• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

URGENT PLS HELP should i drop to standard english? (1 Viewer)

should i drop to standard

• yes (go to standard)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no (stay in advanced)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

greersy_01

HSC
hi! I am currently in year 11 (I just started year 12 content), and I'm doing English advanced. I haven't had the best year, so my marks for everything have been pretty bad. for English prelim, I got 60% 🙄 I haven't gotten my average or rank yet, but I think my past assessments have been around the 65-70% range and ranked in the top half-ish of the cohort (60-something students)...just.
My concerns with continuing english adv are:
1. For year 12 I really want to focus on chemistry and maths adv as those are my worst subjects and i am more interested in them and their uni pathways, would english adv be too time-consuming to focus on the other subjects and still do well
2. I HATE Shakespeare I literally don't understand it, and I know it is a big part of advanced. in years 10 and 11 I always had to read the translation to understand anything, I could never spot language techniques, and I'm gonna be honest, I ended up using ai to help with analysis
3. I hate English.... like actually, if i could drop it i would. i hate every class and find it hard to pay attention, would it even be worth it to do adv if i hate english..
4. my essay writing in past years has been quite good like getting 95% so doesnt this prove its the content rather than my skill?
5. also, looking at past exams, the questions are all so idk..philosophical...theoretical, which my brain is more like straightforward/literal thinking, so I might struggle with that
6. also, my sister did std, so I have her resources plus advice.

BUT with all that being said i have some concerns with doing standard as well:
1. scaling. the scaling is so cooked for std so would it be better to do bad in adv than a bit better in std?
2. it's basically the same stuff, just different texts, right? So kinda, what's the point of risking bad scaling if it's kinda the same

IDK UGH, I've been thinking abt it for so long, and I still can't decide. sorry if this is kinda hard to understand I just wanted to say all my thoughts... also I kinda need to decide by next week as that's when I can change classes and units, and if I do drop, I don't want to miss too much. thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)