What are you going to do next year? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
What's your reason for applying?
To put it simply, I do not have any particular reasons for applying. It is just for safety purpose.

I am elligble because I came to Australia 4 years ago. Anyone who does HSC within 5 years of residence in Australia is elligble.

I don't think I will need this but as I said, it will only benefit me when I need it. :)

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
To put it simply, I do not have any particular reasons for applying. It is just for safety purpose.

I am elligble because I came to Australia 4 years ago. Anyone who does HSC within 5 years of residence in Australia is elligble.

I don't think I will need this but as I said, it will only benefit me when I need it. :)
do you know when u have to apply by?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
do you know when u have to apply by?
I don't actually know. But it's sometime next year so I will ask someone at school this year to find out. I will tell you once I find out. :)

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
lyounamu said:
That's me. :wave:

However, the view that you are about to receive from me is going to be a highly subjective view in favour of Business Studies, ready to hear?

Would you mind telling me where her academicstrength & interest lies? From then, I can see where your friend should head. If her strength & interest are equally shared between those two subjects, she should take her future desired career plan into account. If she plans to pursue a career like Phisiotherapy or Medicine-related job, she should choose PD/H/PE. If not, she can go with Business Studies.

Both subjects provide very practical and useful knowledge. She should take scaling into account as well if that's the case. Business Studies has a better scaling than PD/H/PE but in general, it doesn't have good scaling either. But it's better than PD/H/PE so it's pretty good in this particular situation. She should also consider the subjects she is undertaking at the moment. That is because she may have other subjects to care about.

For example, I chose Busienss Studies for several reasons. First, I like it and I am very good at it. Secondly, I chose it because I had other subjects such Mathemaics Extension 1 and Chemistry to sort out. So I couldn't spare too much time on subject like Business Studies. Thirdly, I chose it because it was likely that I was going to get good teachers. So I choose it. (That's a bonus, by the way)

Ask your friend, and tell her what I told you. She will appreciate it.
well, i can tell you what other subjects she wants to do next year.
english advanced
mathematics
mathematics extension
modern history
french continuers
chemistry

i'm not exactly sure what sort of career she wanted, but she's pretty smart, has high expectations (i guess like any other asian..no offence to any who reads this). but she does think she would "fail" a subject if she gets below the median. i personally think thats kinda rough, especially when i go to a partially selective school, but all the other smarter people in my grade disagree with me.
her electives at the moment are french, commerce and pass. she says she's not doing as well in pass as she'd like this year, and starting to enjoy commerce a little bit more (she thought it was boring as hell last year).

i didn't really know what to say to her, i guess i would have favoured business studies as well because i want to do that next year, and i wanted to do commerce/business at uni and i absolutely hate pdhpe, the only subject i get a C in.

and the teachers she'd get for either of those subjects would make no difference, the social sciences department are really weird at my school and the pdhpe department..i don't want to go there.

anyhow, thanks for your advice. i'm sure she'll make the right choice, she has the holidays to think about her decision and we have parent/teacher and also a subject selection information evening on the night before we come back to school so no doubt she'll talk to her teachers about those subjects next year.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nhoustonrocks said:
well, i can tell you what other subjects she wants to do next year.
english advanced
mathematics
mathematics extension
modern history
french continuers
chemistry

i'm not exactly sure what sort of career she wanted, but she's pretty smart, has high expectations (i guess like any other asian..no offence to any who reads this). but she does think she would "fail" a subject if she gets below the median. i personally think thats kinda rough, especially when i go to a partially selective school, but all the other smarter people in my grade disagree with me.
her electives at the moment are french, commerce and pass. she says she's not doing as well in pass as she'd like this year, and starting to enjoy commerce a little bit more (she thought it was boring as hell last year).

i didn't really know what to say to her, i guess i would have favoured business studies as well because i want to do that next year, and i wanted to do commerce/business at uni and i absolutely hate pdhpe, the only subject i get a C in.

and the teachers she'd get for either of those subjects would make no difference, the social sciences department are really weird at my school and the pdhpe department..i don't want to go there.

anyhow, thanks for your advice. i'm sure she'll make the right choice, she has the holidays to think about her decision and we have parent/teacher and also a subject selection information evening on the night before we come back to school so no doubt she'll talk to her teachers about those subjects next year.
She seems more of a "maths person" than "English person". Unfortunately, neither maths or english would help her do well in PDHPE. I don't really know unless I know exactly what her wants and needs are. But I would wish her to make a right decision (i.e. Business Studies). :rofl:

And no, I am not trying to persuade her to do Business Studies. I am a totally independent person when it comes to subject selection. "cough", "cough" :)

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
And no, I am not trying to persuade her to do Business Studies. I am a totally independent person when it comes to subject selection. "cough", "cough" :)
that is sure one awful cough. Maybe you should see a doctor :D

Currently I have the next 5 hours to study 5 topics for a test knowing that, 2 of which I have not learnt at school. So evil. Sometimes I wish I had not done maths. :D

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Hey guys

Here’s what I’m contemplating on selecting for my electives next year
  • Maths ( I love maths with a passion)
  • Maths Extension 1
  • English Advanced
  • Chemistry
  • Economics (I'm good at Commerce)
  • Physics OR Biology
  • Studies of Religion 1 unit (or Catholic Studies-Out school makes it compulsory :angry: , and apparently if you are good at RE -Which I am, even though I hate it with a passion, they will make you do SOR over Catholic Studies)
So 12 units for next year based on the list there. I might think about Ex 1 English as English is one of my top subjects and I really like it, or do legal studies or something like that.. (and drop it in Year 12 or if I’m finding the workload hard in year 11)

The biggest dilemma I am having right now is choosing between physics or biology. I love both, the concepts of maths in physics and just memorising stuff for Biology. I don’t know what my career aspirations are.. so it doesn’t exactly help. Maybe medicine, or some kind of science or some kind of business management position or law.. I really don’t know.

Is it true that Physics and Ex 1 Maths are related?

I am really pushing to do Ex 2 maths in year 12, so my workload is gonna be tough, especially with 13 ? units. (Damn SOR) So.. should I take biology over physics as it would be a slightly “easier” subject (its one of the lower scaling subjects, but I’ve noticed many guys have said its easy). The “advantage” of it would be that if I decide to do medicine, I’ve already got the knowledge, but I still have no idea what I’m going to do.

The more I think about it, the more options are available to me, but I don’t want to lock myself out of a certain career path.

Um, so that’s just all my thoughts posted in one heap lol (Hope it makes sense). I need some guidance!!

Thanks in advance guys.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TearsOfFire said:
Hey guys

Here’s what I’m contemplating on selecting for my electives next year
  • Maths ( I love maths with a passion)
  • Maths Extension 1
  • English Advanced
  • Chemistry
  • Economics (I'm good at Commerce)
  • Physics OR Biology
  • Studies of Religion 1 unit (or Catholic Studies-Out school makes it compulsory :angry: , and apparently if you are good at RE -Which I am, even though I hate it with a passion, they will make you do SOR over Catholic Studies)
So 12 units for next year based on the list there. I might think about Ex 1 English as English is one of my top subjects and I really like it, or do legal studies or something like that.. (and drop it in Year 12 or if I’m finding the workload hard in year 11)

The biggest dilemma I am having right now is choosing between physics or biology. I love both, the concepts of maths in physics and just memorising stuff for Biology. I don’t know what my career aspirations are.. so it doesn’t exactly help. Maybe medicine, or some kind of science or some kind of business management position or law.. I really don’t know.

Is it true that Physics and Ex 1 Maths are related?

I am really pushing to do Ex 2 maths in year 12, so my workload is gonna be tough, especially with 13 ? units. (Damn SOR) So.. should I take biology over physics as it would be a slightly “easier” subject (its one of the lower scaling subjects, but I’ve noticed many guys have said its easy). The “advantage” of it would be that if I decide to do medicine, I’ve already got the knowledge, but I still have no idea what I’m going to do.

The more I think about it, the more options are available to me, but I don’t want to lock myself out of a certain career path.

Um, so that’s just all my thoughts posted in one heap lol (Hope it makes sense). I need some guidance!!

Thanks in advance guys.
For Medicine, generally two of the sciences must be undertaken (given that one of them is Chemistry and the other is either Biology and Physics). If you consider Engineering as your future career, I recommend Physics.

Ok, let me ask you: what type of person are you? Do you like solving questions? Can you put up with x -> inifinity number of notes for Biology? Do you like mental challenges?

Generally speaking, Biology contains much more contents. So it is not necessarily an easier option over Physics because some people would find Physics much easier than Biology because they are better at understading the concept and applying them. On the other hand, mentally lazy but physically dilligent people would love Biology where a lot of work must be done. I can only say that the amount of contents in Biology is probably the double the amount that you would generally find from Physics.

Looking at your subject, you remind me of my initial subject selection. They are exactly same!!! But look at mine right now. I changed basically all of them. That's because I made a wrong decision. I hope that you make a right decision. Oh yeah, I would recommend English Extension 1 if you really like English. It has got good scaling and it is apparently more interesting than English (Advanced). Ask others, they will probably tell you the samething. But I guess 13 Units is a lot of units. But don't despair! you can always choose to drop. All I can tell you is to try. Have a go! You have got nothing to lose. :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
For Medicine, generally two of the sciences must be undertaken (given that one of them is Chemistry and the other is either Biology and Physics). If you consider Engineering as your future career, I recommend Physics.

Ok, let me ask you: what type of person are you? Do you like solving questions? Can you put up with x -> inifinity number of notes for Biology? Do you like mental challenges?

Generally speaking, Biology contains much more contents. So it is not necessarily an easier option over Physics because some people would find Physics much easier than Biology because they are better at understading the concept and applying them. On the other hand, mentally lazy but physically dilligent people would love Biology where a lot of work must be done. I can only say that the amount of contents in Biology is probably the double the amount that you would generally find from Physics.

Looking at your subject, you remind me of my initial subject selection. They are exactly same!!! But look at mine right now. I changed basically all of them. That's because I made a wrong decision. I hope that you make a right decision. Oh yeah, I would recommend English Extension 1 if you really like English. It has got good scaling and it is apparently more interesting than English (Advanced). Ask others, they will probably tell you the samething. But I guess 13 Units is a lot of units. But don't despair! you can always choose to drop. All I can tell you is to try. Have a go! You have got nothing to lose. :)
HSC Physics is a joke.
In engineering, HSC MATHEMATICS, HSC MATHEMATICS EXTENSION 1, HSC MATHEMATICS EXTENSION 2 are more important.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
HSC Physics is a joke.
In engineering, HSC MATHEMATICS, HSC MATHEMATICS 1, HSC MATHEMATICS EXTENSION 2 are more important.
It may be. I am referring to the UNSW & USYD booklets. If they think we need it, we need it. We can always take a bridging course if it is necessary anyway. Your comment still has some degree of relevance in that regard.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
It may be. I am referring to the UNSW & USYD booklets. If they think we need it, we need it. We can always take a bridging course if it is necessary anyway. Your comment still has some degree of relevance in that regard.
In UNSW Engineering the prerequisites are HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and Physics but personally I believe you will rely a LOT more on skills learned in mathematics than what you learned in HSC Physics.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Forbidden. said:
In UNSW Engineering the prerequisites are HSC Mathematics Extension 1 and Physics but personally I believe you will rely a LOT more on skills learned in mathematics than what you learned in HSC Physics.
Um. Great to know that! Thanks!

I got recently depressed about the fact that I wouldn't be able to do Engineering because I didn't choose Physics when I had an opportunity to do so. (even though I could take up a Bridging course to make it up to that)

By the way, do you think I would still need to take a bridging course if I choose to do Engineering?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lyounamu said:
Um. Great to know that! Thanks!

I got recently depressed about the fact that I wouldn't be able to do Engineering because I didn't choose Physics when I had an opportunity to do so. (even though I could take up a Bridging course to make it up to that)

By the way, do you think I would still need to take a bridging course if I choose to do Engineering?
If I didn't choose physics I wouldn't worry about taking a bridging course.
When I saw the lecture notes for the very first physics lecture when I saw the official assumed knowledge for physics it said 'None'. I was like wtf???

But the definite assumed knowledge is integration, differentiation, plotting and sketching graphs, trigonometry, exponential and logarithms and other 2U level maths stuff.

Do you like Mechanics in Extension 2?
It finds itself in first year physics.

sikhman said:
i guess it also kinda depends on what eng you do....for some it would be more helpful than others....
Software Engineers don't have to do physics but do some extra maths called 'Discrete Mathematics' which is logic and proof based.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
So who goes to a Catholic School and it is compulsory to do SOR? What is your approach to this subject? Do you work hard in it or just not care about it?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TearsOfFire said:
So who goes to a Catholic School and it is compulsory to do SOR? What is your approach to this subject? Do you work hard in it or just not care about it?
I work quite hard in that subject. It's an extremely easy subject. It's easy to get good marks in it. I still doubt it will count towards my UAI but I still work hard in it for safety reasons.

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
I work quite hard in that subject. It's an extremely easy subject. It's easy to get good marks in it. I still doubt it will count towards my UAI but I still work hard in it for safety reasons.
yeah i dont think it counts to uai cause its a board endorsed corse rather dan board developed

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
yeah i dont think it counts to uai cause its a board endorsed corse rather dan board developed
SOR I DOES count towards UAI if it is your top 10 Units. It is a fully Board Developed course so it is a UAI course.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
I think you're getting confused with SOR and Catholic Studies...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)