Valid argument for dropping to 10 Units of Study (1 Viewer)

zanny131

HSC
Hi Everyone, I would just like to say thank you in advance for investing time in helping a frustrated HSC student!

I am currently studying 6 subjects, 12 units:
ATAR: Yes

Math General 2
English Standard
SOR II
Music 1
Drama
Multimedia

My dilemma is that I had the intention of dropping Multimedia and pursuing 10 units of study in the HSC. This is primarily because I am currently doing 3 major works, and also have Performing Arts and sporting commitments out of school. My parents tend to ignore my argument when I request to drop the subject- my argument being that I foresee an immense struggle to attain high results in all subjects whilst maintaining my sanity- and assume I can just *give up* my out of school commitments to focus on 12 units. (I should note I am an avid musician and actor, having performed nationally & internationally, and acting is the craft and industry I intend to pursue). Our director of studies supports the parents opinion in terms of their child's education (as does all).

I am asking if someone can reinforce my argument and raise some valid points that can assist me in convincing my parents and therefore our director of studies?

It is now week 7 of 10 for T4 2014, and I and hoping to drop the subject before the school holidays.

Reactions: h_g

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I was in a situation like yours. I wanted to drop to 10 units for my HSC, but my parents were too stubborn and ignorant to convince, so I ended up forging their signature on the subject form. Seriously, your education is your education, and if you want to drop a subject then it's none of your parents' business.

Especially for someone like you; if you want to pursue acting you don't really need an ATAR. Your extra-curricular's are way more important. So doing 10 units makes sense, even if you don't have a backup it won't really matter too much in the long run anyway.

tyzzefloro

HSC
If you're good at drama its a breeze why go to 10 units. #logbooknightb4.

zanny131

HSC
I realise multimedia is easy, and if i had the time to invest in it then surely i could achieve great marks- but i currently have no motivation in the subject. it's irrelevant to my intentions, it requires unnecessary sums of money to complete the major work (in the only field i am capable of doing well- film/music video) and ultimately is a waste of my time.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I realise multimedia is easy, and if i had the time to invest in it then surely i could achieve great marks- but i currently have no motivation in the subject. it's irrelevant to my intentions, it requires unnecessary sums of money to complete the major work (in the only field i am capable of doing well- film/music video) and ultimately is a waste of my time.
You've answered on your own question. If you don't enjoy it, you're less likely to go well. On the other hand, it is good to have twelve units as a safety net. Saying that, three major works is way too much in my opinion. I struggled managing one! Good luck :)

zanny131

HSC
standard english is not a drop or downgrade from advanced. the scaling is very similar, the only difference is standard offers more contemporary texts & Advanced offers shakespeare. now i know you're thinking why the hell has this kid left shakespeare if he wants to act- and to answer that: because the study of shakespeare in english has no relevance to the practical and acting study of shakespeare.

I originally did Biology in year 11, hated it, then considered chemistry, which i enjoyed a lot but couldn't find time to complete the workload & then moved to multi with the intentions of dropping it anyway. the only problem was that my parents disagreed as HSC commenced.

I'm attempting to convince them this evening, and i will use your points to argue (thankyou btw!)

zanny131

HSC
what i mean is how shakespeare is studied and analysed in english subjects is different to how it is studied & analysed dramatically and because of this the study of shakespeare in english is irrelevant to me.

zanny131

HSC
So they continue to deny permission to drop because it's "too unsafe for only 10 units". I hate that bullsh it card they keep reusing. It's not their damn HSC, and i hate the subject! I'm not allowed to drop until half yearlies in April! :frown2:

Flop21

HSC
So they continue to deny permission to drop because it's "too unsafe for only 10 units". I hate that bullsh it card they keep reusing. It's not their damn HSC, and i hate the subject! I'm not allowed to drop until half yearlies in April! :frown2:
Wow you have strict parents, it's stressing me out just thinking about it.

I suppose that's the next best think, being able to drop at half yearlies.

zanny131

HSC
My brother, who I should say is a very intelligent person (although somewhat arrogant in this case) keeps suggesting to either not attend classes or just not do the work and they will have to drop me from the course. Now although that may work, that would include detentions, suspensions and basically a bad final year image.

Tomorrow i will talk to several teachers as well as the careers advisor, and get their thoughts. hopefully most side my argument and I will raise those new found points and references in another argument this week.

I have a multi assignment due on wednesday- i hate it, it's so lengthy and boring. Not sure if i should bother finishing it or submit it %70 done...

Axio

=o
HSC
My brother, who I should say is a very intelligent person (although somewhat arrogant in this case) keeps suggesting to either not attend classes or just not do the work and they will have to drop me from the course. Now although that may work, that would include detentions, suspensions and basically a bad final year image.

Tomorrow i will talk to several teachers as well as the careers advisor, and get their thoughts. hopefully most side my argument and I will raise those new found points and references in another argument this week.

I have a multi assignment due on wednesday- i hate it, it's so lengthy and boring. Not sure if i should bother finishing it or submit it %70 done...
Try to make them persuade your parents into letting you drop.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Don't finish it. Don't hand it in. Get N-awarded for it, then you'll fail the course and be free to do 10 units. I really don't see how they can suspend you for not handing in an assignment.

zanny131

HSC
it's due tomorrow and I'm not intending on finishing it at all. I will be studying for two subjects I actually intend to do in the HSC so theres no reason why i should waste my efforts on multi :) thank you for all the support! <3

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, rationalising arguments based on the use of syllogistic reasoning would not be very helpful in this instance at all. Whatever 'rational' arguments you come up with, your parents will always be able to reject them with some other rational arguments of their own. Hence the secret to enhancing your chance to convince your parents is to physically tell them and invite them to see your major works so far and inform them just how much time you are spending on all these subjects, yet your extra-curricular commitments are essential because they will further your career progress. Furthermore, try to raise some arguments based on 'emotion' rather than reason, i.e. invite them to step into your shoes and see your perspective and in turn take the time to listen to their perspective thoroughly as well without interrupting, having a better communication and persisting on pursuing these interests will definitely enhance your chances. At the end of the day, remember, it is your dream, your life, not your parents:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)