UOW Degree Advice !?!?!? (1 Viewer)

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Hey,

I'm currently in Year 12, and I'm quite interested in Finance. I was wondering what the level of Mathematics would be like in a Bachelor of Finance & Mathematics. The assumed knowledge is Mathematics Advanced, and the recommended studies is Mathematics Extension 1. However, I only do Mathematics Advanced, and my weighted average for Math is sitting at 84% (after 3 assessments, pre-trials). I am worried that Math in this degree would be too advanced considering the recommended studies is Ext. 1? Does anybody know how hard it actually is? Here is a link to the course https://documents.uow.edu.au/handbook/yr2018/ug/H18006874.html

If the difficulty (in terms of Math) happens to depend on the major, which majors would rely more heavily on the harder Math and which not so much?

The following is a list of the majors.
My other idea was to try to get into a Bachelor of Commerce (Deans Scholar).

Thank You !!

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You'll be fine. Any math beyond the assumed knowledge, they'll teach you. You'll likely only need about 5% of Math Ext 1, and the rest of the new math will be new to everyone, even Ext 2 students.

The recommended studies is more of a guideline to your mathematical ability. Most of the stuff you learn in HS math will not be applicable to your uni degree, so I would read it more as "students capable of Ext 1", as opposed to having done Ext 1. There's a ton of Ext 1 students who don't know anything, and them taking Ext 1 will not give them any more of an advantage. If you're confident in your 2u math, then you'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)