UWS Law - New opinions? (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you do a law degree ANYWHERE you most likely won't get a job in the legal field. The job market is oversaturated.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
How did you get into a program like that? I wouldn't mind doing things of that sort. Good for the experience.
Apparently all UNSW law students have to attend College of Law and do work experience for 75 days to become a solicitor or whatever.

izzy88

HSC
Apparently all UNSW law students have to attend College of Law and do work experience for 75 days to become a solicitor or whatever.
All law students who want to be a solicitor have to do college of law (well they have to do Practical Legal Training - PLT - college of law provides this). Most uni's don't include it in the law degree program though - they leave it for you to do afterwards. Some uni's such as UTS allow you to do college of law through your degree so that when you graduate from law, you can also be admitted as a solicitor. This is optional though (whether you do it through the degree).

If you go to a mid-tier/top tier commercial law firm when you graduate, then they will generally pay for your college of law (some of the larger firms actually do the whole college of law in-house - they teach you - you just sit the exams at the college of law place). Working with the law firm counts towards your practical component - it doesn't need to be non-paid. You generally have to work for the firm for two years - if you quit before 2 years you have to pay back the whole or portion of your college of law (about $8,000 I think). After your first year at the firm you have generally completed the college of law program and get admitted - so you go from 'graduate lawyer' to 'lawyer/solicitor'.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
How did you get into a program like that? I wouldn't mind doing things of that sort. Good for the experience.
Collaw is what you complete when you are nearing completion (or have finished) your law degree. It's like a crash course of 5 years in law school, scanning over the more important bits. To my understanding, you can only do your Collaw when you've completed your LLB or JD, so unfortunately, you have to go through law school first before doing your Collaw.

All NSW Law students who want to become lawyers have to complete their Collaw. Think of it as an extra half year of law school. Only thing is that in some circumstances, particularly if you're in the top tiers, your employer will pay for your Collaw, and you can do it part-time whilst working (and I'm assuming getting paid).

izzy88 can probably be more of assistance here than I can, given she's nearing completion of her LLB.

Edit: Speak of the devil, she just beat me. :p

izzy88

HSC
Edit: Speak of the devil, she just beat me. :p
haha thanks aerath :p

yes, just to add, when you do college of law through a firm you generally do it 'part time' over the year while you work. I have a friend who is at a smaller firm - they are paying but they don't have enough graduates to do it in house - so she is going to college of law (at St Leonards) for all of next week. And I think there are two other full weeks later in the year. She still gets paid by her firm as well for that week.

The other thing of note from people who I know who have done it is that you just have to pass - if you are doing it through a law firm they don't appear to care what kind of marks you get - you just need to pass to get your certificate so you can be admitted. People seem to be a lot more relaxed about college of law then law school. I guess because they just need to pass/most of the people I know doing are employed - so they're not stressed by that etc. (well they have actual work to worry about more like, but anyway).

juliastegner

HSC
Why don't you check out UTS law (97+) , Macquarie Law (94+) , ANU Law (96+) ? There are other institutions besides UWS that offer Law :)

Last edited:

munitz

HSC
hey guys, my uncle is a senior partner and selector and Allens Arthur Robinson (Arguably the #1 Law firm) and he said that when selecting students it works as follows more or less:
those that attend uni's such as USyd or UNSW are more likely to attain jobs because of the increased difficulty of the course relative to other schools.
Example 1: if someone attends for instance macquarie and graduates law with a HD they are more likely to be selected over a student who receives a credit at Usyd or UNSW
Example 2: IS someone attending USyd recieves a distinction and someone attending macquarie recieves a high distinction, then the person from Usyd is more likely to be selected.
that being said, this is purely on an academic level, many other important aspects are taken into perspective such as passion work experience commitment etc
Usually the high schools are split into tiers. Tier 1 being Usyd Anu monash university of melb Unsw.. cant thing of the others and tier 2 being macquarie wollongong etc

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
hey guys, my uncle is a senior partner and selector and Allens Arthur Robinson (Arguably the #1 Law firm) and he said that when selecting students it works as follows more or less:
those that attend uni's such as USyd or UNSW are more likely to attain jobs because of the increased difficulty of the course relative to other schools.
Example 1: if someone attends for instance macquarie and graduates law with a HD they are more likely to be selected over a student who receives a credit at Usyd or UNSW
Example 2: IS someone attending USyd recieves a distinction and someone attending macquarie recieves a high distinction, then the person from Usyd is more likely to be selected.
that being said, this is purely on an academic level, many other important aspects are taken into perspective such as passion work experience commitment etc
Usually the high schools are split into tiers. Tier 1 being Usyd Anu monash university of melb Unsw.. cant thing of the others and tier 2 being macquarie wollongong etc
I assume you mean the Go8s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)