UWS - Faculty of law (1 Viewer)

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Thanks for your suggestion.

I've passed it onto the rest of the team and at present they feel it not necessary. Any posts regarding the Law Faculty at UWS can be posted under the College of Business subforum. Alternatively there is also a Law Forum in the University Section.

We may re-evaluate this decision in the future if we see the need. :)

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
though if you look at UNSW and USYD, their law sections only have 150-250 topics

is it needed for those universities?
absolutely not.

can those questions be posted in their general university discussion, and/or in the general law faculty section?

absolutely.

but it makes it easier to contain law-specific questions/faqs about law.

or if making a subforum is too difficult, (which really it isn't, this is more of a case of discriminating against other less prestigious universities more than anything)

maybe you can rename the business section to 'Faculty of Business & Law'

like as in the UTS subforum

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
though if you look at UNSW and USYD, their law sections only have 150-250 topics

is it needed for those universities?
absolutely not.

but it makes it easier to contain law-specific questions/faqs about law.

or if making a subforum is too difficult,

*MQ also does not have a law faulty and does fine as do other university forums such as UOW etc.

*UWS law in particular is already the target of trolls and we don't need a separate subforum for them to target.

*We can't have separate sub forums for each degrees, it makes it messier and more difficult to manage, it would then not be fair to all the other degrees who would like a sub forum.

*The other forums are formatted the way as that is the way the university faulties are divided and makes it simpler.

*There is no need for a re-name, you know law fits there as do other UWS students and there are a variety of things that fit under business.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
*MQ also does not have a law faulty and does fine as do other university forums such as UOW etc.

*UWS law in particular is already the target of trolls and we don't need a separate subforum for them to target.

*We can't have separate sub forums for each degrees, it makes it messier and more difficult to manage, it would then not be fair to all the other degrees who would like a sub forum.

*The other forums are formatted the way as that is the way the university faulties are divided and makes it simpler.

*There is no need for a re-name, you know law fits there as do other UWS students and there are a variety of things that fit under business.

*but if USYD and UNSW have it, clearly this is discriminatory.
either add them for the rest, or remove them from USYD and UNSW.

there are only 10 topics created in 2010 in the UNSW law sub-forum, and about 7 in the USYD law forum.

is that necessary?

*so ban the trolls, do a sweeping IP ban

* there is only a few faculties to which many degrees fit into.

well at maqurarie law fits into their 'faculty of arts'.. not sure about UWS

to be honest i have no idea which faculty law is in at UWS

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

there are only 10 topics created in 2010 in the UNSW law sub-forum, and about 7 in the USYD law forum.

is that necessary?

*so ban the trolls, do a sweeping IP ban

* there is only a few faculties to which many degrees fit into.

well at maqurarie law fits into their 'faculty of arts'.. not sure about UWS

to be honest i have no idea which faculty law is in at UWS
At UWS it fits under business like I said, you will find that out once you attend your university.

The structure of the UNSW, USYD forums is the way their faculty/schools are divided as is UWS and MQ.

I stand by my comments but I am not the only mod, they are free to comment.

bio_nut

HSC
I'd say that would be still a lot more threads than would be posted in a UWS law forum. There's not enough demand.

It has already been said that law is under the business school at UWS, you're going to the uni and demnading a subforum here without any knowledge of your degree?

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC

bio_nut

HSC
The year has barely begun, you can't only take threads from the last couple of months into consideration, there are far more people on here doing law at UNSW and Usyd.

It doesn't prove your point, it just shows people who study law at UWS have no idea of how their uni works, and that the law degree is administered by the College of Business.

bio_nut

HSC
Plus UNSW and Usyd have an actual LAW FACULTY, not just a school. There is no other category the students could post in if those forums where abolished.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
That happens for the first few weeks and then people get the idea and post in the business forum. I could move those threads but its not causing any problem so if I get a chance I can move them.

If you don't like my reasoning talk to the super mods or admin, I can't make a forum anyway.

Without Wings

Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Don't be silly.

UWS's structure is:

College of Arts
» School of Communication Arts
» School of Education
» School of Humanities and Languages
» School of Psychology
» School of Social Sciences

College of Business
» School of Accounting
» School of Economics and Finance
» School of Law
» School of Management
» School of Marketing
» Sydney Graduate School of Management

College of Health and Science
» School of Biomedical and Health Sciences
» School of Computing and Mathematics
» School of Engineering
» School of Medicine
» School of Natural Sciences
» School of Nursing and Midwifery

Colleges and Schools | University of Western Sydney (UWS)

This is where the subforums have come from - how the University itself structures the schools/colleges.

Other universities structure their schools/colleges/faculties in different ways and their subforums are reflective of this. Thus each university has a different structure to suit it's individual style of structure.

theism said:
This would be confusing and not reflective of UWS's structure.

Last edited:

rajputsingh

HSC
Theism

Why does it matter? Why is it so important? MacQ doesn't have one. It is just the way the actual unis structure their faculties. Nothing to do with BoS.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
cause you'll get the same posts over and over, because the posters wouldn't be bothered to look on the 2nd page.

it's also more concise as it will be in its on little area.

maybe put a sticky note saying 'law -> college of business'

rajputsingh

HSC
cause you'll get the same posts over and over, because the posters wouldn't be bothered to look on the 2nd page.

it's also more concise as it will be in its on little area.

maybe put a sticky note saying 'law -> college of business'

No offence but why should the UWS forum get preferential treatment in comparison to the others. Every other university forum is based on the faculties that the uni has. UWS does not have a law faculty but instead a school of law.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
No offence but why should the UWS forum get preferential treatment in comparison to the others. Every other university forum is based on the faculties that the uni has. UWS does not have a law faculty but instead a school of law.
because i suggested it?

society only moves forward when someone questions the status quo.

Without Wings has more than adequately explained why and how subforums are created, and I am content with that explanation.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You get the same posts over and over with a Law subforum anyway. People don't bother looking past the second page. People don't even bother looking past the first two or three threads. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)