UNSW Maths Comp, Westpac etc. (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Is there any source/statistics showing each cutoff mark for scoring credits/distinctions/high distinctions/medals for each year? I know it depends on how well the state does but I'm just curious to see the cutoff for attaining a high distinction and seeing trends throughout the years. In summary, I want to know how much to score approximately to get a HD :).

Thanks.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not sure, but I know that these comps are really no indication of how well you -really- do in Maths. Of course, the reliability of the comps have increased lately because of the abolishment of the 'guess and lose marks' rule, where people who really had no idea what the hell they were doing came first in the school, however, at my school, the people who typically do heaps well in school maths exams, do shockingly at Westpac exams.

But anyways, I'll be hoping for a High Distinction. Got a Distinction for the past two years. =(

bored of sc

HSC
When I received a High Distinction in Year 8 I got 88/120 (73.3%) if that's any indication of what you need (of course it changes from year to year). I reckon about 70-100% (percentage mark) would get you a high distinction, 55-70% a distinction, 40-55% a credit and 0-40% for a participation (of course these are VERY rough approximates).

u-borat

Banned
HSC
You forget, there's another category, 'prize' which is if i remember correctly, for the top 0.5% of the state.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Prize is top 0.3% (50 dollars cheque). My friend got it 3 times in a row so I can never forget that. I got into 0.8% last year and 0.6% two years ago. (Not entirely sure, it was within 1%)

I think HD is like top 5%.

50% get Participation, 35% get Credit, 10% get Distinction, 4.7% High Disctinction and the rest get either prizes (money) or medals.

I am not entering this year.

HSC
In year 7 I got a high distinction with 107 points (putting me in top 2%).
In year 8 I got a distinction with 101 points (putting me in top 12%).

A person above said they got a HD with only 88 so clearly it varies a lot.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
In year 7 I got a high distinction with 107 points (putting me in top 2%).
In year 8 I got a distinction with 101 points (putting me in top 12%).

A person above said they got a HD with only 88 so clearly it varies a lot.
I think bored of sc might be talking about different exam. There are UNSW and Westpac. Westpac is much harder than UNSW.

kony

HSC
last year i got 17/30 which was still HD. (which was quite amazing)
i have also got 27/30 and still not a medal.

varies too much from year to year.

HSC
lyounamu said:
I think bored of sc might be talking about different exam. There are UNSW and Westpac. Westpac is much harder than UNSW.
Oh, yeah he might. I was talking about Westpac.

bored of sc

HSC
I was talking about Wespac. I think I must have just scraped a high distinction.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
the westpac one is the hard one which out of 120 or 150; the UNSW one is out of 30 and is generally a bit easier, and the UNSW stops at year 10 IIRC.

50 bucks was the only monetary reward from academics, like ever. lol.

shaon0

HSC
u-borat said:
the westpac one is the hard one which out of 120 or 150; the UNSW one is out of 30 and is generally a bit easier, and the UNSW stops at year 10 IIRC.

50 bucks was the only monetary reward from academics, like ever. lol.
There is a maths competition coming up...i don't know whether its Westpac or UNSW. Last time I entered i got a HD in Year 6. Since then i have never entered.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
lyounamu said:
Prize is top 0.3% (50 dollars cheque). My friend got it 3 times in a row so I can never forget that. I got into 0.8% last year and 0.6% two years ago. (Not entirely sure, it was within 1%)

I think HD is like top 5%.

50% get Participation, 35% get Credit, 10% get Distinction, 4.7% High Disctinction and the rest get either prizes (money) or medals.

I am not entering this year.
wow. why dont you enter? you got so good! can you get the last questions correct?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
wow. why dont you enter? you got so good! can you get the last questions correct?
I got 2 questions out of 5 correct. But I got tonnes of multiple wrong (easier ones). :angry:

It's not like I do not want to enter. It's like I don't know how to enter. My school doesn't do Maths olympiad in Year 11.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
I got 2 questions out of 5 correct. But I got tonnes of multiple wrong (easier ones). :angry:

It's not like I do not want to enter. It's like I don't know how to enter. My school doesn't do Maths olympiad in Year 11.
Woo, go Olympiad. :eek:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Woo, go Olympiad. :eek:
I am only going for Bio and determined to be placed at least 1%. I am working damn hard for it...hope I do well.

Maths olympiad doesn't sound like my type this year. lol

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
I am only going for Bio and determined to be placed at least 1%. I am working damn hard for it...hope I do well.

Maths olympiad doesn't sound like my type this year. lol
Good luck. Olympiad Selection test are killers.
How do you enter for Olympiad?

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Good luck, in the top 1% will defintetly put you in to the camp and maybe in the International Biology Olympiad team! Good Luck!

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
How do you enter for Olympiad?
It depends on which Olympiad you are speaking about.

There is really 2 'Olympiads'. The first i will talk about is the Science one.

The Science Olympiad is just the name given to the combination of the Physics, Chemistry and Biology Olympiads. They are all separate Olympiads, each with a different, but similar, way to get in. In year 11 (and lower years for gifted students) there is a test called the NQE (national qualifying exam). This test is free and anyone can take it, but most teachers really just pick the top 4-10 students in their class (be it Physics, Biology or Chemistry) if they even know about the contest.

The exam is one of the most challenging you ever have had in each field. It stretches your ability and requires you to understand the subject fundamentally. The syllabus is roughly based on Year 11 but the competition includes Year 12 and sometimes University material (really just advanced stuff on what you've done in class). It is 2 hours long.

If you range in the top roughly 21 people in the exam over the nation you will be invited to attend the camp over the Christmas holidays. So 21 people get selected for Physics, 21 for Chemistry and 21 for Biology. The camp is in Canberra. The camp covers the first year of University in the field you qualified for, and this is done over 2 weeks! There is, i think, 2 tests, one per week and a final selection test for who will be going to the International Olympiad (in either Physics, Chem or Bio).

The International Olympiad (IPhO, IChO and IBO) is the hardest competition for High School students in those fields. The team has 6 members for each Olympiad. They are held in different countries each year. This year the International Physics Olympiad is in Vietnam, the International Chemistry Olympiad is in Germany and the International Biology Olympiad is in India.

There is usually 3 theoretical questions and 1 or 2 practical questions over 2 days.

Some websites of interest are

Australian Science Olympiads (http://www.aso.edu.au/www/index.cfm)

This website has past NQE tests with solutions and also info on the Olympiads.

If you were talking about Math Olympiads (or for those whom are interested)

There is National Olympiads and International Math Olympiads

The National Olympiads include the AMC, AIMO, AMOC, AMO and APMO. The one you may notice at first is the AMC. The AMC is the most well know of all the National Math Olympiads. It is a test for which there are 3 devisions (Junior, Intermediate and Senior). Anyone can compete in this 'olympiad'. It has 30 Questions that you have 75 minutes to Answer.

There is also the AIMO. This is the Australian Intermediate Mathematics Olympiad. This is for students in year 9 and 10 (and gifted or tallented year 7 & 8s). This competition can also be entered in by anyone, although it is based on more difficult and forign materials in mathematics.

The AMOC is a 4 hour mathematics examination for generally year 11s, although year 9 and 10 can sometimes participate. I am quite sure this contest is only invitational.

The AMO is the Australian Mathematics Olympiad and is a invitational contest for the top 100 math students in the Nation.

After all these competitions the AMT (Australian Mathematics Trust) invites whom they consider the best 25 students to attend the School of Excellence. This is pretty much the same thing as the Camp mentioned before except for Mathematics. It is held in Melbourne in December (presumably during the Holidays).

Everybody who go to the School of Excellence (camp) are invited to go to the IMO (International Mathematics Olympiad) training program which is done also during the same Christmas holidays and it is also operated during the Easter Holidays (after the December Residential).

There is usually 8-Olympiad style Math questions that the students will take during the camps. Then the Team Selection Test is done during April, normally in Sydney over Easter. This decides who the 6 people will be that gets to go to the International Mathematics Olympiad.

The IMO team of six will then attend another training camp in June, just before the IMO (which is generally in July).

A good website is the AMT (http://www.amt.edu.au/)

and the IMO website (http://www.imo-official.org/)

That is essentially it.

Regards
--Kurt--

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)