UNSW chit chat thread (2 Viewers)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

Tbh if I didn't know the person I would feel no obligation to help them if it was a consequence of their own actions and not a legitimate mistake.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Tbh if I didn't know the person I would feel no obligation to help them if it was a consequence of their own actions and not a legitimate mistake.
This is why I need to move past my slightly destructive personality trait where I feel obligated to help anyone of my peers if I am capable of it.

sadpwner

HSC
N/A

Can I have some advice for part 2? Not sure how to get the angle.

Mr_Kap

HSC

That moment I submit a code for a bullshit computer science activity at 11:59:55, when it was due at midnight.

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC

That moment I submit a code for a bullshit computer science activity at 11:55:55, when it was due at midnight.
What did you have to code

Mr_Kap

HSC

What did you have to code
just had to write a code to determine the sizes of like 15 different variables, where they were stored in memory, whether by default some of them were treated as signed (can take negative numbers), what were the MAX and MIN values of those variables, and what happened if we overflowed and underflowed them (went passed the max, and below min value).

And I meant 11:59:55 seconds. I had 5 seconds left, or it would have been late...but we don't get directly penalised if its late, it just shows good time management if we get it on time.

turntaker

HSC

just had to write a code to determine the sizes of like 15 different variables, where they were stored in memory, whether by default some of them were treated as signed (can take negative numbers), what were the MAX and MIN values of those variables, and what happened if we overflowed and underflowed them (went passed the max, and below min value).
Which subject is that?

StudiousStudent

HSC

Can a UNSW student help me out?

My school uses the Harvard style referencing guide from the UNSW website.

I'm not sure which category this website falls under:
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/marriages/relationship-register.aspx

At first I thought it was a Government department as author, and then a web source with no page numbers. Or it might be something else altogether.

I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify :)

sadpwner

HSC
N/A

Lol, I think almost everyone is stuck on that question. I asked a bunch of guys from North Sydney boys and they couldn't get it. One of them tried 45 degrees already.

At first I thought it was a Government department as author, and then a web source with no page numbers. Or it might be something else altogether.

https://student.unsw.edu.au/citing-different-sources
https://student.unsw.edu.au/how-do-i-cite

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC

COMP1917, Activity: Exploring Memory.
Oh. You guys do more low level programming compared to me.

We are doing objects and classes lol.

You use C right?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad

I'd cite it like this.
Bdm.nsw.gov.au. Lasted updated 17/08/2015 . Relationship register. [online] Available at: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/marriages/relationship-register.aspx [Accessed 19 Mar. 2016].

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Oh. You guys do more low level programming compared to me.

We are doing objects and classes lol.

You use C right?
This is a relevant good read: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html

UNSW takes a different approach to some other universities. They do OO/Java in second year. The advantage of the UNSW approach is you have a greater understanding of basic programming before touching OO which I think means you can better understand OO off the bat and can jump in to the OO principles which may get glossed over in object first subjects. It also means data structure and algorithm classes can usually be done in C rather than an OO language or something like Python.

It's quite common for unis to do "objects first" for teaching programming now (since the 90s), where you'll use an OO language (typically Java) and often learn about objects and a bit of OO design before you even learn basic control flow etc.

At UTS, for example, the beginning subjects (common to IT + ICT Engineering) are Java based and IT students in a programming related major will later learn data structures and algorithms in C++. While ICT Engineering students will later do low level programming and learn about C (wrt embedded systems by the second C subject) and a bit of ASM in subjects which are shared with Electrical Engineers.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

That moment I submit a code for a bullshit computer science activity at 11:59:55, when it was due at midnight.
My attempt at that was pretty pathetic because I went to the camp.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

My attempt at that was pretty pathetic because I went to the camp.
how was camp?

how was female/male ratio

were there cute white grills <3

Flop21

HSC

how was camp?

how was female/male ratio

were there cute white grills <3

Was alright, I'd say a 1:5 girl to boy ratio. Apparently there was more girls this year. A few white girls yes.

So cold though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)