• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan A

HSC
robbie1 said:
social science

I do Social Science / Law. Social Science is a very well respected degree. UWS employs a lot of high-standing academics and people in the profession. You will love your time at UWS and it is very flexable.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Jonathan A said:
I do Social Science / Law. Social Science is a very well respected degree. UWS employs a lot of high-standing academics and people in the profession. You will love your time at UWS and it is very flexable.
Yani, he wants to do Criminology as well :)

Jonathan A

HSC
Annegelic said:
for crying out loud, yes, every single one of the 27498757847372945 students who attend UWS every year come out of their degree homeless, jobless and have no friends. Because UWS really IS that bad. That's why we pay money to go to it. We like to waste our money and challenge ourselves.

(I'm sorry, but ask a stupid question... get a stupid answer.)

Very Nice!

If you psychology majors in Social Science, you would be doing a very honourable degree. Psychology at UWS is by far one of the best in the world! Students come from all around the globe to study the programme. From Forensics to the MARCS auditory laboratory - UWS has it all!

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
Yani, he wants to do Criminology as well :)

Ohh thats even better!!!!

Only few universities offer Criminology in undergrad. UWS gives you oppurtunity to study it with other majors, from other schools, with forensics and policing units.

I recall Crime Prevention which I did last semester. A very professional unit! Taught by an Assoc. Prof who is the Director of Australian Centre for Security Research in UWS (offers a wide range of programmes to police, security, investigators and government departments like ICAC), a consultant who works in the field of crime prevention and has his own consultancy firm and worked with the police in youth and psychology and also a person who works for the Attorney General's Department and the Law and Justice Foundation.

Very practical and indeed very respected.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Dont let these UWSers fool you. UWS is looked down upon by employers because the graduates generally are not equipped with the same skills as those graduates from more established unis that may have received similar marks. This is not because people that go to UWS are stupid. Its just because it generally attracts less-able students when compared to unis like USYD for example. I would avoid UWS if it were at all possible. Sure its not as bad as tafe, but still pretty bad.

Good luck! :)

robbie1

HSC
Jonathan A said:
Very Nice!

If you psychology majors in Social Science, you would be doing a very honourable degree. Psychology at UWS is by far one of the best in the world! Students come from all around the globe to study the programme. From Forensics to the MARCS auditory laboratory - UWS has it all!
lol it sounds like you are being paid some cash under the table to say this....

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Jonathan A said:
Ohh thats even better!!!!

Only few universities offer Criminology in undergrad. UWS gives you oppurtunity to study it with other majors, from other schools, with forensics and policing units.

I recall Crime Prevention which I did last semester. A very professional unit! Taught by an Assoc. Prof who is the Director of Australian Centre for Security Research in UWS (offers a wide range of programmes to police, security, investigators and government departments like ICAC), a consultant who works in the field of crime prevention and has his own consultancy firm and worked with the police in youth and psychology and also a person who works for the Attorney General's Department and the Law and Justice Foundation.

Very practical and indeed very respected.
More and more people I talk to I find out they went to UWS in fact I already know two people who did law and criminology :)

Jesus!

Jeebus
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
Flexible

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
bearpooh said:
Very true.

Might have some trouble getting a job at Clifford and Chance, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer or Allen & Overy.

But on the other hand, Allen and Overy are notorious for mistreating their
trainees and associates, so who really wants to work with them .....
Yeah my CA said most of the big firms have a boys club attitiude but since I would liek to go to the bar and work for the DPP she said wat uni I go to wouldnt matter

robbie Jono just has uni pride dont ya yani :rolleyes:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
robbie1 said:
i have some mates who are trying to perduade me not to go to UWS because they think that it is looked down on by the "real world"

is this true....if i am at a job interview and they ask me where i got my degree and i say UWS will they laugh and say cya later?
Depends what course. For example if you got your education degree from UWS it doesn't matter.

Otherwise what absolution said is generally correct. But uni is what you make of it.

abolution said:
Dont let these UWSers fool you. UWS is looked down upon by employers because the graduates generally are not equipped with the same skills as those graduates from more established unis that may have received similar marks. This is not because people that go to UWS are stupid. Its just because it generally attracts less-able students when compared to unis like USYD for example. I would avoid UWS if it were at all possible. Sure its not as bad as tafe, but still pretty bad.

Good luck!
That's right. Don't be fooled.

If you were to say that you want to lawyer I would not recommend uws law. If you wanted to work for a large firm in corporate law then I would recommend other law schools over UWS. This does not mean UWS law is bad. This does not mean that if you go to uws law you will not get a job. However if you had a choice between UWS law and usyd law, unsw law, UQ law, ANU law etc etc then I would tell you to go to one of the last four mentioned.

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
absolution* said:

Good luck! :)

Let's look at the logic of your argument:

UWS people are not stupid. But they attract 'less abled' people (implies the same thing with different words). I learnt about bad logic from UWS, have you learnt about bad logic the University of Elitists?

Our graduates are equipped with the same skill, if not better! Business courses are challenging and very well-regarded, our law school contains very well-regarded academics such as the co-founder of Halsbury's Laws of Australia and the co-founder of the UNSW Law School.

Psychology is the most advanced in Australia, only Australian uni to be listed by the APS in the top ten unis in the world offering the best psych programme. Our social sciences programme is by far one of the best.

Absolution is a fool. He bashes UWS with slander and has no basis to back it up other than his snobbish responses.

As for which uni? Does not matter one bit. When I got my job in a law firm, they did not care which uni I went to. In fact some lawyers do not care about your education, only that you are able to practice. Absolution and his mates on the high-horse are going to get a nasty shock when they come up against UWS graduates with more experience when competing for jobs.

Too bad you can't tell an employer the crap you say here Absolution.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
He bashes UWS with slander and has no basis to back it up other than his snobbish responses.
You're doing the same, except in praise of UWS.

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
Yeah my CA said most of the big firms have a boys club attitiude but since I would liek to go to the bar and work for the DPP she said wat uni I go to wouldnt matter

robbie Jono just has uni pride dont ya yani :rolleyes:

lol I do.

The 'big boys' theory is rubbish. THe same crap was distributed to DipLaw students. However, DipLaw graduates are very successful. USyd claims pride because its had a 140 year head start. UWS, as young as it is, is still a great uni.

The best way to beat the big boys attitude if any, is to join them. They are not going to take you in because you are from USyd.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
As for which uni? Does not matter one bit. When I got my job in a law firm, they did not care which uni I went to. In fact some lawyers do not care about your education, only that you are able to practice. Absolution and his mates on the high-horse are going to get a nasty shock when they come up against UWS graduates with more experience when competing for jobs.
There are plenty of law firms out there in the burbs with beige carpet who will not care where you got your degree from or even how good you are.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
As I said before I was told by a UTS grad that UWS has one of the best law programs and most pratical and that she wishes she did it there

Who can't go to court and read a case out of a book, a judge wont care if you can rattle off a textbook definition of mens rea, they'll want to see apply what you have learnt

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
our law school contains very well-regarded academics such as the co-founder of Halsbury's Laws of Australia and the co-founder of the UNSW Law School.
Co founder of unsw law? Who may that be?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
melsc said:
Who can't go to court and read a case out of a book, a judge wont care if you can rattle off a textbook definition of mens rea, they'll want to see apply what you have learnt
We appreciate you comments however I don't think you should be making judgements as to the merit of law schools or even the law until you actually become a law student.

It would be wrong to imply that somehow somehow all other law schoolos but uws don't teach students how to apply the law or that somehow its textbook definitions.

It would be just as wrong as me suggesting that everyone thats comes out of uws can't read cases.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
I have evidence - I think I said that!
Well in reference to the post in which you made that statement:

"Business courses are challenging and very well-regarded" - Challenging means nothing, and you have no relative sense of difficulty so as to create a comparison, and you simply say well-regarded with no evidence.

"Our law school contains very well-regarded academics such as the co-founder of Halsbury's Laws of Australia and the co-founder of the UNSW Law School" - Here you seem to imply that great academics make a great law school...that's an anomaly.

"Psychology is the most advanced in Australia, only Australian uni to be listed by the APS in the top ten unis in the world offering the best psych programme." - I distinctly remember another thread on BOS where it was very conclusively proven that MQ had a better psych program by far, by another member in response to your posts in that topic.

"Our social sciences programme is by far one of the best." - Simply a statement.

"As for which uni? Does not matter one bit. When I got my job in a law firm, they did not care which uni I went to." - Yes, but you didn't get a job in a top tier firm which has drawn the most criticism for that attitude. And you can never say anything like that for sure until you have.

I should add that I'm not looking to pick a fight, I simply think you can't go around flailing those statements like that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)