What are you currently Reading? (1 Viewer)

klaris

HSC
I've read that book.

Pretty good.

The abuse really creeps up on you until you can't stand it anymore and you're wanting the kill to happen.

I mean....

wendybird

HSC
Probably THE most compelling book I have read all year (and I have read prolifically through the year)

Perfect Rigor: A Genius + the Mathematical Breakthrough of the Century

by Masha Gessen

Its the biography of probably the top mathematical mind of the decade (century?), Grigory Perelman who proved the Poincaré Conjecture, then went on to reject the Fields Medal (the highest mathematics accolade), quit professional mathematics entirely and will probably reject the 1Million dollar Millennium prize for solving what everyone thought was one of the most intractable problems in mathematics. AMAZING.

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably THE most compelling book I have read all year (and I have read prolifically through the year)

Perfect Rigor: A Genius + the Mathematical Breakthrough of the Century

by Masha Gessen

Its the biography of probably the top mathematical mind of the decade (century?), Grigory Perelman who proved the Poincaré Conjecture, then went on to reject the Fields Medal (the highest mathematics accolade), quit professional mathematics entirely and will probably reject the 1Million dollar Millennium prize for solving what everyone thought was one of the most intractable problems in mathematics. AMAZING.

That guy ended up being unemployed and went back living with his mother.

wendybird

HSC
Yeah but his name goes down in history as the person who proved Poincare's Conjectore (now Theorem?). Plus he apparently has made more than enough to live on. He's fine. (if highly anti-social).

0bs3n3

HSC
A History of Warfare - John Keegan.

Got it for Christmas and I have to say it seems pretty damn awesome so far.

klaris

HSC
Finding Cassie Crazy - Jaclyn Moriarty.

Meh.

Funny, I must admit.

But I would've preferred something like The Slap for xmas.

0bs3n3

HSC
Last book I finished was 'The Lost Symbol' by Dan Brown. Anyone read it? I don't know what to think. It started all right but it got a bit convoluted towards the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)