Update me on VSU (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
http://www.uts.edu.au/new/index.html

Couldn't go today, had to work. I heard it was the Young Libs that were throwing bottles....
Anyone who was there will tell you that's absolute bullshit. There were 20 of us and I can tell you for 100% certain that every bottle thrown came from the anti-VSU group.

walrusbear

HSC
hey i was there today

and yeah withoutaface is right, the bottles were coming from the anti-VSU side

you were part of the young liberal contingent waf?
i was just curious, does the union fund the sydney uni liberal club?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
hey i was there today

and yeah withoutaface is right, the bottles were coming from the anti-VSU side

you were part of the young liberal contingent waf?
i was just curious, does the union fund the sydney uni liberal club?
I believe it does, the same way it funds the four left political factions, though our only cost today I think was some paint, as the shirts were free from the src and the placards were from the last state election.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
why does the sydney uni liberal club, a union funded club, promote a policy directed at severely reducing the funding for on campus structures such as the club itself??
or does it believe that the amount of people who will pay union fees under VSU will sustain it???
isn't there an ideological hypocrisy there?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It might increase it's prices to join instead on relying on others to pay (this year it was $2, they might increase it to $5 next year...)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Most Liberal club events don't require a hell of a lot (or any, in many cases) of money to run.

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
Most Liberal club events don't require a hell of a lot (or any, in many cases) of money to run.
i'm speaking ideologically here
why would an on campus club promote the eradication of on campus culture?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
i'm speaking ideologically here
why would an on campus club promote the eradication of on campus culture?
Who's to say VSU will eradicate campus culture? Drastically change it, yes, but increased accountability on the part of the organisations could feasibly lead to an improvement in efficiency to attract members.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
If the student unions are so adamant that they provide essential services that are utilised by the majority of the student cohort, then why are they so sceptical about a decline in membership? If the majority of students out there gain some form of realistic benefit from paying their fees, then they will continue to do so...

Or wait, is it because everybody pays their union fees, however only a minority of students gain some tangible usage out of them...

Why should a part-time student, or a student who spends three hours a day, four days a week at the campus, spend somewhere between $360-$600 p.a on services and the like, that they gain absolutley no usage from and accrue no benefits from ...
...its about choice and being able to spend YOUR own money according to usage and the relative benefit..

Moreover, compulsory unionism was removed from the workplace in 1996, so what makes the university version any different...

It probably has something to do with the fact thatthe student unions are aware of the massive decline in both the membership and power of industry based unions across the country...

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
Who's to say VSU will eradicate campus culture? Drastically change it, yes, but increased accountability on the part of the organisations could feasibly lead to an improvement in efficiency to attract members.
that's kind of bullshit, isn't it?
i mean
what reason is there to believe this?
and is the government even aiming for this?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
that's kind of bullshit, isn't it?
i mean
what reason is there to believe this?
and is the government even aiming for this?
Well the SRC is hardly going to get members under VSU if they funnel funds intended for student services to the PLO, are they ;)

walrusbear

HSC
withoutaface said:
Well the SRC is hardly going to get members under VSU if they funnel funds intended for student services to the PLO, are they ;)
so the liberal party approach to changing this is to completely undermine university infrastructure?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
so the liberal party approach to changing this is to completely undermine university infrastructure?
The organisations aren't going to reform themselves, so they need a push. If they're truly useful to students then those who didn't join will recognise what they're missing out on and join the next year. If not, then they have indeed become redundant, using the majority's money to serve the interests of the minority.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
SashatheMan said:
so what does the government get out of implementing VSU?????

Not necessarily the government, but students get their democratic right to decide whether or not they believe the union:

a)effectively represents their interests and beliefs
b)efficiently utilises the resources obtained
c)provides services and facilities that are of some tangible usage to the individual

etc etc

Additionally students feeling the financial strain that is repeatedly complained about, have the ability to decide whether it is financially feasible to make payments...

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
yeh all that benefits us, surely the government is not introducing VSU to only help us out. it must have some benefits for it self

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
With years to the next election if it's a success they can remind voters. If not well the electorate will largely forget.

HubertDale

HSC
I don't know if this has been asked before but can somebody show me a chart or statistics of somesort of where my f`ucking $400 per year goes and how much of that $400 actually goes to something that I use?
And for people bitching about food prices going up by 50cents or a dollar think of how much money you save by having VSU, if your gonna join any clubs post-vsu i'm sure it ouldnt be too much more expensive.

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
HubertDale said:
I don't know if this has been asked before but can somebody show me a chart or statistics of somesort of where my f`ucking $400 per year goes and how much of that $400 actually goes to something that I use?
And for people bitching about food prices going up by 50cents or a dollar think of how much money you save by having VSU, if your gonna join any clubs post-vsu i'm sure it ouldnt be too much more expensive.
well u see those tree hugging hippies protesting outside uni, your money pays for those jerks to stand there and protest over bullshit

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
The organisations aren't going to reform themselves, so they need a push.
I believe the phrase is 'throwing the baby out with the bath water'. This is hardly a mere 'push', calculon.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)