in his policies

"-- ACCESS CARD COLLEGE CHOICE --

College Students are compulsory Access Card holders, but most of their meals and needs are met at college. We need to INCREASE THE VALUE OF ACCESS CARDS FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS, providing more funding to their college societies and college specific needs.

College students need CHOICE ABOUT ACCESS CARDS. Alongside choice, they need better representation within the USU. I believe the current Inter-College Committee should advise the USU Board about their needs, giving college students a clear voice."

P.S. USU Candidate Soapbox is on tomorrow from 1-2:30PM @ Manning
Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

bio_nut

HSC

College Students are compulsory Access Card holders, but most of their meals and needs are met at college. We need to INCREASE THE VALUE OF ACCESS CARDS FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS, providing more funding to their college societies and college specific needs.

College students need CHOICE ABOUT ACCESS CARDS. Alongside choice, they need better representation within the USU. I believe the current Inter-College Committee should advise the USU Board about their needs, giving college students a clear voice."

Oh that. Yeah, no one at college really gives a fuck about access cards, half of them had to be forced to pick theirs up, as it means we get funding for the union for intercollegiate events. It comes straight out of our fees, on which there was no increase to accommodate this, and most people's parents are paying the fees anyway, lol.

The union put on so much fancy stuff for us during o week, it was awesome, ahaha

izzy88

HSC

yeah i don't think the access cards are a big issue for the majority of college kids... well apart from the boys at pauls who somehow feel that the union making them have access cards devalues their entire existence. But I don't see anyone complaining about the fact that all the colleges have compulsory membership of the sports union...and most of the arguments against having access cards can be applied to the sports union membership as well.

I'm not sure if there really is one person that is going to get the colleges voting this year...massarani just isn't nice, and half the other candidates aren't bothering with having any kind of policy targeting college students.
The only reason the majority of college students might vote is because there is now a polling booth in bosch, which is a less than 1 minute walk from most of the colleges...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Not a statistically reliable sample, but the results look plausible.

[source]

melanieeee.

HSC
"not a reliable sample, but the results look plausible"

what the fuck does that even mean?
out of the 1600 questionaires sent out to members of politics soceities 69 responses were recieved. its important to recognise that this is not a true representation of the uni population as people who return these surveys usually have set agendas where a lot of people will vote just to support a friend. when rafy said the results look plausible he means his perception is that it doesn't look that far off from what might occur during election.

did you guys read some of the responses? i found hiltin's the funniest:
"so, what’s the point a pubic name called ’ Polly Board’ utilizing biased data resource to show a socalled ‘results’??? This is rude to IS! And this makes some of us thinking about some one is there pretending a justice by giving unjusticed search! As this gonna definitely give voters wrong information!!"

Last edited:

canterbury434

HSC
Is Sibella mathews gonna change somefin
What do u guys think of her? Because she seemed nice enough in lecture talks but I heard her speak with one of her campaigners at Parma and she was REALLY bitchy! Gossiping about other candidates, laughing at Hiltin's accent and talking about how "only cool people" should wear her shirts to keep up an image. It really made me wonder how fake people can be especially for votes.

I'll probably be voting for Peter Hong - he approached me today and we had a great conversation. I can tell he's a genuine person unlike some other candidates *cough* Sibella *cough*

p.s. how biased is that Polly Board?

bio_nut

HSC
What do u guys think of her? Because she seemed nice enough in lecture talks but I heard her speak with one of her campaigners at Parma and she was REALLY bitchy! Gossiping about other candidates, laughing at Hiltin's accent and talking about how "only cool people" should wear her shirts to keep up an image. It really made me wonder how fake people can be especially for votes.

I'll probably be voting for Peter Hong - he approached me today and we had a great conversation. I can tell he's a genuine person unlike some other candidates *cough* Sibella *cough*

p.s. how biased is that Polly Board?
You support the idea of LOTE on our signs for international students, wtf?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)