• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
Fellow students of UWS, I recommend we all go to UNSW. We all leave UWS and go and join our friends such as erawamai. I am sure they would be happy to see employers have higher regard for us due to us being from a better uni.

...:rolleyes: I give up. You wanted a rational argument and I get mister silly. Brilliant.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Jonathan a word of advice i used to get involved in numerous disagreements over the internet often (being an Anthony Callea fan prompts many questions of one's intelligence), and one thing I have learned is not to get angry and emotional, they just use it against you

Stott Despoja

HSC
N/A
Maybe not being iamaware will help... Jonathan, the point is that it's a bit rich to rail against derisive, oft-unfounded generalisations when they paint your uni in a poor light yet at the same time rely upon your own petty (and somewhat warped) generalisations about other universities and their students in order to 'prove' a point.

Last edited:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Stott Despoja said:
Maybe not being iamaware will help... Jonathan, the point is that it's a bit rich to rail against derisive, oft-unfounded generalisations when they paint your uni in a poor light yet at the same time rely upon your own petty (and somewhat warped) generalisations about other universities and their students in order to 'prove' a point.
are u really natasha?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Nobody gives a shit about where you get your degree from. As long as you can do the job.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
UWS, as are other regional universities, are aimed at a particular demographic. This demographic will usually attain a job within a certain spectrum.

USYD, just like the bigger unis, does very much the same thing.

Let's get off our high horses and get back down to what is really at stake here.

UWS students say that their facilities and degrees are of a reasonable standard.
Other members say that UWS is considered by prospective employers as being "inferior."

My response to UWS students: why do you need to validate yourself to these people? Give the kids the information and let them worry about whether they buy into this stigma and hype. Im sure that those who attend UWS, or any other uni for that matter, is able enough to get a job in their chosen field with a much more practical outlook than most universities from the city.

My response to the others: why do you need to validate your position by saying such things? The perpetuation of stigmas and "common" beliefs is through this ignorance and the constant need to reaffirm one's self by putting another down. Many of us have not experienced more than one university, and i don't think many of us would have had the experience of getting a job having gone to both and matching them up. Most of the attacks in here are personal rather than of facts and statistics (and we know the beauty of manipulation with numbers).

So in the end, who cares if you have a degree from xx uni or yy uni? Success is not measured by the fees i pay, the concrete of the buildings, the sandstone or the sculptures. Neither is it measured by pieces of paper we pay $20K+ for.

klh

HSC
why should we be stuck with their words that keep criticising us [or UWS]?
we want to show that UWS is reasonable but also to shut htem up...I went to cabra high so i undersand teh stigma attached to that suburb, jsut liek how the footy show just talked about the stigma wiht campbelltown yesterday, poepel dont want ot be stuck with negative crap like that, it de-energises the place and feelings towards it.

Anyway, most poepel employ grads from any uni really in that htey have to at least show some university education intheir work....they employ grads for their "mentality", the way they think. After all uni is about higher learning, thus learning to "think...while tafe and college seems to emphasise technical skills, so as long as your uni makes you think in different ways, then yeah. I mean as a management student, we are learning about the different "lens" we can see the world through and its cons and pros of each apporach, it helps us think about what we can do to improve organisations etc. so our thinking is on many more level and ways, analyse, criticise etc. Uni is suppose to develop these skills.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
wikiwiki said:
The ONLY point I have been making is that employers perceive UWS negatively.

How can I change what a large chunk of employers think?
I'd like to know who you know since you seem like the person who would not want to associate themselves with people who go to UWS or employs people from there :rolleyes:

So if you really do know that for a fact could you please explain how you know

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really I think that to some extent what uni you go to can hinder employment prospects however this could apply to many uni's not just UWS. I do think though marks would play a major factor in employment and could over come some of the stigmas attached to certain unis.

I also think some uni's are better at teaching certain subjects than others.

Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about, I know that I am not a uni student however I took the time to go to every uni open day that I could (accept MAQ because I had an HSC exam that day) unlike a lot of people who said "Oh I am not going to UWSs open day like who wants to go there", I have been to UNSW, USYD and UTS twice for open day and UWS once, I also went to the law outreach program when the uni's came to school I went to every single one, they basically told me the same thing. My point is you can't know anything unless you have at least researched about the uni's, those going to SYD or NSW I bet thought UWS was beneath you and didnt even go to the open day, however I am sure the UWS people would have visted yours so at least they have some kind of grounding to base their arguements on

You all need to grow up and get over this, its becomming a joke, everytime someone asks a question like this you all attack eachother and put eachother down, you all go to uni, you all are smart but this proves you ARE all immature!

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
natstar said:
The thing is, your not an employer, your a first year uni sudent, you are not in the capacity to comment
If you are going to use that argument, no matter how valid, it would be incorrect for you to present any opinion on any university - EVEN YOUR OWN. (hint: None of us are employers)

It disqualifies all of us.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

In general...

I'm tired of these people doing the whole 'pot calling the kettle black' thing. Victims of unfair generalisation of their uni (often unfair) who manage to then go and generalise about other unis.

You can't suggest that one person cannot talk about your uni and then start talking about what goes on about another uni.

As pointed out by Natasha

Stott Despoja said:
the point is that it's a bit rich to rail against derisive, oft-unfounded generalisations when they paint your uni in a poor light yet at the same time rely upon your own petty (and somewhat warped) generalisations about other universities and their students in order to 'prove' a point.

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah and I stopped because you and others said I wasn't qualified to say anything, fair enough, I though should be able to voice my opinion just like you are saying you should be allowed to.. I am also have some basis for my comments, I have been researching uni degrees since year 10 and visited all uni's with an open mind

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
natstar said:
I have never made a comment on what employers think about UWS, becuase obviously
natstar said:
and who is this 'nobody'? The nobody that employes my cousin, a UWS graduate? The nobody that has lined up jobs for all the 3rd year students ive spoken to, for next year?

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
melsc said:
at least she knows someone who goes to UWS erawamai, do you?
Um...so what? My post not challenging whether a uws person can get employment or not?

Simply, as she stated, I'm not qualified to really know. I'm not an employer. However you can't say things and then pretend that you didnt say them or contradict yourself.

I hope you are not suggesting that because she knows someone from uws she is more qualfied to make a comment. It would be like me saying I know someone from usyd and thus I'm more qualified to comment on usyd. The point is irrelvant. either way you are not employers and hence not qualified.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i'd like to point out a blindingly-obvious point:

does it fucking matter?

of course, it is not possible to capture the views of ALL employers in ALL fields by sharing the collective experience of BoS members.

this topic will only reduce itself to inane flaming.

melsc, please stop procrastinating and go study. there is no need to defend anything in this futile thread.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
natstar said:
pff how is that comment a comment about how employers perceive UWS students? They are hard cold facts. Not mumbo jumbo hearsay that seems to dominate this thread
natstar said:
and who is this 'nobody'? The nobody that employes my cousin, a UWS graduate? The nobody that has lined up jobs for all the 3rd year students ive spoken to, for next year?
The nobody I assume is an employer who employs your cousin.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Frigid said:
i'd like to point out a blindingly-obvious point:

does it fucking matter?

of course, it is not possible to capture the views of ALL employers in ALL fields by sharing the collective experience of BoS members.

this topic will only reduce itself to inane flaming.

melsc, please stop procrastinating and go study. there is no need to defend anything in this futile thread.
I know I know. But the point has to be made that it is wrong for a uws person to state that because you do not go to uws you do not know what hard work is. It would be just as wrong to suggest that because you go to uws you do not know what hard work is.

What do you think Frigid? Do you know what hard work is? That has been the crux of the tailend of this thread.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)