• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
They must be talking about ordinary negligence. This involves a a victim (well, a victim's "next best friend", since the victim is dead) against a negligent person, claiming damages. It's a civil action between private individuals for compensation, not a criminal action where the state is attempting to punish (by gaol sentences).
Arg stupid textbook, they all suck LOL. One of my others said that the Defence had to prove the case BARD :rolleyes: I think they meant create doubt

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
I should start bagging other universities, but in the spirit of being a nice kinda guy, I don't. I often say that an important skill for a lawyer is social skill. Bagging other people doesn't fit that criteria.

I would never doubt LaraB, she is a very smart person and did extremely well in her HSC, probably beat all those who dare to start bagging UWS. Looking back at many graduates, a lot have actually moved off into larger law firms, such as BDW and Mallesons.

Someone wisely turned this into a Harvard vs UWS debate. It's not that at all. Harvard is a better uni than USyd. I am sure most English and American universities see USyd as inferior. I am sure when USyd started off, it copped a lot of flack.

Someone also raised the issue of education being worthless when there are more universities. I agree entirely. However the Western part of NSW (which covers a majority of NSW and its residents) also need access to that education. Stupid people walking around calling USyd tops and UWS lame, don't realise the importance of education in rural or regional areas. The Orange Campus isn't the solution (where we need to relocate further on into the degree).

UWS has the largest lands than any other university in Australia. As Lara pointed out, its achievements in 10 years or so, is remarkable. And those who compare it now, should take into consideration that UWS is a working progress. It does need time, but it doesn't mean its education practices are ill-fated.

We have heard arguments that UWSers are less-abled. I think that sums up some of the argument of the Easterners - worried that people of the west, without fancy elite labels have access to the same level of education that you pride yourself for. Those you look down upon, now can have the same degree as you, so who do you blame? Of course, the University of Western Sydney.

But of course as a practitioner, you wouldn't be concerned. Your mission is to get into the large corporate firms. That's fine and I wish you luck. What drives you crazy is UWS graduates are trying to do the same thing. Many succeed as well. But its annoying for you, more competition. Some of these large firms have a handful of vancies, and thousands graduate from law every year. Where are they all going to go?

Lara said it correctly, get over yourself.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
melsc said:
wouldnt u agree, though that passion and determination can exceed ablity???
Sometimes. But others are just brighter than others. Your statement also seems to assume that people who get high marks or at least higher marks than you do not work hard.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
I should start bagging other universities, but in the spirit of being a nice kinda guy, I don't. I often say that an important skill for a lawyer is social skill. Bagging other people doesn't fit that criteria.
No one is bagging uws. but you cant let off your cannot and not expect people to come in and call on something that is blatently spurious.

I would never doubt LaraB, she is a very smart person and did extremely well in her HSC, probably beat all those who dare to start bagging UWS. Looking back at many graduates, a lot have actually moved off into larger law firms, such as BDW and Mallesons.
You shouldn't speculate about people you do not know. As some of you have mentioned UAI shouldnt be a measure of how good a law student is. I do not see how it is valid to then use uai so as to demonstrate how is better than all these alful people saying not so nice things about uws.

Someone wisely turned this into a Harvard vs UWS debate. It's not that at all. Harvard is a better uni than USyd. I am sure most English and American universities see USyd as inferior. I am sure when USyd started off, it copped a lot of flack.
Um...i think most people would agree.

Someone also raised the issue of education being worthless when there are more universities. I agree entirely. However the Western part of NSW (which covers a majority of NSW and its residents) also need access to that education. Stupid people walking around calling USyd tops and UWS lame, don't realise the importance of education in rural or regional areas. The Orange Campus isn't the solution (where we need to relocate further on into the degree).
I don't think anyone was contending that having a university in the west is a bad thing. Or that this kind of argument somehow makes a the unversity bad. Personally I think it is a good idea.

UWS has the largest lands than any other university in Australia. As Lara pointed out, its achievements in 10 years or so, is remarkable. And those who compare it now, should take into consideration that UWS is a working progress. It does need time, but it doesn't mean its education practices are ill-fated.
I don't think anyone challenged that.

We have heard arguments that UWSers are less-abled. I think that sums up some of the argument of the Easterners - worried that people of the west, without fancy elite labels have access to the same level of education that you pride yourself for. Those you look down upon, now can have the same degree as you, so who do you blame? Of course, the University of Western Sydney.
Did you say you were a member of the Liberal party? But while you have a stab at the east you may as well have a stab at the north.

Personally I don't have any issue with people in the west having access to education. Being someone of the center to center left I'm all in favour of it. Again you seem to have misjudged what the debate is about.

You about point has no causal link. You are talking about people suggesting UWS people are less able and then you go on able the east being worried about access to education? An opinion on whether western suburbs people should have access to education has nothing to do with whether UWS people are less able.

But of course as a practitioner, you wouldn't be concerned. Your mission is to get into the large corporate firms. That's fine and I wish you luck. What drives you crazy is UWS graduates are trying to do the same thing. Many succeed as well. But its annoying for you, more competition. Some of these large firms have a handful of vancies, and thousands graduate from law every year. Where are they all going to go?
I believe people who work for big firms happen to be practicioners too. I find your claim that the big firms take uws grads as spurious. When there ws a big kerfuffle a few years ago about a large sydney firm taking ONLY USYD AND UNSW grads people accepted it.

I think it would be wrong to suggest to a yr 12 that the big sydney law firms take just as many uws grads as unsw and usyd grads. This may not be the case in the future but it is the case now.

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
erawamai said:
Sometimes. But others are just brighter than others. Your statement also seems to assume that people who get high marks or at least higher marks than you do not work hard.

That's true. However there are great deal of law students doing law because they got into it, whereas as a client, I would want someone who has a passion like Melsc to represent me.

Also I think thats that a veyr unfair statement. You can't knock a person's dreams out because you think they are not bright. That's ludicrous. Are you by any chance left wing? If so I would have thought that argument would be entirely against your ethos.

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
erawamai said:
wow are you sure you are not Mark Latham?

No mate. Lara can tell you, Latham and I are nothing alike.

Sorry erwamai, it seems you can't debate my point.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Jonathan A said:
It does need time, but it doesn't mean its education practices are ill-fated.

Firstly, no one said it was ill-fated, they were talking about the current state of affairs.

Secondly, I thought the point of what people opposing UWS was that it wasn't the same level of education that Easterners 'pride' themselves for.

Thirdly haven't people kept saying in this thread that high-tier firms weren't their goal, that the bar was, and that UWS was perfectly able in that area.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I admit that I am not the hardest worker, and I know very well that often people who work hard are those who get high marks but there is often cases when some who are gifted dont have to work as hard as those who arent. I just think that it should be acknowlegded that people who dont get really high marks still work hard, its wrong to asume that people dont get a great UAI purely because they are lazy or not intelligent

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
How come people dont pay out med schools as much as law schools? Even though the degrees are of similar status.

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:

haha lol man you're closest to howard if anything :p

although - i dissasociate myself from anything to do with Latham:) apart from Julia Gillard coz she's cool:) i seriously think he's bi-polar or something..it's too weird how someone can just flip like that... bring back Whitlam and it'll all be fixed lol:p

Jonathan A

HSC
011 said:
Firstly, no one said it was ill-fated, they were talking about the current state of affairs.

Secondly, I thought the point of what people opposing UWS was that it wasn't the same level of education that Easterners 'pride' themselves for.

Thirdly haven't people kept saying in this thread that high-tier firms weren't their goal, that the bar was, and that UWS was perfectly able in that area.

Your opinion and interpretation.

As for what UWS Law Students want to do, I don't represent them. Many want to go into corporate law from what I gather. There are also a good bunch who want to do criminal law.

As for the bar, UWS is great in that area. The Unit; Advocacy is highly renouned and taught by barristers and judges. Most of the unit will encompass mooting and practicing how to file Appeals.

L

LaraB

sikeveo said:
How come people dont pay out med schools as much as law schools? Even though the degrees are of similar status.
might be because there's fewer med schools... a lot of unis have med science but fewer have medicine... almost every uni has law....

Jonathan A

HSC
What brings down UWS?

I will be honest. The Unions, the fact we named two buildings after Gough Whitlam and we have a high presence of lefties. Luckily enough, people from the west also are hard-lined conservatives (many of them). Sort of balances it out.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:

You shouldn't claim to win an argument when the person hasn't replied yet :rolleyes:

Jonathan A said:
No one is bagging uws. But you cant let off your cannot and not expect people to come in and call on something that is blatantly spurious.

JA said:
You shouldn't speculate about people you do not know. As some of you have mentioned UAI shouldnt be a measure of how good a law student is. I do not see how it is valid to then use uai so as to demonstrate how she is better than all these awful people saying not so nice things about uws.

I also do not doubt that BDW and Mallesons take UWS grads.

JA said:
Um...i think most people would agree.

JA said:
I don't think anyone was contending that having a university in the west is a bad thing. Or that this kind of argument somehow makes a the unversity bad. Personally I think it is a good idea.

JA said:
I don't think anyone can challenged that.

JA said:
Did you say you were a member of the Liberal party? But while you have a stab at the east you may as well have a stab at the north.

Personally I don't have any issue with people in the west having access to education. Being someone of the center to center left I'm all in favour of it. Again you seem to have misjudged what the debate is about. Or somehow feel like linking acces to education in the west to the quality of education at uws. There is no link and no argument. Your about point has no causal link.

You are talking about people suggesting UWS people are less able and then you go on able the east being worried about access to education? An opinion on whether western suburbs people should have access to education has nothing to do with whether UWS people are less able.

JA said:
I believe people who work for big firms happen to be Practitioners too. I find your claim that the big firms take uws grads as spurious. When there was a big kerfuffle a few years ago about a large sydney firm taking ONLY USYD AND UNSW grads people accepted it. the law firms justified it. It is a fact. It may change in the future but that is as it is today.

I think it would be wrong to suggest to a yr 12 that the big sydney law firms take just as many uws grads as unsw and usyd grads. This may not be the case in the future but it is the case now.

Last edited:

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
Because undergraduate medicine is very homogenous and inconsequential on the completion of the degree, across all universities. Law is different to this in many ways.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
So when UWS commences its Medical School, it won't be subject to the same discrimination as all other degrees at UWS?

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:
What brings down UWS?

I will be honest. The Unions, the fact we named two buildings after Gough Whitlam and we have a high presence of lefties. Luckily enough, people from the west also are hard-lined conservatives (many of them). Sort of balances it out.
lol i won't start but so wrong :p

just coz you're not a liberal doens't make you a hardline lefty....

and lol "we" didn't name the building after Gough Whitlam for some unidentifiable reason - think about who got the uni going! it's only natural that some respect should go back to people involved in getting it to exist in the firstplace:p

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
So when UWS commences its Medical School, it won't be subject to the same discrimination as all other degrees at UWS?
Yes for the reason described above, and that law students/lawyers like to nitpick either about their own degree or defend what they chose to combine it with until the bitter end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)