What car will you get as your first car? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
So not P-Plate friendly any more?
Guess not but presumably it'll be similar to C200 Kompressor/CGI where it's easy to get the exemption.

cos all I can get with $25,ooo are ugly toyota or ford cars. I'd rather have a car with a mad bodykit (in still relatively good condition)
I'd say the likes of Kia Rio, VW Polo, Mazda2, Ford Fiesta, Hyundai Getz, Holden Cruze, etc... aren't too bad nowadays. As long as you aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel of new cars, the $18-25k category is surprisingly well stocked. You can fit a bodykit to anything but realistically they are a pain to live with (I had one on my Civic FD). From a driver enthusiast perspective, some of those new cars drive surprisingly well, but maybe not quite Mini Cooper in handling quality. In all other aspects, and daily driving, I'd say hassle free motoring might be the way to go. It'll also be cheaper to maintain/service as well if you can get it for fixed-price servicing or thrown in.

I actually liked the subaru impreza hatchback, but only in the GTI model which I cannot drive as P platers can't drive turbos && same goes for the Volkswagen golf.
Butttt anyways if I were to get a second hand car, what should I look out for?

BTW I noticed that 'Havox' your studying Bachelor of medicine. I've been wanting to do that for a while. Is it hard? & lots of work? etc. and did you get in straight out of high school
Subaru Impreza hatchbacks for non-WRX (performance) models should be plentiful and cheap. They weren't that great value for money in the interior space and you were really paying the premium for the Subie AWD badge. If it were me I'd be looking at used Libertys instead which would be for similar money but both look and drive better. Unfortunately used Golfs, even non-GTI models, command a premium because they are Golfs.

And I believe Havox got straight into it because he's a nerd :)

LouisaCar

HSC
you are a douche 'boris'.

&& thank you 'seremify007' I'll probably end up going for the ford fiesta 2011' model if I cannot find a good mini cooper/bmw 113i just cos of rego, insurance and reliability

dest

HSC
I will get a Ferrari 458 Italia. Eat it dickmunchers

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

&& thank you 'seremify007' I'll probably end up going for the ford fiesta 2011' model if I cannot find a good mini cooper/bmw 113i just cos of rego, insurance and reliability
Was never a fan of the 1 series, looks like a turtle version of the upper series.

HSC
N/A
It's cheap and tacky, I know

but I want it anyway

tbh I only want it so I can modify it. Not that interested in the deets of cars.
Being a girl, I look at aesthetics :p

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
BTW I noticed that 'Havox' your studying Bachelor of medicine. I've been wanting to do that for a while. Is it hard? & lots of work? etc. and did you get in straight out of high school
2011 Fiesta is a very good call.

Hard is a relative term, so its difficult to say but subjectively its certainly not an easy course. The actual material isn't impossible but there's a lot that you need to learn in a very short time and lots of physical/manual skills to learn quickly and be able to do without thinking under pressure. You definitely need to put in a lot of hours and my semesters are way longer than most courses and yeah, straight in after high school.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

boris

Banned
HSC

yeah so how is that impreza gti going, 'car enthusiast'?

LouisaCar

HSC
Broooo I betchyah gotta Renault 5 in your garage u douche

LouisaCar

HSC
2011 Fiesta is a very good call.

Hard is a relative term, so its difficult to say but subjectively its certainly not an easy course. The actual material isn't impossible but there's a lot that you need to learn in a very short time and lots of physical/manual skills to learn quickly and be able to do without thinking under pressure. You definitely need to put in a lot of hours and my semesters are way longer than most courses and yeah, straight in after high school.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thankyouuuu!. How do you find medicine though? interesting. Do you have to know & learn about allot of chemistry?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Thankyouuuu!. How do you find medicine though? interesting. Do you have to know & learn about allot of chemistry?
Fascinating, I love it and there's nothing else I'd rather be doing. High school chem is probably beyond what you need to know, basic principals of molecules, ions and whatnot will get you through the course - useful knowledge and interesting but certainly not compulsory.

assiduous

HSC
Well, I'm looking in the used car market under 7.5k. Considering a Lancer, Civic, or Pulsar in this order. From around '99 and newer. Need some help guys.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Given that it's a 13 year old car, I think the bigger concern will be which one is in good condition and will be mechanically sound for your driving needs. The Civic will probably be the most expensive but then I'm also a huge fan of the Civic so if you can find a good condition one of these I'd go for it. $7500 should get you something decent though as it's quite a decent budget- you may be able to get something in the early 2000's (maybe 01 or even 02).

LouisaCar

HSC
Mazda 3 looks awesome and so does the hyundai veloster that's coming out this month!!!

assiduous

HSC
Given that it's a 13 year old car, I think the bigger concern will be which one is in good condition and will be mechanically sound for your driving needs. The Civic will probably be the most expensive but then I'm also a huge fan of the Civic so if you can find a good condition one of these I'd go for it. $7500 should get you something decent though as it's quite a decent budget- you may be able to get something in the early 2000's (maybe 01 or even 02).
Thanks, can you tell me why you like the Civic so much over the other cars in this budget. Are there any particular makes I should be looking at or to avoid? I see a lot of Astras, vectras, magnas on carsales but I've heard these cars aren't so reliable, is this right? I just want a decent first car, that is reliable, relatively cheap to own and run, and preferably safe (more safety features like ABS, passenger/side airbags). Know where I can start looking? Or link me cars on carsales :) thanks, you knowledgable bos-er :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I just like Civics in terms of reliability, the way they drive, the quality of the construction, etc... but then like I mentioned in the previous post, you need to actually inspect the cars themselves since at that age, problems can arise regardless of how good they once were. Agreed that safety is an important thing and at the very least, you should be getting driver airbags and ABS.

I personally checked www.drive.com.au but carsales is also good. You'll probably find some people cross-advertise too. To be honest I'm not that knowledgable on buying used cars so can't provide too many tips but at the very least get a mechanic to inspect it- there's also services offered by NRMA to do vehicle inspections too.

ps. Also check Redbook.com.au for reasonable car prices for each car/model/age as well as what the standard equipment is.
pps. Based on your posts, I'd say avoid anything modified or changed.

assiduous

HSC
I just like Civics in terms of reliability, the way they drive, the quality of the construction, etc... but then like I mentioned in the previous post, you need to actually inspect the cars themselves since at that age, problems can arise regardless of how good they once were. Agreed that safety is an important thing and at the very least, you should be getting driver airbags and ABS.

I personally checked www.drive.com.au but carsales is also good. You'll probably find some people cross-advertise too. To be honest I'm not that knowledgable on buying used cars so can't provide too many tips but at the very least get a mechanic to inspect it- there's also services offered by NRMA to do vehicle inspections too.

ps. Also check Redbook.com.au for reasonable car prices for each car/model/age as well as what the standard equipment is.
pps. Based on your posts, I'd say avoid anything modified or changed.
oh, cool. I don't like using www.drive.com.au to search for used cars under a certain amount e.g. 7.5k, some of the available cars that come up are linked through Ebay (bidding affects the actual cost the car is worth).
Yep, I'll be getting a male relative to help me inspect any car I want to look at.
Do you know what insurance companies I should be looking at? 19yo, p-plater, f, western suburbs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)