UNSW 2016S1 Results Thread (1 Viewer)

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
My understanding of decimal points. First get your inferred semester wam by using your old wam and new one and weighting it by units of credit. Once you have the inferred wam, you can maybe use it to see how many subjects were used in it's calculation. If inferred wam is a whole number (could be 1,2,3 or 4) subjects. If inferred wam ends with .5 (could be 2 subjects most likely ) if ends with thirds most likely three or if ends with eights, must be 4 subjects. Pretty sure, but this in the inferred wam not the total wam
mfw my wam ends in .857

HSC
Or .75? :eek:

Both first-year students btw
Good question. Well two subjects can't make a .25 or .75, if results of three subjects can average to something ending with.25 then it can be 3 or4 (4 definitely can) just haven't spent time on it to figure it out. So I imagine that's three or four

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Is that total wam showing or the wam you inferred for the semester ? Don't see how 4 and under amount of subjects can average to something ending with .857
pretty sure its total, dont think it shows ur semester wam until the transcript

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
That's true but you can work out what the semester wam must have been to change it from the original wam to the new total wam shown.
ahh i see what u mean,

Edit: still get ending in .30 tho

Last edited:

hoseyy

HSC
My understanding of decimal points. First get your inferred semester wam by using your old wam and new one and weighting it by units of credit. Once you have the inferred wam, you can maybe use it to see how many subjects were used in it's calculation. If inferred wam is a whole number (could be 1,2,3 or 4) subjects. If inferred wam ends with .5 (could be 2 subjects most likely ) if ends with thirds most likely three or if ends with eights, must be 4 subjects. Pretty sure, but this in the inferred wam not the total wam

Thank you for the explanation, mine ends in .00 what would that suggest, and I finished my exams within the first week of exam period.

Since I finished within the first week would that suggest all my marks would have been uploaded or doesn't make a difference?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you for the explanation, mine ends in .00 what would that suggest, and I finished my exams within the first week of exam period.

Since I finished within the first week would that suggest all my marks would have been uploaded or doesn't make a difference?
2 hard to tell, could be anything

HSC

Mine inferred wam ends with .00 as well, so purely based on that it could theoretically be 1,2,3 or 4 subjects. But as you said, assuming subjects done in first week get marked faster sounds like a reasonable assumption. Probably more speculation though. Although if any of them were multiple choice based exams, they are generally marked faster. E.g first year subjects like micro
Hard to tell at this point though

hoseyy

HSC
Mine inferred wam ends with .00 as well, so purely based on that it could theoretically be 1,2,3 or 4 subjects. But as you said, assuming subjects done in first week get marked faster sounds like a reasonable assumption. Probably more speculation though. Although if any of them were multiple choice based exams, they are generally marked faster. E.g first year subjects like micro
Hard to tell at this point though
I hope it's all 4 subjects, I did first year commerce subjects so econ1101, acct1501, mgmt1001 and econ1203, but thanks for the reply! :)

D94

HSC
N/A
Did 3 subjects this sem. My wam's decimal place ends in .545 (Have done 2 previous sems of 4 subjects each) Someone explain?
That makes sense. .5454545454.... is 6/11, consistent with 11 subjects (4 + 4 + 3). It just means your WAM can be divided by 11 with 6/11 as a remainder.

pomsky

HSC
Good question. Well two subjects can't make a .25 or .75, if results of three subjects can average to something ending with.25 then it can be 3 or4 (4 definitely can) just haven't spent time on it to figure it out. So I imagine that's three or four
So do I multiply my/friend's WAM by 3 or 4 and see which one gets a whole number? :eek:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The total of n integers will have a remainder of either 0, 1, …, (n-1) modulo n. This means the possible fractionals parts for the average are just: 0, 1/n, 2/n, 3/n, …, (n-1)/n.

E.g. If 1 subject: only can have decimal of 0.

If 2 subjects: only can have 0 or 0.5.

If 3 subjects: 0, 0.333..., or 0.666...,

If 4 subjects: 0, 0.25, 0.5, or 0.75.

Etc.

So a fractional part of 0.25 for instance means the no. of subjects must have been 4 (or something divisible by 4).

(Assumption: weights in average are equal.)

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
The total of n integers will have a remainder of either 0, 1, …, (n-1) modulo n. This means the possible fractionals parts for the average are just: 0, 1/n, 2/n, 3/n, …, (n-1)/n.

E.g. If 1 subject: only can have decimal of 0.

If 2 subjects: only can have 0 or 0.5.

If 3 subjects: 0, 0.333..., or 0.666...,

If 4 subjects: 0, 0.25, 0.5, or 0.75.

Etc.

So a fractional part of 0.25 for instance means the no. of subjects must have been 4 (or something divisible by 4).

(Assumption: weights in average are equal.)
Does this assume that all marks are integers ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)