What are you currently Reading? (5 Viewers)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
1984 is pretty dense, that you enjoyed it doesn't necessarily make it light reading.
I still wouldn't describe it as dense. It's just a particularly famous and well-written sci-fi novel. Every sci-fi novel explores strange themes and odd concepts, and Orwell's philosophies about reality being subjective and the power of the state are not particularly hard to understand, nor are they tedious to read, having been written into a rather compelling plotline.
I didn't enjoy the Three Musteketeers, but I still wouldn't describe that as heavy. I did enjoy Dorian Gray, but that I would describe as heavy.

Lentern

HSC
I still wouldn't describe it as dense. It's just a particularly famous and well-written sci-fi novel. Every sci-fi novel explores strange themes and odd concepts, and Orwell's philosophies about reality being subjective and the power of the state are not particularly hard to understand, [I]nor are they tedious to read[/I], having been written into a rather compelling plotline.
I didn't enjoy the Three Musteketeers, but I still wouldn't describe that as heavy. I did enjoy Dorian Gray, but that I would describe as heavy.
How is tedium quantified?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
How is tedium quantified?
Don't know. I suppose it must always have a degree of subjectivity to it. But I would certainly classify 70 non-stop pages of the author ramming their philosophy down your throat, in a poorly-made break from the plotline (a la Atlas Shrugged) as tedious. Or if it's a particularly abstract or advanced philosophical position that is difficult to describe succintly (a la Mind of God).
Actually, both examples there seem to have in common that if the meaning/moral/philosophy of the story can't be explained in a single page then it's tedious. So there you go. I guess I can quantify tedium.
Besides, I was primarily disputing your claim that I associated ease of reading with how heavy the novel is. Not true.

Lentern

HSC
Your concept of "depth" or "density" seems pretty arbitrary, which is ok except you felt the need to condescendingly sneer at someone else for saying they found 1984 to be heavy.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Your concept of "depth" or "density" seems pretty arbitrary, which is ok except you felt the need to condescendingly sneer at someone else for saying they found 1984 to be heavy.
Double standards are the new black. Except for black people, who aren't allowed to have double standards.

dsor01

HSC
American Tragedy- Thedore Dreiser

It has a good story, but he keeps dragging the plots. Which kinda gets boring :[

kfnmpah

HSC
Just finished Anthem

Starting Cannery Row - Steinbeck right now

someone recommend some good books plz. I'm going to read 1984 and re-read animal farm, then lord of the flies, but that won't take more than 2 weeks i need more things to read halp

kfnmpah

HSC
Has anyone read The Road - Cormac Mccarthy? Apparently it's really good, incredibly bleak but nonetheless a good book.
also want to read fight club.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Steve Jobs bio. Yes I realise I'm slow given I bought it at launch but the book was too damn thick/heavy to read, but now that I have it on Kindle I am finally reading it whenever I get time.

kfnmpah

HSC
Ok so i bought Candy, Lullaby, Fight Club and The Road
also have to kill a mocking bird, lord of the flies, scarlet letter, 1984 and animal farm to get through. SO MANY BOOKS!

wewewewewewewewewewewe

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"Endgame", Samuel Beckett
"King Lear", Shakespeare

because i have to study them for my english exam and though i went to all the lectures on them, i didn't actually read them

hehehehehhe

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
This is my 'to read' shelf:

Edit: Stupid forum doesn't want photos in this thread. Link still works.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This is my 'to read' shelf:

Edit: Stupid forum doesn't want photos in this thread. Link still works.
Quite an impressive collection there.

I've been looking to pick up a few of those books myself.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Enduring Love - Ian McEwan. Not what I expected, very creative.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Has anyone read The Road - Cormac Mccarthy? Apparently it's really good, incredibly bleak but nonetheless a good book.
also want to read fight club.
the road is a pretty good book. Its really bleak, but i think the part that makes it unique is its writing style. Its a great example of the power of simplicity

its also not that long of a read, you should be able to smash it out over a few days or even 1 day if you have the time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)