• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I know that I would not know as much as you guys, however at present I am the only impartial one here since I dont go to any law school yet.

I am not saying that all other laws schools dont teacher their students to apply the law, , I went to UTS open day and I was told by ex-students that they didnt get to start practical stuff until 3-4 year (in LLB programs) or 4-5 in combined law programs - what I meant is UWS is known for its emphasis on the pratical side, however most people in here seem to think just because the cut off is lowerthat everyone who goes there got a low UAI score. I know quiet a few people who went to UWS because it was the only uni that offers their course

Still I hope we can all be civil in here... or yet again we'll have top have the mods close this like all the others

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
011 said:
Well in reference to the post in which you made that statement:

"Business courses are challenging and very well-regarded" - Challenging means nothing, and you have no relative sense of difficulty so as to create a comparison, and you simply say well-regarded with no evidence.

"Our law school contains very well-regarded academics such as the co-founder of Halsbury's Laws of Australia and the co-founder of the UNSW Law School" - Here you seem to imply that great academics make a great law school...that's an anomaly.

"Psychology is the most advanced in Australia, only Australian uni to be listed by the APS in the top ten unis in the world offering the best psych programme." - I distinctly remember another thread on BOS where it was very conclusively proven that MQ had a better psych program by far, by another member in response to your posts in that topic.

"Our social sciences programme is by far one of the best." - Simply a statement.

"As for which uni? Does not matter one bit. When I got my job in a law firm, they did not care which uni I went to." - Yes, but you didn't get a job in a top tier firm which has drawn the most criticism for that attitude. And you can never say anything like that for sure until you have.

I should add that I'm not looking to pick a fight, I simply think you can't go around flailing those statements like that.

I hate repeating myself to people who can't be bothered reading anything beyond what I said in that post.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
011 said:
I should add that I'm not looking to pick a fight, I simply think you can't go around flailing those statements like that.
I think that is the point. No one is picking UWS.

Jonathan A

HSC
In respect of what melsc said, I am just going to continue on with my studies at UWS and make the most of them. I am gaining great experience with the profession, will be commencing mooting competitions and going ahead with my Business Law Association idea with some other keen students.

I am still going to aim high, I am still going to aim for my political career.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Jonathan A said:
Let's look at the logic of your argument:

UWS people are not stupid. But they attract 'less abled' people (implies the same thing with different words). I learnt about bad logic from UWS, have you learnt about bad logic the University of Elitists?
Haha. Heres some logic: how do call people stupid whilst presenting a false facade of caring about their feelings.. call them less-abled.

Our graduates are equipped with the same skill, if not better! Business courses are challenging and very well-regarded, our law school contains very well-regarded academics such as the co-founder of Halsbury's Laws of Australia and the co-founder of the UNSW Law School.
I cant dispute that. What i can dispute, however, is that USYD would no doubt have a much better faculty.

Psychology is the most advanced in Australia, only Australian uni to be listed by the APS in the top ten unis in the world offering the best psych programme. Our social sciences programme is by far one of the best.
Would you like me to start listing the inumerable number of USYD accreditations and university-wide qualifications?

Absolution is a fool. He bashes UWS with slander and has no basis to back it up other than his snobbish responses.
Why do i bash UWS. To annoy people like you. Why do i like to annoy people like you? Its fun.

As for which uni? Does not matter one bit. When I got my job in a law firm, they did not care which uni I went to. In fact some lawyers do not care about your education, only that you are able to practice. Absolution and his mates on the high-horse are going to get a nasty shock when they come up against UWS graduates with more experience when competing for jobs.
Haha. I recommend you check out graduate statistics for commerce and law at USYD.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
In respect of what melsc said, I am just going to continue on with my studies at UWS and make the most of them. I am gaining great experience with the profession, will be commencing mooting competitions and going ahead with my Business Law Association idea with some other keen students.

I am still going to aim high, I am still going to aim for my political career.
That's right. John the young Liberals. Become a staffer to David Clark. Hob nob with Fred Nile.

Jonathan A

HSC
It should also be relevant to mention, when people do bag UWS, they should pay more attention to who teaches. Many lecturers are contracted out from other law schools, e.g. USyd law school and UNSW law school. Don't you just love casualisation?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
Many lecturers are contracted out from other law schools, e.g. USyd law school and UNSW law school. Don't you just love casualisation?
The significance of that is? Just because someone comes from a particular law school doesn't mean they are spectacular. I thought that was one of your own arguments?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Jonathan A said:
It should also be relevant to mention, when people do bag UWS, they should pay more attention to who teaches. Many lecturers are contracted out from other law schools, e.g. USyd law school and UNSW law school. Don't you just love casualisation?
Why do they need to contract in more qualified people from better unis? Haha.

Jonathan A

HSC
erawamai said:
That's right. John the young Liberals. Become a staffer to David Clark. Hob nob with Fred Nile.

Not going to bother. I will let you get back to your glass of champagne as you navigate uptopian ideas of the left.

Jonathan A

HSC
absolution* said:
Why do they need to contract in more qualified people from better unis? Haha.

To give me, a customer, the best education! Of course, if you think those lecturers aren't good enough, then I pitty with you.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
Not going to bother. I will let you get back to your glass of champagne as you navigate uptopian ideas of the left.
The thing is you do not even have the slightest idea of what the left is. You probably think the left is is anything left of David Clark. You probably don't even know what the left stands for. Let alone align your views with what the right stands for. You most probably define left as anyone who critcises you. Anyone left of you as uptopian. As a communist. Simply because you have no idea.

It's even more indicative of your lack of knowledge in that you actually think there are lefties running around in the NSW parliament (bar the greens).

Jonathan A

HSC
erawamai said:
The significance of that is? Just because someone comes from a particular law school doesn't mean they are spectacular. I thought that was one of your own arguments?

I am addressing one of yours.

Jonathan A

HSC
erawamai said:
The thing is you do not even have the slightest idea of what the left is. You probably think the left is is anything left of David Clark. You probably don't even know what the left stands for. Let alone align your views with what the right stands for. You most probably define left as anyone who critcises you. Anyone left of you as uptopian. As a communist. Simply because you have no idea.

It's even more indicative of your lack of knowledge in that you actually think there are lefties running around in the NSW parliament (bar the greens).

Mate, I walk passed you lefty loons everyday. The hypocracy of the watermelon is an interesting concept. I have read and studied enough left wing garbage to make up my mind where I stand.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
I am addressing one of yours.
By noting that UWS takes lecturers from usyd and the like you are accepting that the best comes from these universities. This is counter to your argument that quality of graduate or student is independent of what university they come from.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Jonathan A said:
To give me, a customer, the best education! Of course, if you think those lecturers aren't good enough, then I pitty with you.
"'Pitty' with me?" Yeah that totally makes sense bud. Why cant UWS hire out highly qualified full-time lecturers? Because qualified people dont want to have to teach mediocre, western suburbian scum?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
Mate, I walk passed you lefty loons everyday. The hypocracy of the watermelon is an interesting concept. I have read and studied enough left wing garbage to make up my mind where I stand.
You are a first year uws law student. You havn't studied a thing. I think it's a bit rich for a first year student to come out and start firing out his cannot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)