Violence erupts in Sydney over anti-Islam film (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
http://http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DQ6zIX29HkSo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blkYf_ngFSk

A side of the story that we never get to see.

This isn't police brutality? Regardless of so, why do we not see such footage on our prime time news?
You are trying to defend the un defendable. Everybody has the right to protest. Nobody has the right to randomly show up somewhere without giving the relevant authorities proper forewarning and wreak havoc. What you are showing is a proportionate police response to a crowd of people that had gotten to a point where they where physically abusive and a danger to innocent bystanders.

As you may guess by my avatar, I have no issue with holding the police to account when they overstep the line. They did not do so here.

Well if that's the case, lets have a look at what Christianity preaches.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/sami_zaatri/honor_killing_in_bible.htm
Firstly, why is this a Christianity vs Islam debate all of a sudden? You seem to be reinforcing the views and ideologies of the morons in the protest on the weekend. A majority of regular posters within this section of the forum are, from my observations, atheist.

Secondly, how about you actually get a clue about Christianity before you attempt to use it as part of your argument. This is what irks me with people. I have no issues with people contrasting religions and trying to make a point, but you need to know what you're talking about in order to have the right to do so. You've made a rookie mistake. You've employed the whole "this is what Christianity preaches!!!!" argument, when you're referring to the Old Testament of the Bible which was essentially written to govern the Jews prior to the birth of Jesus. A few posters have already pointed out that this is fallacious and it just shows everybody you're out of your depth here.

You are much better off conceding that the "protests" were a disproportionate response to an issue that never really existed in this country and just moving on.

7eleven

HSC
N/A
You are trying to defend the un defendable. Everybody has the right to protest. Nobody has the right to randomly show up somewhere without giving the relevant authorities proper forewarning and wreak havoc. What you are showing is a proportionate police response to a crowd of people that had gotten to a point where they where physically abusive and a danger to innocent bystanders.

As you may guess by my avatar, I have no issue with holding the police to account when they overstep the line. They did not do so here.

Firstly, why is this a Christianity vs Islam debate all of a sudden? You seem to be reinforcing the views and ideologies of the morons in the protest on the weekend. A majority of regular posters within this section of the forum are, from my observations, atheist.

Secondly, how about you actually get a clue about Christianity before you attempt to use it as part of your argument. This is what irks me with people. I have no issues with people contrasting religions and trying to make a point, but you need to know what you're talking about in order to have the right to do so. You've made a rookie mistake. You've employed the whole "this is what Christianity preaches!!!!" argument, when you're referring to the Old Testament of the Bible which was essentially written to govern the Jews prior to the birth of Jesus. A few posters have already pointed out that this is fallacious and it just shows everybody you're out of your depth here.

You are much better off conceding that the "protests" were a disproportionate response to an issue that never really existed in this country and just moving on.
In regards to the youtube links- the point i am trying to convey is that there is more to the protest than what the media has potrayed it out to be. In saying so, i am not justifying there actions, but rather condemn them..

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Though you have not directly suggested so,what makes you feel that Christianity is the "true" religion.
I didn't say that at all? I think christianity is just as silly. Just recognising that at least they've been able to evolve their beliefs away from barbarism.

Christianity being the obvious target for comparison given it is the majority religion in this country and the largest religion in the world?

The fact that his criticising Islam does imply that he feels that his own religion is superior to Islam.
I don't see how it does?

7eleven

HSC
N/A
I didn't say that at all? I think christianity is just as silly. Just recognising that at least they've been able to evolve their beliefs away from barbarism.

Christianity being the obvious target for comparison given it is the majority religion in this country and the largest religion in the world?

I don't see how it does?
What i find "silly", is how can you believe in a religion that has been changed by the incapable mind of man.

Debauchee

HSC
Whats wrong with that? Btw theres so much i can say about christianity, but im trying my best to hold on.
If something is omnipotent, then it can create something more powerful than
itself. But since it is omnipotent, it can then control every aspect of this thing that is more
powerful than itself, but likewise the new omnipotent thing can control every aspect of the old
omnipotent thing, as they are both omnipotent - but two things cannot be omnipotent.
Thus omnipotence implies the ability to create something omnipotent and the ability to control
that new omnipotent thing, but by being able to control that new omnipotent thing, it shows that
the old omnipotent thing was not omnipotent: it lacked the ability to create something
omnipotent. Easy peasy, there is nothing omnipotent by definition.

Christianity is dumb for this reason also, but we're talking about islam

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What? I'm not a christian. That is just my objective assessment of the two major religions in the world.

One is stuck in the dark ages. The other certainly has a religion text that is, but which in practice has largely managed to move on from the more barbaric elements.

Last edited:

Frostbitten

HSC
Wow "6 people". What about the thousands of civilians that have lost their lives, at the hands of drone attacks in Afghanistan and Pakistan. In the name of humanity i ask, is it not true that "thousands of lives" is far more precious than "6". Yet these thousands get no more than a line in the news, whilst we spend all our time, effort and attention on six lives. How blinded can you be?
How about the innocents being killed in their home country by their own people from suicide attacks or bombs, under the influence of Islam. I look up on the news and almost every day there is something saying, 18 dead 30 injured in a country like Jordan or Syria. Sure its probably not what Islam encourages but there is a tendency for people to do these things whilst being told their God wants it... The fact that so many people got angry to such an extent is disgusting, people here in Australia have been assaulted because of something completely irrelevant to us. But the truth is that the common belief that the West is terrible is what people want to express, I'm sure a lot of you have seen the video of an Islamic leader over here saying they will not follow the path of the West. These 'extremists' seem to have a heightened amount of followers than other religions, just saying.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Crazy people believe that they can't do anything wrong because they have a book made by an illiterate mass-murdering peasant who raped kids is their picture of moral perfection and should be emulated in every way

Makes sense doesn't it

7eleven

HSC
N/A
How about the innocents being killed in their home country by their own people from suicide attacks or bombs, under the influence of Islam. I look up on the news and almost every day there is something saying, 18 dead 30 injured in a country like Jordan or Syria. Sure its probably not what Islam encourages but there is a tendency for people to do these things whilst being told their God wants it... The fact that so many people got angry to such an extent is disgusting, people here in Australia have been assaulted because of something completely irrelevant to us. But the truth is that the common belief that the West is terrible is what people want to express, I'm sure a lot of you have seen the video of an Islamic leader over here saying they will not follow the path of the West. These 'extremists' seem to have a heightened amount of followers than other religions, just saying.
If suicide bombers are killing civilians, it should be in the hands of the respective country in which this has occurred to pursue such activities. However, it definitely does not justify Americas presence in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

7eleven

HSC
N/A
Crazy people believe that they can't do anything wrong because they have a book made by an illiterate mass-murdering peasant who raped kids is their picture of moral perfection and should be emulated in every way

Makes sense doesn't it
Your pushing it. Why abuse the prophet?

7eleven

HSC
N/A
You don't see me going around, saying crap about others religion?
Why is there so much hate towards islam?

Peccadillo

HSC
because it says that there's an omnipotent god
The omnipotence paradox is an illogical one and is widely considered as such.

If you want to support your opinions I suggest you do so with arguments that were not concocted centuries ago.

Also stick to the topic. This discussion is political - not about whether or not you believe muslims have a valid reason to be angry.

Last edited:

flower3000

HSC
the protest that occurred last Saturday represented a very small minority of Muslims, please before you judge any religion look into it. As every religion has extremists.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Also I'm very happy that Muslims again and again and again and again, regardless of how new they are to the forum, every single time blame the media for the portrayal of their brothers and sisters whilst paying lip service to the horrid violence.

I mean most of you guys don't even give a shit that there are people who take such a misconstrued version of morals from the same place as you guys determine them. Doesn't this worry you? Doesn't this make you think that there are some things that are wrong with Islam and the Quran if such a belief and behaviour can be withdrawn from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)