Well done ngai. (1 Viewer)

RyddeckerSMP

Go The Knights!
HSC
It seems that they are all equal, but some are more equal than others then...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Think there's decimal point involved in the original rankings, then they just rounded it off to the nearest integer, hence 5 guys getting 100 but only one ranked as number one.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Templar said:
Think there's decimal point involved in the original rankings, then they just rounded it off to the nearest integer, hence 5 guys getting 100 but only one ranked as number one.
It's called scaling - 80% raw doesn't get 80, it gets higher. By the same token, 99 raw doesn't get 99, it gets 100.

Why don't people get this? Isn't it self evident?

martin

Mathemagician
HSC
It seems that they are all equal, but some are more equal than others then...
I'm another random that got 1st in 3 unit maths (back in 2002) and at the time I wondered about this issue as well. I could definitely see how I got 100%, just answered all the questions and got them right, but I couldn't see why nobody else got full marks. Out of all the people who I'm sure were smarter than me I think somebody would have got it.
Anyway I never figured the answer out so if anybody has access to the raw marks or something how does this work?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Giant Lobster came 2nd in mathematics extension 2. Although he rarely posts anymore.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Estel said:
To slide rule: maybe you're just doing it completely for fun. But then your maths faculty is probably not a Nazi-run fascist entity.
I wasn't directing it at you. Just trying to correct a few misconceptions, such as me possibly receiving a place in 4unit. Be good if I did, and I'll certainly aim for it, but it's like a secondary objective.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
martin said:
I'm another random that got 1st in 3 unit maths (back in 2002) and at the time I wondered about this issue as well. I could definitely see how I got 100%, just answered all the questions and got them right, but I couldn't see why nobody else got full marks. Out of all the people who I'm sure were smarter than me I think somebody would have got it.
Anyway I never figured the answer out so if anybody has access to the raw marks or something how does this work?
It's scary like that, I didn't get it either, the same thing happened in 2003 and this year. Only one person got full marks. The odds of that are minimal. (I'd like to know what I got in the 3 unit exam, that would be interesting).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Congrats also to Xayma and acmilan, both of whom managed places in 2u maths:)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Templar said:
Yes, this is correct - the First in Course List and Top Achievers in Course List are both determined by raw HSC marks to one decimal place.

In order to score a raw HSC mark of 100%, you need to attain a raw examination mark of 100% and be ranked first for your school assessment component.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Just wondering, what mark would've been required to get into the top 10 for ext1 and 2? I'll have a stab and say 99, though I understand there are hidden decimals involved.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Ext 2: 98 I guess, since the max was 49.5.
Ext 1: Probably 99

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No, they don't. Althoguh for Ext 1 it will be aligned to 100.

grimreaper

HSC
saw you on the local channel nine news the past couple of nights idyll (nice uai btw)

Idyll

HSC
lol, i'm famous ;)

gotta love it though, it's a bit hard to tell with the camera crew when they're filming and when they're not, so bits appear on there that you never intended to appear on there.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Lol I got 98 for both haha, just wondering how much I missed out by.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
a good advice is to leave here and never return ><

btw, congrat ngai... saw ur name on paper ^^
omg, laurie, is he human??!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)