UWS Law (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
What a load of shit that is.
Agreed, ignore trolls like him, Aussie is right ^^. The reason why UWS is so underrated and poorly recognised is because of immature individuals like him who go around trash talking when they have no clear understanding of the university nor the course.

@Thread starter, as said prestige isn't everything to a uni. Do the activities such as mooting like Aussie mentioned (UWS is one of the most practical unis for law as mooting is heavily offered0, get some work experience, extra curricular activities and ensure you maintain good grades or top then prestige is irrelevant. Also, ensure you have passion for law. I hear law is a tough degree so i have decided not to pursue it myself since i lack the passion and it would be hard for my career. If you have passion you will succeed most definetly!

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
don't do UWS Law, with law the prestige and reputation of the university is everything, it's not like medicine where any school is a good school. Think about it, why would Cambridge Law, Harvard Law, Sydney Law be harder to get into compared to UWS? Go to UWS if you plan to teach Legal Studies when you graduate
idiot.

noddis911

HSC
Uni Grad
My sister did Business and Commerce/Law at UWS, the only reason being was because she got a scholarship there. She says the university is shit. A couple of years ago a lot of the good teachers left because they were pissed with the standard the university had fallen to, and now all thats left are ethnics who can't even speak english properly and don't have a domestic understanding of the course. I'm not being racist or anything, but we are in Australia and its important that you are taught by teachers who have knowledge about Australian businesses, laws, etc. and also know how speak the language properly. She also said that teachers can't be bothered helping you if there is a problem and the uni administration for course transfers, etc. is slow.

Also because entry marks are lower for the courses, you will be studying with a lower calibre of students. Due to the increased emphasis on group work/assignments this means that alot of the time if you want anything more than a pass, you are going to have to take on the burden of the workload, because the others just don't care. Think about it, Sydney Uni Law requires 99.8 or something ridiculous, so you are going to be studying with students who attained a top 200 rank in the state. This demonstrates their commitment to their work, drive to achieve high marks and overall intelligence across a range of subjects. On the other hand with a low cut off at UWS, students will be on average less able in their studies.

My advice is to study UWS law if you have a passion for that subject and your marks are not high enough to get into another uni to do the course. Otherwise if you have other options, then really consider studying at another university. My sister has really regretted accepting the scholarship from UWS because even though she saved money on her fees, her overall satisfaction with the uni is well below par. I hope I didn't come off as the generic trash talker of UWS (aka U Went Shit :p), and good luck with Law wherever you study at :).

avro

HSC
What about University of Notre Dame? If you're so desperate to do law, but don't want to do it at UWS, their ATAR cut off for law is 90. Just a suggestion, don't crucify me. If not, just do another degree for a year and transfer. Not the end of the world :)

Wentworth

HSC
immature idiots like me, hmm well I guess most of the state are immature idiots as well considering the cut off for UWS law is so low, i.e. it's unpopular with us idiots.

Wentworth

HSC
What a load of shit that is.
I think most people in the legal profession would disagree with you on that one, how would people justify law as one of the noble pursuits if it's as accessible as UWS Law? And if I were trying to keep the reputation of my field, I'd be pushing Usyd graduates into my company all the way, because it's 'harder' to get into, therefore being a lawyer is 'special'. That would be a stupid reason for employers to reject UWS Law I agree, just to keep lawyers elitist, but hey some people want to prove that they're better than others. To the OP, your decision mate, I'm sure that UWS's lecturers all have Sydney Law degrees anyway, but in the real world this is how I see it playing out when job searching.

Once you're in though, doesn't matter what law degree you have as you move up the ladder your experience will matter more, the degree is just your knowledge base really. But why make it harder for yourself to get a job straight out of uni? unless usyd and unsw aren't options then I'd say go for your life with UWS but expect it to be a bit harder. Remember Usyd and UNSW ppl can get experience during uni too so that's not such a great leverage.

Wentworth

HSC
What about University of Notre Dame? If you're so desperate to do law, but don't want to do it at UWS, their ATAR cut off for law is 90. Just a suggestion, don't crucify me. If not, just do another degree for a year and transfer. Not the end of the world :)
smartest post on here, I think Usyd lets you do a degree then transfer after first year?

broncos123

HSC
N/A

enoilgam

HSC
I think most people in the legal profession would disagree with you on that one, how would people justify law as one of the noble pursuits if it's as accessible as UWS Law? And if I were trying to keep the reputation of my field, I'd be pushing Usyd graduates into my company all the way, because it's 'harder' to get into, therefore being a lawyer is 'special'. That would be a stupid reason for employers to reject UWS Law I agree, just to keep lawyers elitist, but hey some people want to prove that they're better than others. To the OP, your decision mate, I'm sure that UWS's lecturers all have Sydney Law degrees anyway, but in the real world this is how I see it playing out when job searching.

Once you're in though, doesn't matter what law degree you have as you move up the ladder your experience will matter more, the degree is just your knowledge base really. But why make it harder for yourself to get a job straight out of uni? unless usyd and unsw aren't options then I'd say go for your life with UWS but expect it to be a bit harder. Remember Usyd and UNSW ppl can get experience during uni too so that's not such a great leverage.
I know one of the lawyers in charge of recruitment for a major Australian law firm, and she told me straight out that they DO NOT look at the prestige of a persons university when they are hiring graduates. She said they mainly look at extra-cirriculars, marks, work experience and personality. She told me that in the past, they used to consider prestige but they no longer do because it is not a good determinate of whether or not a graduate will succeed in the workplace.

Whilst some law firms may consider uni prestige, a person with great marks, social skills, work experience and extra cirriculars is not going to have a hard time finding employment in law regardless of whether they went to Usyd or UWS.

Also, just as a side note, the US and Australia have different university systems and labour markets. In the US, uni prestige counts for a great deal with almost any profession (medicine, law, engineering, business etc). Prestige isnt given nowhere near the amount of importance which it is in the US.

Last edited:

Wentworth

HSC
I know one of the lawyers in charge of recruitment for a major Australian law firm, and she told me straight out that they DO NOT look at the prestige of a persons university when they are hiring graduates. She said they mainly look at extra-cirriculars, marks, work experience and personality. She told me that in the past, they used to consider prestige but they no longer do because it is not a good determinate of whether or not a graduate will succeed in the workplace.

Whilst some law firms may consider uni prestige, a person with great marks, social skills, work experience and extra cirriculars is not going to have a hard time finding employment in law regardless of whether they went to Usyd or UWS.

Also, just as a side note, the US and Australia have different university systems and labour markets. In the US, uni prestige counts for a great deal with almost any profession (medicine, law, engineering, business etc). Prestige isnt given nowhere near the amount of importance which it is in the US.
oh I see, damn I need to start reading Australian articles, a lot of my sources are American - guess that makes sense they always have to be on top don't they?

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC
oh I see, damn I need to start reading Australian articles, a lot of my sources are American - guess that makes sense they always have to be on top don't they?
Also take into account the admissions system in the United States for college is different to Australia. Applications for acceptance are not reliant on a catch-all number like the ATAR but rather personal responses the the university's administration regarding why they wish to study at the said institution. For that reason, studying at a prestigious university tells you more about a person compared to a similar situation in Australia.

muhahahahahaha

HSC
As for prestige in the law degree, yes, I do agree to some extent that prestige is important in the legal world. Some lawyers say no, prestige isnt everything, we dont look at what uni you went to whatever whatever, but other lawyers say that they do care what uni you went to, Lets face the facts, UWS is a good uni in terms of teaching (imo!), but some of the students there dont really give a shit about the course or their marks. if they fail, they have the who gives a fuck attitude....we can always repeat!
I guess it probably is because of the low atar that they ask for that people that dont have that much passion or drive for the subject get accepted, that UWS is considered a bad uni or whatever. They are the ones who give uws the bad name...not the standard of teaching.

EDIT: I talk from experience.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
you should probably talk to some people to find out to what extent the uni you go to for law influences your future employment prospects. Personally, I think the influence is limited, but since I'm no expert you should probably ask someone else.

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
Even if you think it might be good/OK and prestige is not a big deal,

and that probably in all honesty, is the truth,

if you look in this thread and elsewhere it is obvious that some people do certainly make a slightly negative distinction that your a UWS student,

it might not be right, but that's just what it is in the end.

Take from that what you will.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
If I wanted to do law and didnt get the necessary marks, Id go to UNSW. They guarantee 100 internal transfers and only count your GPA.
You can always transfer out to uws but i think transferring into UNSW with an atar under 95 is very difficult

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)