USYD Strike (1 Viewer)

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Mate, current inflation figures are at 2.2%. The 4% offered is well above inflation.

Also, they came into my lecture this morning and were trying to get us to walk out. Spent like 10 minutes talking, halfway through the lecturer got bored so pulled out his phone and took a picture. No one followed and overall everyone just seemed pissed rather than wanting to get on bored. Pretty much everyone that actually stopped was there to argue with them. The only thing I really agreed with them complaining about was the academic freedom, which the university guaranteed after negotiations.
was this ecmt1010? lol

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
two of these dudes picketing intentionally got in the way of a woman and tried to stop her at the entrance from redfern station. I was shocked and appalled.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
i was soo tempted to run through that banner like marathon runners do at the finish line, bringing the whole banner down mwahahaha

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Mate, current inflation figures are at 2.2%. The 4% offered is well above inflation.

Also, they came into my lecture this morning and were trying to get us to walk out. Spent like 10 minutes talking, halfway through the lecturer got bored so pulled out his phone and took a picture. No one followed and overall everyone just seemed pissed rather than wanting to get on bored. Pretty much everyone that actually stopped was there to argue with them. The only thing I really agreed with them complaining about was the academic freedom, which the university guaranteed after negotiations.
If they tried that, I would have told them to fuck off.

The reason I'm in class is because I want to learn.

sinawi

HSC
Yeah they said the whole university was closed.

Man I was just trying to buy textbooks :L

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
NTEU votes in favour of two day strike at usyd on 26-27 March (Tues/Wed of Week 4)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
At first, I didn't really care about what they were asking for but after the picketing, I was totally opposed to what they were asking for.

Also, it seems that everything that they are asking for is for themselves - "support your teachers" etc - in fact, I'd like new teachers, there are too many mediocre teachers at USyd. Also, at USyd, they seem to be more interested in research and (probably) postgraduate students - they don't give a fuck about undergraduates so fuck them. We have prestige but we honestly don't have great teaching at USyd.

Disgusting behavior doesn't deserve better treatment. Also, it costs money to go to university, I'm not paying to go on a strike.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
At first, I didn't really care about what they were asking for but after the picketing, I was totally opposed to what they were asking for.

Also, it seems that everything that they are asking for is for themselves - "support your teachers" etc - in fact, I'd like new teachers, there are too many mediocre teachers at USyd. Also, at USyd, they seem to be more interested in research and (probably) postgraduate students - they don't give a fuck about undergraduates so fuck them. We have prestige but we honestly don't have great teaching at USyd.

Disgusting behavior doesn't deserve better treatment. Also, it costs money to go to university, I'm not paying to go on a strike.
Welcome to the realities of tertiary "education".

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC

Are you aware that they kicked out a whole lot of staff last year for not researching/publishing enough? Some of them were really great lecturers, but because they spent their time on lecturing instead of researching and publishing, they had to go.

There's a huge flaw in that.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you aware that they kicked out a whole lot of staff last year for not researching/publishing enough? Some of them were really great lecturers, but because they spent their time on lecturing instead of researching and publishing, they had to go.

There's a huge flaw in that.
Well, that's fucked. But seriously, universities shouldn't be charging us so fucking much for doing a shit job.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Lets just hope they don't man handle students again.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC

You're a terrible person.

Chronicole

HSC
Heard there was another strike next Tuesday and Wednesday from PSYC lecture. Any confirmations?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
NTEU votes in favour of two day strike at usyd on 26-27 March (Tues/Wed of Week 4)
So this two day one, will it be similar to the Thurs one where like all my classes were still on bar one lecture? Or will it be a fuller strike?

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Guess I'm starting my mid-semester break two days early... last time this happened I only had one out of five classes running.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)