VSU protest on 28th of april (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well let's see I have two classes on after 12, and I fully intend on going to them. I might see the entertainment I helped pay for in my break.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't discourage public expression about government policies, but some people seem to have adopted the attitude that their protests will somehow change the situation. It will not.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Some people would prefer to cry out rather than just take a splintery pole up the arse, though.

By saying 'some' I do realise that many agree with the idea of VSU and that there are many other positions that one may take, such as not caring, for example.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
Some people would prefer to cry out rather than just take a splintery pole up the arse, though.
Yes, I agree that protest is a good thing in order to historically record public disapproval.

It's just that, strangely, some people think that in this instance they can change the situation

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Generator said:

By saying 'some' I do realise that many agree with the idea of VSU and that there are many other positions that one may take, such as not caring, for example.
Genny were you near Carslaw building around 9? I think I saw someone who looked like your photo.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
In principle I oppose VSU. But the alternative to VSU (ie, USU) is even worse.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
This thread is giving me a horrid feeling of deja vu. :(

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Generator said:

Don't you just hate those types. Keeping you up at weird hours of the morning, they don't have to let the rest of the world know what they're doing ;)

LazyBoy

HSC
perhaps smart, but very apathetic to the needs of society.

I may not like having to pay 500 each year, but i do because of the services it provides others and myself. I pay income tax (which really i dont have to, cause i know many many ways around it) why? because the good of the community.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
LazyBoy said:
perhaps smart, but very apathetic to the needs of society.

I may not like having to pay 500 each year, but i do because of the services it provides others and myself. I pay income tax (which really i dont have to, cause i know many many ways around it) why? because the good of the community.
Compulsary sport fees are hardly essential services.

Further, the tax analogy has been said again and again to be completely inappropriate.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i like getting $1 off everything i seem to buy at the Con Cafe with my union card...

I didn't like coughing up $590 one week after figuring out which uni i've been accepted in

so I'm kinda mixed with the whole situation.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The problem with unions/src's is that they WASTE student money.
There's always the argument of "ohh we provide essential services"..
Well, if these so called student politicians got up off their arses and actually put in the effort to SAVE students money by not spending on useless or self-interested endeavours, our union fees would probably be half what they are now, and more students would probably support unionism.

That's why I'm for VSU, because it'll stop the damn corruption and inefficiency that wastes our money, and forces unions to become more efficient as they have less money to go out and splurge on.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Further, the tax analogy has been said again and again to be completely inappropriate.
Hmm... alright it's time to think up another analogy.

Has anyone mentioned the coucil rates analogy yet?

The way i see it is that you pay council rates each year and their suppose to provide services to your local community.

e.g We get delivered the local paper. Where i live, it cost $0.80c including GST. I haven't subscribed for the paper to be delivered, it just is. I'm assuming (although i could be wrong), that perhaps part of my council fee goes to this? This could be likened to the studen newspapers published

Also, my local council holds community events. I may go to them, i might not. But their pupose is to promote a community spirit. Again, this could be likened to cultural events that unis hold.

Ok, having suggested the council rates analogy, i might be totally off the mark especially if it's a tax

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)