UNSW chit chat thread (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
Re: UNSW chit chat thread 2016

I do math101

leehuan

HSC

Yeh MATH can be really hard to adjust to, coming from a background of HSC-style mathematics. It's very different, but I'm sure you'll adapt and excel! :)

Awesome to hear! Participating in both individual and team events?
Gah the change is so huge! But I haven't died yet :p

Of course! Can't leave so many opportunities with integration at all (especially after having missed MathSoc one...)

Mr_Kap

HSC

I'm dying for calculus in Math1131. :spzz: :spzz: :spzz: :spzz: :spzz: :spzz: :spzz: :spzz: :spzz:
Someone save me plzzzzz.

leehuan

HSC

Calculus just randomly got so hard after limits began.

But then wait for it.

INTEGRATION in a few weeks (hahahaha :p)

sadpwner

HSC
N/A

Damn, that F12 cafe rips people off so hard. They sell overpriced canteen food. Worst one was the tiny $12 lasagne valued around $3.

Dellrune

HSC
N/A

holy moly, i'm a first year, and I applied for several of the business societies ie finsoc, bsoc, ecosoc etc using answers pretty much straight from my co-op application and i did not receive a single interview, whilst my mate who wrote 2-3 sentence answers for the applications got an interview at every society.

wtf man

edit: lmao leehuan i'm in your class! this doust dude seriously rustles my jim's the way he lectures. I'm considering stopping going to lectures since I learn basically nothing

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A

holy moly, i'm a first year, and I applied for several of the business societies ie finsoc, bsoc, ecosoc etc using answers pretty much straight from my co-op application and i did not receive a single interview, whilst my mate who wrote 2-3 sentence answers for the applications got an interview at every society.

wtf man
Did you get a co-op offer though?

Also, there's a strong circle jerk between syd boys/girls and nsb/nsg in those societies. If you know someone, you'll likely get a second look and interview.

Dellrune

HSC
N/A

Also, there's a strong circle jerk between syd boys/girls and nsb/nsg in those societies. If you know someone, you'll likely get a second look and interview.
i fricking went nsb!!!! And in regards to coop i got shortlisted

D94

HSC
N/A

i fricking went nsb!!!! And in regards to coop i got shortlisted
Well, someone might not like you.

Jk. But seriously, it's down to who likes who more.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

wtf man

edit: lmao leehuan i'm in your class! this doust dude seriously rustles my jim's the way he lectures. I'm considering stopping going to lectures since I learn basically nothing
It could be your application but also there is the issue with some societies where they consider contacts and people you know.

I suggest getting involved in other societies where there is more of a purpose and getting roles isn't a popularity contest.

And Doust is a really great lecturer imo.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

wtf man
BSoc is really competitive so I wouldn't fret so much about BSoc.

FinSoc gave free interviews to those volunteered with them at O-Week so I'd assume that there weren't as many remaining interviews left to give out.

Your friend is either telling you lies about having 2-3 sentence answers or they have heaps of connections (which most likely wouldn't get them interviews at every society anyways if all their applications were horrible).

I assume you went for things like UNIT and I4C as well?

There's FMAA subcom apps open so definitely apply (persistence is key, I got rejected by like 4 different societies, although at the interview stage, before getting accepted by 1) and if you get into that, I think you won't care too much about those rejections.

Also, as for copy-pasting answers, it sometimes works (I remember doing it for consulting societies applications and getting interviews for all of them) but after doing application review and being an interviewer for Enactus (even though I'm not part of HR), I realise that candidates with strong credentials can still get rejected due to their application answers being way too generic (even if they answer the behavioural questions well, their society specific answers are just too weak/superficial) and they don't show any interest in Enactus (I.e. They've done ZERO research).

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW chit chat thread 2016

I have a friend who applied for a society which I'm heavily involved in, and I can guarantee you, any attempt at any nepotism (which wouldn't happen anyways cause I don't like the idea of it) from me could never change the fact that he wouldn't get an interview.

It could be your application but also there is the issue with some societies where they consider contacts and people you know.

I suggest getting involved in other societies where there is more of a purpose and getting roles isn't a popularity contest.

And Doust is a really great lecturer imo.
Subcom applications and interviews for these popular business-y societies aren't really popularity contests as some make them out to be. I can agree if you're talking about becoming an exec or director.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)