URGENT: Apparent Changes to UNSW LAW Entry (1 Viewer)

avi888

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

So apparently from feb 2015 UNSW will announce a test which you also have to do in addition to WAM to transfer into law? I got this information at info day from one of the staff, how reliable is the information?

Thanks,

Alkanes

HSC
Seems fair if it actually does happen.

Call up the faculty and ask.

avi888

HSC
Uni Grad
Should i be worried this isnt gonna be a umat style test i hope?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Call the faculty asap and confirm. You may have been confused with the person saying it could be a possibility that in future years entry to Law might be changed like that. It seems too little of notice for something like that to happen now for this year's entry.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I think they are mentioning the LSAT's and how it might be used for future entrants. For 2015 there hasn't been any changes.

HSC
Uni Grad
So far the LSAT is used in the University of Melbourne for admissions. I'm thinking soon it will reach UNSW just as to curb the number of people doing law.

hypermax

HSC
N/A
So far the LSAT is used in the University of Melbourne for admissions. I'm thinking soon it will reach UNSW just as to curb the number of people doing law.
Is it the same format as the american one

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it the same format as the american one
Yup it's exactly the same one.

Swear to god I also hope they dont use the GRE as an admissions test for postgraduate either. Otherwise they're pretty much just there to make money =_='

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I am not surprised though if this was actually legit because last year when I went to the info day, one of the law lecturers who I talked to actually also suggested an additional law entrance exam should be introduced to help differentiate those who are getting into law merely because they have the ATAR to and those who genuinely want to do law. Although I don't know how effective this change would be or whether it would actually affect the number of people applying for law in any way, but would be keen to see of the questions in the test though:)

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I don't think 'merely having the ATAR' is a bad reason to study law. That's like saying people who do UMAT for the lols, get 95+ and go into med to try it shouldn't study med because they don't want it as much as a student struggling to crack 80. If you are competent enough, sure go ahead and try it. You can always transfer out or change your degrees after that.

How many 18 year olds know what they want to do anyway?

So many people changed their preferences after ATARs were released to completely different things.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think 'merely having the ATAR' is a bad reason to study law. That's like saying people who do UMAT for the lols, get 95+ and go into med to try it shouldn't study med because they don't want it as much as a student struggling to crack 80. If you are competent enough, sure go ahead and try it. You can always transfer out or change your degrees after that.
I certainly agree with your point, but the law lecturers I talked to that day for some reason was quite hostile about the fact that some people choose law just because of the ATAR, so I guess everyone has different opinions:)

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I am not surprised though if this was actually legit because last year when I went to the info day, one of the law lecturers who I talked to actually also suggested an additional law entrance exam should be introduced to help differentiate those who are getting into law merely because they have the ATAR to and those who genuinely want to do law. Although I don't know how effective this change would be or whether it would actually affect the number of people applying for law in any way, but would be keen to see of the questions in the test though:)
More likely they'll end undergrad law and move to a pure JD program like Umelb. I'd lol @ people taking LSATs after high school. That shit is not easy. I think uni's are moving to a JD system because they figured out its not a good idea to let 18 year olds to get into law due to the drop out rate which hurts their ranking. U Melbs ranking soared after having a pure JD program. Oh and also they can earn more money through law schools since they have full fee places in law :p

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
More likely they'll end undergrad law and move to a pure JD program like Umelb. I'd lol @ people taking LSATs after high school. That shit is not easy. I think uni's are moving to a JD system because they figured out its not a good idea to let 18 year olds to get into law due to the drop out rate which hurts their ranking. U Melbs ranking soared after having a pure JD program. Oh and also they can earn more money through law schools since they have full fee places in law :p
Lol, if they are offering full-fee JD places across the Go8s, they better fucking end half the NSW law schools that are doing nothing but churning out largely incompetent law grads (have a look at their final exams lol), flooding the legal market and driving down salaries.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Lol, if they are offering full-fee JD places across the Go8s, they better fucking end half the NSW law schools that are doing nothing but churning out largely incompetent law grads (have a look at their final exams lol), flooding the legal market and driving down salaries.
JD programs offer both CSP and DFEE placements. I think a lot of law schools are moving towards that direction to boost their prestige and get serious applicants. There are a lot of incompetent undergrad law students since a lot of people do it because daddy told them to not waste their ATAR.

Purplefolly

HSC
N/A
Can confirm Law Entrance Test for UNSW Undergrad Law is being introduced in 2017. ATAR will be 95 + LET.

Purplefolly

HSC
N/A
UNSW. Law Faculty at recent HSC Careers Expo, Moore Park.
Will still be able to get into undergrad combined Law at UNSW without sitting LET if get ATAR 99.7.
LET + ATAR ~95 will be alternative entry pwy for HSC school applicants.
Students will sit LET in Sept of HSC year.
LET will test 'soft skills' - lateral thinking, problem solving etc. Similar to UMAT. Watch the coaching colleges spring up.... Just another hoop.

Last edited:

emilychow16

HSC
N/A
Can confirm Law Entrance Test for UNSW Undergrad Law is being introduced in 2017. ATAR will be 95 + LET.
Does this apply for someone wanting to do bachelor of commerce in 2016 and wanting to internally transfer to law in 2017 (because the atar cutoff is too high to get into law straight away)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)