Union clubs and the like (1 Viewer)

erin_tonkin

HSC
how many clubs are in the union or part of the university.
Is there a musical society?
theatre?
orchestra?
sporting teams?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
There won't be any next year if the anti-VSU people's scare tactics ring true. Then again, they're all imbeciles.

fidel_castro

HSC
erin_tonkin said:
theatre?
orchestra?
sporting teams?
I resent that you said that. The union does not own the clubs at unsw. In fact, UNSW is only one of a very few universities where the student organisation runs the clubs department. And unfortunately, that's probably one of the only cool things about unsw.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Well, every university tends to have alot of clubs, as stated before our Student representation runs all of them.

If you had the chance, I think at the Courses + Careers Day some clubs did set up their stalls along the University mall walk?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
havent joined any of the vclubs and i dont intend to
maybe if i dont get a transfer to UTS, then i will decide then whether to join any clubs
gosh i remember my friend telling me there was a mahjong club, but it had to be closed down coz it promoted gambling???

G

Gavvvvvin

I think there should be a white persons club, seeing as how every other "minority" coughmajoritycough has one.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
I think there should be a white persons club, seeing as how every other "minority" coughmajoritycough has one.
Ah, don't you remember? It has to be based around the nationality, not a skin colour. For instance, there's no society for Asians, it has to be for a particular nationality. I was accused of racism last time I suggested that, although it puzzles me how that could be racist, seeing as it's based on colour. Meh.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
How come you have Gough in your av despite obviously holding quite right wing views?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
How come you have Gough in your av despite obviously holding quite right wing views?
There's nothing right wing, or left wing about VSU. It's not tax, because it's not useful. It's not helping anyone, and it's vastly impractical. It's simply a stigma that douchebags attach to VSU to scare people that don't have a freaking brain.

But yes, well done, because I hold a particular view about something that has about as much importance as the colour of my socks, that makes me right wing. Good job.

Affinity

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
There's nothing right wing, or left wing about VSU. ... it's not useful. It's not helping anyone, and it's vastly impractical.
I think the Liberal party won't be happy about that :p

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Ski club yo

chanlord

HSC
erin_tonkin said:
theatre?
orchestra?
sporting teams?
Hey Erin,

There are over 100 clubs at UNSW and they are currently affiliated with the UNSW Student Guild. You can find a complete listing and contact details for the clubs here. They generally cover a wide range of interests so you'd probably find a club right for you ;)

However, next year the clubs and societies (which run's out of the Guild's CASOC department) will be integrated into a new student organisation which will be merged with the Union (known as the Source), Student Guild, COFA Students Association and the Postgraduate Board. This is so the student organisation can continue to provide services to students in a VSU environment and while some services such as most of the food outlets will be handed over to the university to manage, a lot of programs are still being run by the student organisation such as Orientation Week.

And for your clubs of interest check out these:
erin_tonkin said:
There is currently no over-arching musical society on campus (however there is a Chinese Christian Drama and Music Club). The theatrical society does usually have one or two musicals staged throughout the year. Last year they staged Little Shop of Horrors and this year they did The Last 5 Years
erin_tonkin said:
Like I said, there is a theatre society on campus known as NUTS (the New South Wales University Theatrical Society). Their website can be found here. They stage about a dozen shows each year ranging from musicals, to shakespeare and student written productions. There are forums on their website so feel free to ask more questions there.
erin_tonkin said:
orchestra?
The Society of Orchestra and Pipers (SOAP). I believe they have links with the UNSW Orchestra but I'm not sure what. You can email djw_meoli@hotmail.com and I believe they can help you with any questions.
erin_tonkin said:
sporting teams?
UNSW Sports Association. They fund all the sporting clubs and sports events at UNSW. If you're interested in sport, they can help you. It's not just competitive sport. One of their largest clubs is the Underwater Club which does Scuba Diving.

I hope that answered your questions and if you have any further questions about UNSW and campus life, you can visit the O-Week website for UNSW. There is currently a forum where you can pose questions and student volunteers will try to answer your questions as best as possible. http://oweek.info/forums

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
There's nothing right wing, or left wing about VSU. It's not tax, because it's not useful. It's not helping anyone, and it's vastly impractical. It's simply a stigma that douchebags attach to VSU to scare people that don't have a freaking brain.

But yes, well done, because I hold a particular view about something that has about as much importance as the colour of my socks, that makes me right wing. Good job.
Gough would be anti-VSU. Ergo, he's an imbecile.

Ergo, pime taradox.

kirstin hunter

HSC
politik said:
There will be no 'Source' or 'Union' next year. UNSW will be the first University to remove the student union with a for-profit conglomerate-of-sorts on campus. The new organisation will be an amalgamation of the Guild and Source.
I think you'll find the new organisation will be not-for-profit, and will focus heavily on the student activities side of things rather than the food and retail aspect (which I assume is why you think it will be for-profit). The organisations have amalgamated to save money in staff and services that double up, and the University is going to be supporting the new organisation financially and through access to space and buildings and the like.

All in all it will be a pretty good outcome, UNSW will be heaps better off than other Uni's (by the sound of it), and for most students there won't really be much of a difference to the services or activities that they can get involved in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)