UWS Law - New opinions? (1 Viewer)

Georgehana

HSC
Guys, I really want to do law when I leave but I won't get the necessary marks for unsw or usyd, is UWS law really that bad? I'm hearing UWS law graduates simply don't get a job in the legal field.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
No, it isn't.

Whether you get a job or not is largely dependent on YOU, regardless of which University you graduated from.

If you have the passion, you will make the effort to network. You will make an effort to try to obtain contacts. You will make an effort to try to obtain assistant positions to begin with so when you're up against a million other graduates upon graduation, you stand out.

I have a friend who just started second year Law at UTS. She recently got a job at a firm not as a full fledged lawyer of course, but sort of as an assistant adviser. I forgot the name of the position exactly.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Guys, I really want to do law when I leave but I won't get the necessary marks for unsw or usyd, is UWS law really that bad? I'm hearing UWS law graduates simply don't get a job in the legal field.
No one expects to be granted a job laid on a silver platter after graduation, and like what Carrotsticks stated - regardless of what university you graduate from, you're going to have to put in the extra effort to gain the right networks and necessary work experience that makes you different from other job applicants.

Plus, I don't think UWS Law is bad - but I'm a bit bias because I have friends doing law there.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
To say that going to UWS for law won't get you a job is complete and utter bullshit. I know personally, I don't need to worry about job prospects since I'm doing something else and all I need is something to say I can practice law (which is why I don't really care what uni I go to). Though, think about it; hundreds of students graduate from UWS law each year, so to believe that they will not have jobs is saying they just wasted five years of their life studying a pointless degree and they were just wasting time. Think about how stupid that sounds. It's nonsense.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Going to USyd or UNSW won't guarantee you a job either. ;) It's more or less the same anywhere.

I can say that most of us USyd law kids don't expect to be gifted jobs the moment we graduate. Will more USyd and UNSW students get jobs in the top-tiers than UWS? Likely. But that's nothing to do with the institution itself, but rather the hard work and determination of individual students.

ShaxBOS

HSC
If you really want to do law it could be a last resort if you went shit.

delian

HSC
N/A
No, it isn't.

Whether you get a job or not is largely dependent on YOU, regardless of which University you graduated from.

If you have the passion, you will make the effort to network. You will make an effort to try to obtain contacts. You will make an effort to try to obtain assistant positions to begin with so when you're up against a million other graduates upon graduation, you stand out.

I have a friend who just started second year Law at UTS. She recently got a job at a firm not as a full fledged lawyer of course, but sort of as an assistant adviser. I forgot the name of the position exactly.
+1

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Going to USyd or UNSW won't guarantee you a job either. ;) It's more or less the same anywhere.

I can say that most of us USyd law kids don't expect to be gifted jobs the moment we graduate. Will more USyd and UNSW students get jobs in the top-tiers than UWS? Likely. But that's nothing to do with the institution itself, but rather the hard work and determination of individual students.
this. People have this idealistic view that law gives you a guaranteed great job blah blah blah. Regardless of uni, excelling in the field is entirely dependent on how good an individual is, rather than which uni they came from.

The reason why USyd or UNSW law students may have more representation in higher order law firms so to speak, is probably due to the fact that these two unis have an intake of a greater calibre of students (i.e. 99+ ATAR compared to less than 90). Its much like say a school like James Ruse, the school itself is not that special (no offense), but the calibre of the students themselves gives them greater representation in the higher marks.

tl;dr version: If you're talented in your field, uni is an irrelevant factor as compared to your own ability.

acemusic415

HSC
I agree with the above mentioned posts. Seriously, it does not matter. I think the only downfall is the reputation (that cannot be helped because it's a new open institution its early beginnings). However, the teaching itself I heard is pretty solid. It may not be as great as USYD and UNSW, but these institutions had time on their side to flourish. Not all USYD and UNSW graduates will get a job - some people in my cohort are lazy and unmotivated. It is what you do with your degree that counts.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have the passion to go to any uni to do Law, you evidently have more passion that the kids with 99.65+ who only do law cause they can do it at USYD/UNSW.

A law degree is a law degree, if you have passion you will do the extra things to succeed.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not that you won't get a job but it might be more difficult to compete against graduates from USYD if you're from UWS.

enoilgam

HSC
No, it isn't.

Well said, right on the money. This doesnt only apply for law but many other professions as well

This is also an important factor to remember.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think he means if you have passion for law, you will go to any university, regardless of reputation and location. (Well that's what I think).
Oh, if that's what LoveHateSchool meant, then I apologise - and in that case, I agree. I don't see how you could get that interpretation from his/her words, though. :p It seemed to suggest that kids who get 99.65+ who choose USyd/UNSW Law over that of UWS for whatever reason (prestige or otherwise) are less passionate about law.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh, if that's what LoveHateSchool meant, then I apologise - and in that case, I agree. I don't see how you could get that interpretation from his/her words, though. :p It seemed to suggest that kids who get 99.65+ who choose USyd/UNSW Law over that of UWS for whatever reason (prestige or otherwise) are less passionate about law.
I got what he meant too :p

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I found out this Friday that I have to do College of Law (6 months) and 75 days non-paid work. Great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)