Usyd V Unsw (1 Viewer)

phrred

HSC
i think its because unsw has a much larger engineering faculty and can therefore take in more students

bradc1988

HSC
My friend does Bio-Med at USYD, he seems to like it. I don't think you NEED the phyiscs background, but you can always do the bridging.

I do believe that there are actually good job prospects for bio-meds, forgot where I read that though.

Oh and yeah they don't take in as many students as UTS/UNSW do, I think there may only be 40 places at USYD? Don't know the exact numbers.

vorahk

HSC
should really make a poll for this...

which one is better for computing science engineering/ digital media??

and unsw is no.1 in engineering in australia, so they claim, its that true?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
all unis claim they're the best. the good thing about unsw engo is that its all flexible first year to start off with and if you didnt do physics they have an intro level course phys1111 (not a bridging course) so it isnt all so bad. plus the engo co-op scheme is pretty good if you can make it in.

i think unsw/cofa have the only combined comp sc/digital media course in nsw.

phrred

HSC
vorahk said:
should really make a poll for this...

which one is better for computing science engineering/ digital media??

and unsw is no.1 in engineering in australia, so they claim, its that true?
its true if u believe times higher education:

http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/news/2005/1019.htm

i think syd uni came about 55th or something like that in this edition.

vorahk

HSC
hmm ok i just re read all the post in this thread.. i dont know what to believe anymore ><. the employment rates, social life, work exp, too much theory etc etc....

ps do you do a lot of hard (or much) maths in computing science engo/digital media?

thanks in advance

MoNNiE

HSC
Re: 回复: Usyd V Unsw

keropi said:
hey
does anyone on BOs do biomedical engineering?. i really want to do this course but am i crazy to even consider it seeing that i only do mathemtics and dont do physics? i do chemistry and biology. do bridging courses for physics and MX1 really work as this course requires you to have a credit avaerage at unsw. is there a big biomedical enginneer work force in australia, or are the employment rates low. i think it is really ridiuculous that the uai for this course is about 95.xx at usyd but only 85 at unsw and uts. from reading this forum i gather that unsw is the best for this course?. any advice would be greatly appreciated
I wanted to do biomedical engineering aswell, but i didn't get the marks for it.

Note that the UNSW Biomed Eng course is actually a combined Bachleor/Master degree.. hence you need ot select a certain major stream (Electrical, Mechanical.. i'm not sure about if there are others that u can combine it with).

On the otherhand the Biomedical Engineering course at USYD is an actual Degree course. At one stage.. before USYD offered a B in Medicine etc etc., alot of people wanting to do Medicine do this course as on graduation they have the possiblity of getting into the Graduate Medicine School ( someone correct me if this is incorrect .. i have n't really kept with course updates since 2004).

My opinion why people say UNSW is better is due to the fact that, if you can't find a job in biomed, you will still have your other degree to fall back on (its logic!)

I'm not sure content wise, but i'd personally think alot of the work would be based upon chemistry and biology as you are dealing with assisting the human body. Think of pace makers..or hip-replacements and the requirements that went into that. Physics would come into it, but it depends on what form(HSC Physics is nothing so i wouldn't worry to much on that).

Work force for biomedical engineers isn't that large, but it has been building um momentum these few years due to biotechnology and nanotechnology advancements... therefore there would be an increase in demand for them! Such companies such as Resmed do employ biomedical engineers! so don't worry there are jobs around! but check jobsearch.gov.au for validation.

UTS does offer biomedical but in a discrete way..

Last edited:

absta

HSC
I do Biomed Eng at Usyd (first year), and i'm finding it pretty good so far.
There's not much 'hands on' work atm, there's still a lot of theory at this stage, to introduce us to the basic concepts i guess.

Like someone else said, the biomed eng course at usyd is a four year full degree, whereas at UNSW its a five year course, where you chose a stream for your degree (eg Mechanical, mechatronics) and you get a Masters in Biomed eng.

Because Biomed is a stream of Mechanical eng at usyd, we have to do all the subjects that Mechanical Eng students do. My subjects for this year were 4 maths subjects (differential and integral calculus, statistics and linear algebra), engineering computing, introduction to mechanical engineering, chemistry, professional engineering (ethics, teamwork, etc), engineering mechanics and human biology.
It's been pretty interesting so far...the engineering subjects can get pretty intense but its not too bad.
I did 3 unit math and i didnt do physics for the HSC and im coping pretty well.
All in all im enjoying the course :)

JBakaka

HSC
hey i was just wandering if there is any place to do a comp sci. / digital media course except UNSW (and random private colleges)
I've heard of subjects within the comp. sci. degree at USyd that does digital media stuff but there's no other actual degree thats separate that i've found thats like the digital media offered at UNSW
anyone else know anything about it?

Xibal

HSC
what about the workshops in each of the discussed unis, fomr experience which uni has the best and most verstaile workshops?

esther

HSC
Xibal said:
what about the workshops in each of the discussed unis, fomr experience which uni has the best and most verstaile workshops?
i do mech eng at usyd and as people have already told you, its alot of theory...
we have labs for some of our subjects but not a lot of it.

if your thinking of doing a mech stream, you have the option to join up with the formula sae team where the undergrads design and manufacture a race car. unlike all the other unis, we have our own sae workshop and we pretty much manufacture all our parts ourselves. the 06 car will most likely be on show at the open day on the 3rd so come and have a chat to the guys~

Xibal

HSC
ok its getting real close to offer rounds and went to get as much advice as poosible so heres wat i want to do:

im very interested in doing a combined degree to be more precise mech engineering and commerce

i place more value in engineering so hence commerce is just for support

now the question is which uni is the best for me travel is not a problem

from wat ive heard:

UNSW: biggest engeering faculty was number 1 last yr

UTS: a good enigneering program with 1 yr work experience or something at least more that the other unis and has the highest rate of graduate employmen

USYD: prestige lots of theory and... more prestige

so i would appreciate any advice on which uni dat best suits me

Last edited:

Xibal

HSC
nah usyd has more rep overall so just saying ahh i go to usyd ppl are amazed

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hahaha I just reread this thread and realised aaaman went to UTS purely based on the fact it's 500m closer to central than USyd.

>:|

Xibal

HSC
dats good to hear well ive made my decison and is gonna put unsw as first preferences they have a strong commerce course which i like and up to date workshops and tools which im looking forward to using

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)