• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What are you going to do next year? (2 Viewers)

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
in year 12, if some people decide to drop maths altogether, then they have to do studies of religion. so its choosing between maths & studies of religion. pretty dumb as everyone already has to do either christian studies or theology because of our anglican school.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
namu, could find out what is the assumed/preresequite knowledge is required for law (generally for the Uni's) ? Is it just 2 units of english? Also, is there like any additional tests that you may need to take i.e. like the UMAT test for medicine??

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TearsOfFire said:
namu, could find out what is the assumed/preresequite knowledge is required for law (generally for the Uni's) ? Is it just 2 units of english? Also, is there like any additional tests that you may need to take i.e. like the UMAT test for medicine??
No. There is no assumed knowledge for Law. Not even the English (Advanced) is an assumed knowledge for this even though it is a recommended study.

However, for Combined Law, it really depends on what other course you choose apart from the Law. If you decide to do Commerce and Law, Mathematics is an assumed knowledge (2 Unit Advacned, that is)

On top of that, there is no extra test for Law Degree. You just need to get a high enough UAI to get in. For Sydney Uni, the Combined Law is 99.55 and for UNSW, the law was 99.3 last year.

For Macquarie and UTS, they are a bit lower. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
xXmuffin0manXx said:
what abt just law by itself ?
As I said, nothing is an assumed knowledge but I read it somewhere that English (Advanced) is a recommended study and I don't doubt that.

Not many uni provides law by itself. it usually comes as combined.

akrinis

HSC
This is something which I'm always pondering about, do parents send their children to private/selective/religious schools because they're of that religion, or because of the prestige? I could be completely wrong and it might be because it's simply the nearest school or something.

And what do you guys learn about in SOR? I can't imagine myself going to a Christian/Catholic school myself, since I'm Buddhist, but I do know some kids who go to these schools, even though they aren't Christian/Catholic or whatnot.

HSC
Okay, so everyone I know is all "oohhh this scales well so I'm doing it." And then I kindly inform to them that just because "it will bring your grade from a 70 to a 90 UAI" ( i doubt it) does not mean you will do well in it if every student doing that subject has the attitude that they will do well and thus does not try, and therefore that subject does not scale well at all.

I'm getting A's in eveything at the moment- except for science (b) and maths (c- but my teacher said it should have been a b), so I have a fair few options but want to do a Bachelor of Arts Education at Sydney so I can teach English in High Schools .

Here are the subjects i am thinking of (they haven't distributed the lines yet, so all of my subjects may potentailly be on the same line :( )

• English Advanced (2 Units)
• English Extension (1 Unit)
• Visual Arts (2 unit)
• Modern History (2 unit)
• S0ociety and Culture (2 units)
• Legal Studies (2 units)
• Studies of Religion 1 unit (go to catholic school so have to do it, but don't mind it)

If I do all of them in year 12, and drop Legal and pick up English Extension 2, then I will have 3 main works (EEX2, SCU pip, VA body of work) but I have pretty good organisation so i think it should work...

What do you folk think of these subject choices? Is it to much of a workload? Too narrow? Do they 'scale' too low? Any advice on the subjects??

I'm really looking forward to year 11+12 where I can do the subjects I want, with the people who want to do them!

Oh and completely irrelevent, but I want a UAI over 90, even though I only want to do Secondary Teaching I'm aiming as high as possible!!!

Good luck to all yr 10s in my position- subject selection is an important process and influences (teachers, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, parents, siblings) can even make the process more strenuous, but the cliche is true; listen to your heart, regardless of the repurcussions!

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
akrinis said:
This is something which I'm always pondering about, do parents send their children to private/selective/religious schools because they're of that religion, or because of the prestige? I could be completely wrong and it might be because it's simply the nearest school or something.
Well, I think parents send their kids to private schools because of the facilities they offer: the sport, and especially the more expensive schools the technology. I think the standards ie behaviour, uniform, grroming at private school are a lot higher then public schools (no offence).

Religious schools, well I go to a Catholic School and I'd have to say a large proportion of us are secular, and don't really want to do SOR but it's compulsory for us. I think they go to my school for the great sporting opportunities they offer, plus the decent education and its relatively cheap compared to other private schools. We only have got decent facilities in the classroom, and I do envy schools like Trinity and Newington who have a lot more tech. then us. I live in the Inner-West, so there's a wide range of schools to choose from;My parents decided to invest my education in Private schools, but my brother goes to a Selective school.

Selective schools, more academic based. But I think that there's been a more bigger push for more co-curricular involvement, not just to study.

Aznmichael92

HSC
Well in SOR, there are 5 religions which you have to pick 2 to learn. I think they are Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam. At a catholic school I think 1 of them will most likely to be Christianity and the other one will be either chosen by the teacher or voted by the students. At my school, I think we vote on the two we want to learn.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
akrinis said:

And what do you guys learn about in SOR? I can't imagine myself going to a Christian/Catholic school myself, since I'm Buddhist, but I do know some kids who go to these schools, even though they aren't Christian/Catholic or whatnot.
In SOR, we learn about other religions as you correctly guessed. :uhhuh:

I learn about Christianity and Judaism in depth at school. They are extremely boring (no offence to the religion). You mainly about history of the religion, custom, ritual, main figures of the religion, sacred text, beliefs, gods and etc. I really loved SOR until last year when I topped in SOR with 98%. That was because we learnt about Buddhism and Islam (religions that I was extremely interested in). Now, I am academically declinging in this subject.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
Well in SOR, there are 5 religions which you have to pick 2 to learn. I think they are Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam. At a catholic school I think 1 of them will most likely to be Christianity and the other one will be either chosen by the teacher or voted by the students. At my school, I think we vote on the two we want to learn.
It's stupid that I could not choose my topics... I really wanted to learn about Buddhism and Islam. I already know enough about Christianity. I just want to move on to something else... interesting!

We are doing Judaism and Christianity...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
want2beasenior said:
Okay, so everyone I know is all "oohhh this scales well so I'm doing it." And then I kindly inform to them that just because "it will bring your grade from a 70 to a 90 UAI" ( i doubt it) does not mean you will do well in it if every student doing that subject has the attitude that they will do well and thus does not try, and therefore that subject does not scale well at all.

I'm getting A's in eveything at the moment- except for science (b) and maths (c- but my teacher said it should have been a b), so I have a fair few options but want to do a Bachelor of Arts Education at Sydney so I can teach English in High Schools .

Here are the subjects i am thinking of (they haven't distributed the lines yet, so all of my subjects may potentailly be on the same line :( )

• English Advanced (2 Units)
• English Extension (1 Unit)
• Visual Arts (2 unit)
• Modern History (2 unit)
• S0ociety and Culture (2 units)
• Legal Studies (2 units)
• Studies of Religion 1 unit (go to catholic school so have to do it, but don't mind it)

If I do all of them in year 12, and drop Legal and pick up English Extension 2, then I will have 3 main works (EEX2, SCU pip, VA body of work) but I have pretty good organisation so i think it should work...

What do you folk think of these subject choices? Is it to much of a workload? Too narrow? Do they 'scale' too low? Any advice on the subjects??

I'm really looking forward to year 11+12 where I can do the subjects I want, with the people who want to do them!

Oh and completely irrelevent, but I want a UAI over 90, even though I only want to do Secondary Teaching I'm aiming as high as possible!!!

Good luck to all yr 10s in my position- subject selection is an important process and influences (teachers, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, parents, siblings) can even make the process more strenuous, but the cliche is true; listen to your heart, regardless of the repurcussions!
That's great. I like your subject combination. It looks like you put in a lot of thought into this. Your subject combinations shows a great diversity and it's a terrific combination of low and high scaling subejects! (you don't want to have one sort of subjects). Your subjects are scaled ok. Some subjects like EX2 tend to have really high scaling so that's a bonus.

I think 90 UAI is defintiely possible as long as you get good marks in each subject.

HSC
akrinis said:

mlc would be a prime example..

half the girls there probably arent even methodist..

something about facilities was said b4..and thats pretty much about it

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
It's stupid that I could not choose my topics... I really wanted to learn about Buddhism and Islam. I already know enough about Christianity. I just want to move on to something else... interesting!

Dont worry, it cant be that bad. Actually, those two are pretty similar so i guess it is kinda boring. My older sister's ex school (graduated already), Casimir makes you do Christianity and Islam I think. Cant remember. I would like to do maybe Christianity(know alot about it so should be able to get good marks) and probably Buddhism (as other viets are buddhist). :D

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
xXmuffin0manXx said:
mlc would be a prime example..

half the girls there probably arent even methodist..

something about facilities was said b4..and thats pretty much about it
Yep, its basically if you have the money, you can go to the school.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:

The good thing about doing religious traditions you know more about is that you only need to learn the fine details instead of starting from scratch.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
The good thing about doing religious traditions you know more about is that you only need to learn the fine details instead of starting from scratch.
QFT

I loved learning about Buddhism and Islam. They were so fascinating!!! I absolutely adored the history aspect of Buddhism. I was looking forward to doing SOR II this year, but my school could not start the course due to shortage of students. I was going to treat SOR II as a history subject as I didn't choose history this year.

Aznmichael92

HSC
lyounamu said:
QFT

I loved learning about Buddhism and Islam. They were so fascinating!!! I absolutely adored the history aspect of Buddhism. I was looking forward to doing SOR II this year, but my school could not start the course due to shortage of students. I was going to treat SOR II as a history subject as I didn't choose history this year.
QFT?

Well at my school SOR is under the history faculty so you could say it is a history subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)